• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

That all may change when Playstation Now launches. Makes PS4 backwards compatible and will also let you play classic PS2 and PS1 games

No, there will never be backwards compatibility with PS3 or PS2 games, and what you're referring to is the online server-based gaming Gaikai system that Sony bought. This is a cloud-based system where access is granted on a monthly subscription basis to stream a *very limited* number of "the most popular" classic titles.

That's not backwards compatibility, and is very similar to retro browser-based games that run off a central server.

After reading what I wrote, I think I may have worded that incorrectly. But you're right. It's not backwards compatibility but only a solution for the backwards compatibility problem.

No it isn't, it's just Sony's way to make money by double-dipping into the wallets of nostalgic gamers. It's no different than their PS2 Classics (what % of PS2 games are available?) line on PSN, other than it being cloud-based.

First off, Sony has stated that there will only be a limited number of games available, with only a few at launch, so lots of PS3 and PS2 games will never be available (like all the superhero ones and other licenses) and the PSN/indie/IOS-level stuff will far outnumber the retail disc games.

Secondly, you will have to pay a monthly subscription for this, and Sony will double-dip and certainly not allow disc-game owners to play for free.

Now, this might be worth it for some people (Sony retail games will probably be there - GoW, Infamous, LBP, etc.), depending on the launch library of *other* game publishers, but it's certainly not a solution to the current BC woes, and only Sony would try to spin it like that.

That all may change when Playstation Now launches. Makes PS4 backwards compatible and will also let you play classic PS2 and PS1 games

No, there will never be backwards compatibility with PS3 or PS2 games, and what you're referring to is the online server-based gaming Gaikai system that Sony bought. This is a cloud-based system where access is granted on a monthly subscription basis to stream a *very limited* number of "the most popular" classic titles.

That's not backwards compatibility, and is very similar to retro browser-based games that run off a central server.

After reading what I wrote, I think I may have worded that incorrectly. But you're right. It's not backwards compatibility but only a solution for the backwards compatibility problem.

No it isn't, it's just Sony's way to make money by double-dipping into the wallets of nostalgic gamers. It's no different than their PS2 Classics (what % of PS2 games are available?) line on PSN, other than it being cloud-based.

First off, Sony has stated that there will only be a limited number of games available, with only a few at launch, so lots of PS3 and PS2 games will never be available (like all the superhero ones and other licenses) and the PSN/indie/IOS-level stuff will far outnumber the retail disc games.

Secondly, you will have to pay a monthly subscription for this, and Sony will double-dip and certainly not allow disc-game owners to play for free.

Now, this might be worth it for some people (Sony retail games will probably be there - GoW, Infamous, LBP, etc.), depending on the launch library of *other* game publishers, but it's certainly not a solution to the current BC woes, and only Sony would try to spin it like that.

I've never understood the need for backwards compatability. I have a "fat" PS3 and never played my PS2 games on it. I would think if you are worried about playing your discs then just put them in your PS3.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. Well, that, and the inevitable bricked consoles. A buddy of mine already had to have a replacement ps4 sent to him. :tonofbricks:

By the time I buy one, Sony will have worked out the kinks on their release hardware and shrunk the chips even smaller, making it a win-win for yours truly.

Same here

I see many people still trying to Flip PS4's on ebay.ca for $650 or more and there are still stores selling it for $399

I think Sony may have shot themselves in the foot with their "strategy" for the PS4. By selling-out the initial shipments, then not really re-stocking for the pre- and post- Christmas buying sprees, they cost themselves a LOT of money. People laugh saying how easy it was to find the XB-ONE, but guess what that really meant. That there were units that could sell, and actually make money for Microsoft. A lot of the retailers around here where I've looked, have had them in stock, but most of them have said they've had them in stock because Microsoft had them in the pipeline, all-ready to ship out as demand warranted. I've seen store shelves be full in the morning, empty by that night, then full again the next morning. That's called turning over your freight, and actually making money.

Sony on the other hand, has been mostly cobwebs on store shelves as most of the stores haven't been able to get any into stock. Now who do you think did better pre- and post- Christmas sales? The company who had product to put on the shelves, or the company whose shelf space needs to be dusted every few days.

And obviously, the PS 4 wasn't as big as people were hoping for. When scalpers couldn't get hundreds over retail on e-bay before Christmas, it just showed that it wasn't as "must have" as the PS3 was before that Christmas release.

As time goes on and unless Sony gets their product out there and in force, they're going to fall behind just because if parents are going to buy their kids a game system, if there is only one to choose from, that's the one they'll buy.

Why any game company would schedule a system launch, right before the holidays, then intentionally not have more than enough units to ship to retail before Christmas is an epic fail on their part.

You've got it wrong, dude. It's not a strategy on Sony's part to have no units available; they produced as many as they could for the holiday and sold out. They also sold a tremendous amount of units; the PS4 has already sold more units than the Wii-U, which has been out for more than a year.

Long term, this all doesn't matter anyway. The PS3 got off to an abysmal start, but ended the generation by beating out the 360 in total units sold. The launch window, and first year are really not indicative of how a system will do in the long run.

I've never understood the need for backwards compatability. I have a "fat" PS3 and never played my PS2 games on it. I would think if you are worried about playing your discs then just put them in your PS3.

really?

Why would I want to have my PS, PS2, clunky PS3 and PS4 all laying around when I could just have 1 system? I hate clutter!

These are video games. Not used kleenex. Sometimes I want to play old ones again... or really loved a game I'd like to just pick it up and go at it for a bit.

Im surprised something like this escapes some people.

The fat PS3 was poorly designed.

I cooked two and finally threw in the towel and settled for a slim.

(The Triple beep shut down is like a PC's blue screen of death).

With all that equipment in such a small place they needed more fans.

So now I have no backwards compatibility.

Now I got to go dig up my PS2 and PS1 in the attic if I want to play them again.

Assuming I kept them...

Oh yeah for those that don't know, GTA V was built to fry those fat PS3's so be warned and if you get the 3 beep death call shoot me a pm, I know a work around to get the system up temporarily to get your info off of it.

:sorry:

really?

Why would I want to have my PS, PS2, clunky PS3 and PS4 all laying around when I could just have 1 system? I hate clutter!

These are video games. Not used kleenex. Sometimes I want to play old ones again... or really loved a game I'd like to just pick it up and go at it for a bit.

Im surprised something like this escapes some people.

I say this with zero statistical back-up, but I think you're in the minority on backwards capability. Sure, every now and then I get a wild hair up my and wish I can play an older game, but for the most part, once I beat a game, beat the dlc, and get as many achievements/trophies I can, I'm usually done with the game. It's a nice option to have, but if I can get a slimmed down system for $100 cheaper, I can get by without backwards capability. Besides, there always seems to be at least one can't miss game coming out by the time I'm bored with my game library.

I think backwards compatibility is a compelling selling-point for the first year or so of a new console cycle, but people quickly stop caring as the new console accumulates its own library of great games.

Some people really want it, but judging by how well these new consoles have sold, those people may be overemphasizing its importance overall. In other words, the lack of BC clearly isn't impeding sales if Sony managed to completely sell out of its initial stock, and Microsoft managed to move 3 million units, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Exactly, and why would anyone want to keep old systems, controller, peripherals, et al, all up and running, when with BC you can just load any game you want. I find it incredibly bothersome to have to keep boxes and boxes of controllers and other just to finish up some games, when I didn't have to with the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 or PS2.

That's the great thing about PC gaming or buying through STEAM, you can play games you bought decades ago on your brand new system.

Which brings up another reason I always wait to get a new system. The launch games tend to suck. That, or they were made cross-platform, and what you're really getting is a ps3/360 game with slightly better graphics. If I drop $500 on a shiny new next gen system, and the first thing I do is download Pitfall for $5, I'm doing something wrong.

Exactly, and why would anyone want to keep old systems, controller, peripherals, et al, all up and running, when with BC you can just load any game you want. I find it incredibly bothersome to have to keep boxes and boxes of controllers and other just to finish up some games, when I didn't have to with the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 or PS2.

That's the great thing about PC gaming or buying through STEAM, you can play games you bought decades ago on your brand new system.

I wish I was more PC savvy. The mods alone are worth it. People are still creating mods for games that came out a decade ago, like Morrowind. :o

Some people really want it, but judging by how well these new consoles have sold, those people may be overemphasizing its importance overall. In other words, the lack of BC clearly isn't impeding sales

Hate to state the obvious, but the general public had no clue and I've seen a people at Futureshop, EB or Best Buy complaining that their PS4 or Xbox One won't play their PS3/360 games. I've heard the same story from friends, relatives, etc. that had no clue that they couldn't play their old games like they could on the Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360.

At a recent post-Christmas party, a few parents were complaining about it - "Why did I buy it now?" when their kids are still playing the PS3 and the PS4 is gathering dust due to no killer games. When they bought it, they thought it would play last-gen games to make up for the year or so you need to wait for the hot PS4 titles, just like the generations of the past.

Outside of hardcore gamers who read up on this stuff, how can you expect the average person to have a clue - it's not like Sony or Microsoft advertised this omission.

Which brings up another reason I always wait to get a new system. The launch games tend to suck. That, or they were made cross-platform, and what you're really getting is a ps3/360 game with slightly better graphics.

lol I thought the same thing, and remembered back to the Xbox 360 and how absolutely terrible those first wave/year of games were. There were a few good ones, but the release games were horrible and most were Xbox games with a spit-shine, and I decided to save my money for when it makes sense.

Some people really want it, but judging by how well these new consoles have sold, those people may be overemphasizing its importance overall. In other words, the lack of BC clearly isn't impeding sales

Hate to state the obvious, but the general public had no clue and I've seen a people at Futureshop, EB or Best Buy complaining that their PS4 or Xbox One won't play their PS3/360 games. I've heard the same story from friends, relatives, etc. that had no clue that they couldn't play their old games like they could on the Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360.

At a recent post-Christmas party, a few parents were complaining about it - "Why did I buy it now?" when their kids are still playing the PS3 and the PS4 is gathering dust due to no killer games. When they bought it, they thought it would play last-gen games to make up for the year or so you need to wait for the hot PS4 titles, just like the generations of the past.

Outside of hardcore gamers who read up on this stuff, how can you expect the average person to have a clue - it's not like Sony or Microsoft advertised this omission.

I'd agree. I've come to expect backwards compatibility, and the lack of it is why I have no current plans to buy a PS4. The fact that it doesn't have it isn't something I went looking for--I assumed it would have it and was surprised when I happened to hear that it didn't. :fear:

I wish I was more PC savvy. The mods alone are worth it. People are still creating mods for games that came out a decade ago, like Morrowind. :o

Yep, that's a huge reason I've been mostly a PC gamer for 25 years. :cloud9:

I say this with zero statistical back-up, but I think you're in the minority on backwards capability.

Not according to online polls, which had BC as the #1 factor in buying a new Xbox One or PS4 console. But Sony and Microsoft colluded (after all, they want you buying new PS4 release not playing old PS3 games) and none offered BC, which meant that ADD gaming addicts either had to skip this generation or suck on the MS/Sony teat.

But like the used game fiasco, had the PS4 offered BC and the Xbox One not (or vice versa) that would have had a serious impact on sales. I own both consoles, and games + controllers for both and if one had included BC, I would have bought 2 of them first day.

And I'm not alone, but again, due to collusion there was no choice.

Google?

C'mon man, you're the last person I expect to stand up for dumb consumers, especially today when you can pull up this info in 30 seconds on your phone.

I agree that BC would be nice, but on the whole it's not that crucial to a console's success beyond the first year or so.

I'd agree. I've come to expect backwards compatibility, and the lack of it is why I have no current plans to buy a PS4. The fact that it doesn't have it isn't something I went looking for--I assumed it would have it and was surprised when I happened to hear that it didn't. :fear:

If you've purchased a PS3 in the last 5- 6years, either for yourself or for your children, you'd know it doesn't play PS2 games, so I'm not sure why the general public would automatically assume that the PS4 would play PS3 games.

C'mon man, you're the last person I expect to stand up for dumb consumers

Huh? I'm not standing up for anyone, just stating the facts.

Outside of gamers who researched it, there was a clear expectation of BC in consoles, due it being a defacto feature for generations, even up to the Wii U. You've played games for a while right, and you don't feel there was any validity in the consumer expectation for BC? Come on.

Let's say I don't read Car & Driver every week, and discover that my new car doesn't come with wheels - but all my other cars came with wheels, and the sales man tells me that "in September's Car and Driver webcast, we clearly stated that wheels are no longer a standard item".

Clearly that is hyperbole to illustrate a point, but Sony and Microsoft totally changed the BC rules this generation, and I never saw one ad disclaimer outlining that it doesn't play PS3 / Xbox 360 games.

If you've purchased a PS3 in the last 5- 6years, either for yourself or for your children, you'd know it doesn't play PS2 games, so I'm not sure why the general public would automatically assume that the PS4 would play PS3 games.

I'm not sure why you're so anti-BC, but clearly we are talking about RELEASE consoles and the importance (YOUR words) of BC in the first year, right? BC is only important (your words) until quality games come out, usually 1-1.5 years or so.

Let's stick to that then.