• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Some people really want it, but judging by how well these new consoles have sold, those people may be overemphasizing its importance overall. In other words, the lack of BC clearly isn't impeding sales

Hate to state the obvious, but the general public had no clue and I've seen a people at Futureshop, EB or Best Buy complaining that their PS4 or Xbox One won't play their PS3/360 games. I've heard the same story from friends, relatives, etc. that had no clue that they couldn't play their old games like they could on the Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360.

At a recent post-Christmas party, a few parents were complaining about it - "Why did I buy it now?" when their kids are still playing the PS3 and the PS4 is gathering dust due to no killer games. When they bought it, they thought it would play last-gen games to make up for the year or so you need to wait for the hot PS4 titles, just like the generations of the past.

Outside of hardcore gamers who read up on this stuff, how can you expect the average person to have a clue - it's not like Sony or Microsoft advertised this omission.

I'd agree. I've come to expect backwards compatibility, and the lack of it is why I have no current plans to buy a PS4. The fact that it doesn't have it isn't something I went looking for--I assumed it would have it and was surprised when I happened to hear that it didn't. :fear:

If you've purchased a PS3 in the last 5- 6years, either for yourself or for your children, you'd know it doesn't play PS2 games, so I'm not sure why the general public would automatically assume that the PS4 would play PS3 games.

When did that happen? I bought my PS3 at launch.

Outside of gamers who researched it, there was a clear expectation of BC in consoles, due it being a defacto feature for generations, even up to the Wii U. You've played games for a while right, and you don't feel there was any validity in the consumer expectation for BC? Come on.

Because of the lack of BC in the vast majority of PS3 units, and the half-working BC of the 360, and knowing that both companies and the industry as a whole is trying to go digital...honestly, no.

When did that happen? I bought my PS3 at launch.

COI is just dancing for us, as we're obviously talking about release consoles. No one is going to buy a PS3 today looking to play PS2 games doh! but at launch it is very important.

And even hardcore gamers are complaining right now, as they can't play all the FREE PS Plus content on their new PS4, and are forced to drag out the old PS3 to hold them over. Some are even re-buying consoles they traded in to get all the killer free games.

Outside of gamers who researched it, there was a clear expectation of BC in consoles, due it being a defacto feature for generations, even up to the Wii U. You've played games for a while right, and you don't feel there was any validity in the consumer expectation for BC? Come on.

Because of the lack of BC in the vast majority of PS3 units, and the half-working BC of the 360, and knowing that both companies and the industry as a whole is trying to go digital...honestly, no.

What's digital got to do with backwards compatibility?

That all may change when Playstation Now launches. Makes PS4 backwards compatible and will also let you play classic PS2 and PS1 games

No, there will never be backwards compatibility with PS3 or PS2 games, and what you're referring to is the online server-based gaming Gaikai system that Sony bought. This is a cloud-based system where access is granted on a monthly subscription basis to stream a *very limited* number of "the most popular" classic titles.

That's not backwards compatibility, and is very similar to retro browser-based games that run off a central server.

After reading what I wrote, I think I may have worded that incorrectly. But you're right. It's not backwards compatibility but only a solution for the backwards compatibility problem.

No it isn't, it's just Sony's way to make money by double-dipping into the wallets of nostalgic gamers. It's no different than their PS2 Classics (what % of PS2 games are available?) line on PSN, other than it being cloud-based.

First off, Sony has stated that there will only be a limited number of games available, with only a few at launch, so lots of PS3 and PS2 games will never be available (like all the superhero ones and other licenses) and the PSN/indie/IOS-level stuff will far outnumber the retail disc games.

Secondly, you will have to pay a monthly subscription for this, and Sony will double-dip and certainly not allow disc-game owners to play for free.

Now, this might be worth it for some people (Sony retail games will probably be there - GoW, Infamous, LBP, etc.), depending on the launch library of *other* game publishers, but it's certainly not a solution to the current BC woes, and only Sony would try to spin it like that.

I've never understood the need for backwards compatability. I have a "fat" PS3 and never played my PS2 games on it. I would think if you are worried about playing your discs then just put them in your PS3.

really?

Why would I want to have my PS, PS2, clunky PS3 and PS4 all laying around when I could just have 1 system? I hate clutter!

These are video games. Not used kleenex. Sometimes I want to play old ones again... or really loved a game I'd like to just pick it up and go at it for a bit.

Im surprised something like this escapes some people.

It doesn't escape me. I don't know why you can't set up something to make it not look like clutter. I'm sure most people here have a way of accessing/displaying their comics and not calling it clutter. Whats so hard about doing that with a few boxes. They don't take up that much space.

It doesn't escape me. I don't know why you can't set up something to make it not look like clutter. I'm sure most people here have a way of accessing/displaying their comics and not calling it clutter. Whats so hard about doing that with a few boxes. They don't take up that much space.

I'm taking a wild guess here and saying you're single or have no kids. :insane:

It's more about hating to hook and unhook system from my television for me. Pain in the rear. Was doing a Sega Saturn and a PS2 for a while and hated the hooking/unhooking, so not having to do PS2/PS3 was a major factor in my buy. If not for that plus Blu-Ray, I wouldn't have bought one. I have no reason at all to buy a PS4 right now because it offers nothing new until some decent games come out. I might not have bought it yet even with backwards compatibility, but without it, there's absolutely NO reason. (shrug)

If you've purchased a PS3 in the last 5- 6years, either for yourself or for your children, you'd know it doesn't play PS2 games, so I'm not sure why the general public would automatically assume that the PS4 would play PS3 games.

I'm not sure why you're so anti-BC, but clearly we are talking about RELEASE consoles and the importance (YOUR words) of BC in the first year, right? BC is only important (your words) until quality games come out, usually 1-1.5 years or so.

Let's stick to that then.

Why would I be "anti-BC"? I own stacks and stacks of PS3 games and would love it.

Saying that I don't think BC isn't as important as it is made out to be by some isn't a dismissal of its merits, nor am I arguing that you shouldn't want it. Heck, I even said that not buying into the new consoles and instead, spending that money to delve deeper into the stellar PS3 library is a smart move. I'm simply saying that it won't matter a couple of years from now when the new consoles have titles of merit, and that I don't think it's unreasonable for people to spend 2 minutes googling a product before spending $500-$600 on it.

Actually married with 2 kids. They really are small boxes and yet we all have tons of boxes full of books. I have 3 systems hooked up to my tv at this time and a cable box and it looks fine.

Heck, I even said that not buying into the new consoles and instead, spending that money to delve deeper into the stellar PS3 library is a smart move. I'm simply saying that it won't matter a couple of years from now when the new consoles have titles of merit

Then we agree, and I too am waiting a year or two before jumping in to the PS4, as there are not enough great games (as in none as of today lol ) to warrant buying a console when I would still be playing the PS3 exclusively. It would make no sense economically to sit a PS4 on the home theater just to collect dust.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to spend 2 minutes googling a product before spending $500-$600 on it.

It's not reasonable to think I'd spend time Googling features that previous systems had to make sure they didn't get removed. A good idea, yes, but not one that will always occur to me. :blush:

Heck, I even said that not buying into the new consoles and instead, spending that money to delve deeper into the stellar PS3 library is a smart move. I'm simply saying that it won't matter a couple of years from now when the new consoles have titles of merit

Then we agree, and I too am waiting a year or two before jumping in to the PS4, as there are not enough great games (as in none as of today lol ) to warrant buying a console when I would still be playing the PS3 exclusively. It would make no sense economically to sit a PS4 on the home theater just to collect dust.

Completely agree with this.

Actually married with 2 kids.

Are they out of the crib yet? Our house has 4 controllers minimum per console, and 8+ for the Wii (we have double PS3/Xbox/Wii consoles for the basement). This is because sometimes they have parties where 8 kids play Mario kart concurrently and they get prizes to the top finishers.

Do the math on the sheer amount of peripherals and controllers here, and then tell me it's "no clutter".

Actually married with 2 kids.

Are they out of the crib yet? Our house has 4 controllers minimum per console, and 8+ for the Wii (we have double PS3/Xbox/Wii consoles for the basement). This is because sometimes they have parties where 8 kids play Mario kart concurrently and they get prizes to the top finishers.

Do the math on the sheer amount of peripherals and controllers here, and then tell me it's "no clutter".

Yes, they're 12 and 6. Find something nifty to store them in. Is it really that hard?

I did buy a PS4 because there are a couple of games coming out this year that I'm going to want, and I was interested in checking out the hardware. But I wouldn't (and haven't) recommend buying it now.

I did buy a PS4 because there are a couple of games coming out this year that I'm going to want

Which games?

Infamous: Second Son (coming in March), The Witcher 3, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Played and loved all the predecessors to these titles

That all may change when Playstation Now launches. Makes PS4 backwards compatible and will also let you play classic PS2 and PS1 games

No, there will never be backwards compatibility with PS3 or PS2 games, and what you're referring to is the online server-based gaming Gaikai system that Sony bought. This is a cloud-based system where access is granted on a monthly subscription basis to stream a *very limited* number of "the most popular" classic titles.

That's not backwards compatibility, and is very similar to retro browser-based games that run off a central server.

After reading what I wrote, I think I may have worded that incorrectly. But you're right. It's not backwards compatibility but only a solution for the backwards compatibility problem.

No it isn't, it's just Sony's way to make money by double-dipping into the wallets of nostalgic gamers. It's no different than their PS2 Classics (what % of PS2 games are available?) line on PSN, other than it being cloud-based.

First off, Sony has stated that there will only be a limited number of games available, with only a few at launch, so lots of PS3 and PS2 games will never be available (like all the superhero ones and other licenses) and the PSN/indie/IOS-level stuff will far outnumber the retail disc games.

Secondly, you will have to pay a monthly subscription for this, and Sony will double-dip and certainly not allow disc-game owners to play for free.

Now, this might be worth it for some people (Sony retail games will probably be there - GoW, Infamous, LBP, etc.), depending on the launch library of *other* game publishers, but it's certainly not a solution to the current BC woes, and only Sony would try to spin it like that.

Is it the answer to BC? No. Is it a solution? Yes. You're absolutely right that there is going to be a limited number of games, as of now. You have to remember that there is still a lot of unanswered questions regarding this service. Some people think PS Now is the future of gaming. Play it on Sony TVs, your PS4, Vita, and in the future, other TVs, tablets, phones. And with all the talk about clutter that is just going on in this thread, it sounds like you guys would like the service. You don't need a console, just play games from the cloud on your TV with your controller. Of course the PS4 isn't going to be backwards compatible. You can't build a PS3 in your PS4, but the service they're providing allows you to play those games on your PS4, but if you don't want to play on your PS4, then play on your TV, whenever that happens. That fixes your BC problem. It doesn't fix it completely, but I believe it's a step in the right direction. It's a solution, not the answer.

I did buy a PS4 because there are a couple of games coming out this year that I'm going to want

Which games?

Infamous: Second Son (coming in March), The Witcher 3, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Played and loved all the predecessors to these titles

Also excited to see how DriveClub will turn out to be and hopefully The Order:1886 comes out as well. And for games on both consoles, I'm really excited for Watch Dogs and Destiny