• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT??!!

265 posts in this topic

If you take a look at the certification numbers on these books, 95% of them are fresh submissions just back from CGC. July 2004. All the X-Men and most of the ASM have the same client/group number. Which leads me to believe most of these are NOT consignment books, and JE submissions.

The other thing is Doc, if you are tired of hearing the same old retorts maybe you shouldn't start a new thread creaming all over JE's books and making the "O" face. I mean, what do you expect at this point? You may not think pressing is a big deal. We do. So deal with it. You just seem to have such a huge stake in not letting any of the waters get disturbed. Why?

We're not going away. Stop the sobbin'.

I think you're mixing up your Docs. Drdonaldblake started this thread, but has NOT participated at all in the discussion about pressing. Drbanner did not start this thread, but HAS participated in the pressing discussion.

Regardless, if you take a look at the certification numbers on these books, 95% of them are fresh submissions just back from CGC. July 2004. All the X-Men and most of the ASM have the same client/group number, which leads me to believe most of these are from the same consignor that just got their books back. makepoint.gif

So let us in on the secret... if these are ALL consignments, which landfill does Jason bury his stacks and stacks and stacks of Con purchases?

The other thing is Doc, if you are tired of hearing the same old retorts maybe you shouldn't start a new thread creaming all over JE's books and making the "O" face. I mean, what do you expect at this point? You may not think pressing is a big deal. We do. So deal with it. You just seem to have such a huge stake in not letting any of the waters get disturbed. Why?

We're not going away. Stop the sobbin'.

I think you're mixing up your Docs. Drdonaldblake started this thread, but has NOT participated at all in the discussion about pressing. Drbanner did not start this thread, but HAS participated in the pressing discussion.

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Actually though, I'm not commenting on the issue of pressing at all. What I am disturbed by, and felt compelled to comment on, is the persecution of an ebay seller that occurs by a select group of individuals on this board whenever this seller's name comes up (or for that matter whenever any of their books get mentioned here)!! 893frustrated.gif

I did get my Docs mixed up. My apologies. DB. I did realize my error and thought I had edited my post before it got quoted.

But back to the issue at hand. Do you really think JE needs to worry about us? I doubt we've harmed his business in any way. Why sooooo defensive? I do not believe I have made one derogatory remark about him as a person.

And why isn't it just as easy, if not easier, to assume that these were all JE's submissions. Or is he tapped into the one anonymous consignor that can keep supplying him with these gems?

Come on, think!

If this were truly a witch hunt, then as soon as JE posted his auctions, we'd be on here calling him out....and roasting him. That is not the case. I saw these auctions go up...I wasn't planning on saying a thing.

What gets me is when the inevitable "O" face thread does appear, which is basically the same advertisement over and over again, and we are all supposed to faint and fawn at the greatness of the auctions. But gawd forbid if we should question the source of the books.

What do you suggest.....that we just shut our mouths, keep our opinions to ourselves and never question these books? I'll do that, if no one starts the fluff advert-thread every time he carts out his next load of "impressives".

No problem. thumbsup2.gif

I'm not here to defend anyone, but the fact that I was the fourth person on this thread to comment that the Jason witch-hunt comments are getting old is telling. Personally, I think the books stand out on their own merit (a run of the highest graded copies of one of the most collected runs in comic book history), and the "who" is selling them should be irrelevant! Unfortunately, that's not the perspective the title of this thread portrays. confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyhow, I think the clue to the source of these gems is in the original post... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am not going to weigh in on the pressing subject again, but I will tell you that if you think Jason is going to show up at our chat board dinner after someone shows him this thread, you have to be nuts. makepoint.gif

After talking to him and other large dealers/collector's for the past few months and telling them the dinners are not as brutal as the boards and telling them that they have so much to contribute to our dinner discussions, why would Jason or any major player want to show up and hang out with us after reading this kind of thread? I have spent a lot of time talking to people like Bob Overstreet, Michelle Nolan, Jason, Tom Brulato, Josh Nathenson, John Hauser, and others getting them to show up at our dinners because MOST of the people at the dinners would love for them to talk to us about their views on the hobby, some of the books they have owned, stories about certain deals and other things. These people have information to help us move the hobby forward and to teach those of us that don't know as much about comics as they do. Statments like "I'm going to question him about this subject because I don't like his response" are really going to help these people show up. Yeah, right. 893frustrated.gif

Please remember, when we invite these people to OUR dinner, they are our guests and they should be treated as such. Also please keep in mind, that if/when they do show up, I gave my word that it would be fun for them because it's only about collecting and reading comics. I value my word, it is all I have in this hobby, please help me to keep it.

Please remember, when we invite these people to OUR dinner, they are our guests and they should be treated as such. Also please keep in mind, that if/when they do show up, I gave my word that it would be fun for them because it's only about collecting and reading comics. I value my word, it is all I have in this hobby, please help me to keep it.

I HATE when I have to agree with the Stevie Bee!!!!!!!!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Steve,

If you knew me in the slightest, which you don't, you would know I would never harangue someone at a dinner. Give me a shred of credit.

Brad

Remind them that not everyone on these forums particpates in these witch hunts, and just as many of those not particpating in the witch hunts show up at the dinner.

If they want they can sit with me, +1, and Chris and talk hobby talk all night long. I feel pretty certain that none of us will attack them. If they still do not want to attend, then tell them they should come to watch at the end of the night as Chris drinks the beer that is spilt in the dirty ash trays.

Remind them that not everyone on these forums particpates in these witch hunts, and just as many of those not particpating in the witch hunts show up at the dinner.

If they want they can sit with me, +1, and Chris and talk hobby talk all night long. I feel pretty certain that none of us will attack them. If they still do not want to attend, then tell them they should come to watch at the end of the night as Chris drinks the beer that is spilt in the dirty ash trays.

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif27_laughing.gif

He is right though, Steve. You know me. How much do I talk about comics & grading in person, except for "Hey how'd you like (insert comic here)"???

Although, I can understand your apprehension. Do you really want the "industry players" sitting with me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Lantern and "+1" are used to it. tongue.gif

After talking to him and other large dealers/collector's for the past few months and telling them the dinners are not as brutal as the boards and telling them that they have so much to contribute to our dinner discussions, why would Jason or any major player want to show up and hang out with us after reading this kind of thread? I have spent a lot of time talking to people like Bob Overstreet, Michelle Nolan, Jason, Tom Brulato, Josh Nathenson, John Hauser, and others getting them to show up at our dinners because MOST of the people at the dinners would love for them to talk to us about their views on the hobby, some of the books they have owned, stories about certain deals and other things. These people have information to help us move the hobby forward and to teach those of us that don't know as much about comics as they do.

Good stuff Steve. I agree that it's unfortunate that many people in the industry consider these boards "brutal", because in my opinion they should be used to move the hobby forward, not hold it back. Having some of the pioneers in the field participate would certainly help, but I can see why they're reluctant to do so.

There's great potential for these boards to be used to promote our hobby, but for whatever reason that potential is not being realized...in fact, the negativity is overwhelming at times. frown.gif

If you knew me in the slightest, which you don't, you would know I would never harangue someone at a dinner. Give me a shred of credit.

Exactly, and I really hate these "don't air any dirty laundry on here, or XXX will not show up at the dinner and we all won't be able to kiss his a$$" kind of threats that cause only the greasiest fanboy to sweat.

I agree that forum get-togethers should be about fun, and not about business, but this "why would X come once he reads this thread?" is bound to bring out the brainless sheep fanboys voicing their unparalleled support.

"We should close down the forums, or the BSDs won't never come to our dinners!!"

Yeah - that is one of the reasons that I took some time off from here. I also got tired of all the book flippers and mouth runners that didn't really seem to know what they were talking about. But as far as Jason goes, I have bought and continue to buy a good many books from him but I am more careful now as I am with most dealers that I know to be large submitters. I have heard thru the grapevine that a good many of his high grade books are resubs and I just don't like paying 9.6 prices for 9.2 or 9.4 books. We all know grading is subjective - apparently cgc could not fix that problem - so all this resub stuff gets tricky. What is the real grade or value of the book after all?

In weighing on this subject I'll just note that to me, pressing isn't all that big a deal. I've heard constant rumors as to how much pressing goes on in the community so on and so forth. From the times I've observed Jason going through boxes and boxes of books, he's doing so very carefully and with a great eye. He's not just going through the boxes quickly and skimming through them.

If he's pressing the books -- I certainly don't have any evidence to back it up. If I did (and I'll just note this to Steve) I'd have no problem asking Jason about it in person if I saw him and what his opinion was on it (without screaming or accusing him of anything, as I think many of us might handle it) and then try and determine how forthright he was in being honest about disclosing pressing. Otherwise, right now,I think a lot of us are just speculating as to what practice he's actually engaging in.

Maybe we don't want to believe this many nice books are out there or that one guy could find them all. Since Jason makes a living out of engaging in this sort of hunt, I'm perfectly willing to allow myself to believe that this entirely possible without rampant pressing.

And what exactly is your problem with this thread? Specifically.

I have no problem with this thread. I have a problem with someone who wants to question people that come to our dinners about questions that they have already answered or that they don't care to answer. Stating it on the boards will not help them show up. Heck, even I get tired of hearing some of the questions time and again, but as an ambassador for CGC and sometimes for the collecting community, I don't mind going over the answers again. angel.gif27_laughing.gif

Brad, you are correct, I don't know you that well yet. I was not saying you would do this, I was speaking to all, not just you, in hopes that NOBODY would do it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Chris, I should not bring anyone around you 27_laughing.gif

JC- you are overreacting to what I said

As EC (THE MAN!) says "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding" Oh, wait, that was Nick Lowe, Elvis just recorded it 893frustrated.gif

Since Jason makes a living out of engaging in this sort of hunt, I'm perfectly willing to allow myself to believe that this entirely possible without rampant pressing.

Could someone please point me in the direction of the raw NM+ 9.6 to 9.8 ASM 129's, X-Men 94's and GS X-Men #1's that are just sitting in dealer's boxes, waiting for Jason to pick them out.. consistently... at each show...??

foreheadslap.gif

I am not going to weigh in on the pressing subject again, but I will tell you that if you think Jason is going to show up at our chat board dinner after someone shows him this thread, you have to be nuts. makepoint.gif

After talking to him and other large dealers/collector's for the past few months and telling them the dinners are not as brutal as the boards and telling them that they have so much to contribute to our dinner discussions, why would Jason or any major player want to show up and hang out with us after reading this kind of thread? I have spent a lot of time talking to people like Bob Overstreet, Michelle Nolan, Jason, Tom Brulato, Josh Nathenson, John Hauser, and others getting them to show up at our dinners because MOST of the people at the dinners would love for them to talk to us about their views on the hobby, some of the books they have owned, stories about certain deals and other things. These people have information to help us move the hobby forward and to teach those of us that don't know as much about comics as they do. Statments like "I'm going to question him about this subject because I don't like his response" are really going to help these people show up. Yeah, right. 893frustrated.gif

Very well said. I, for one, hope that Jason Ewert does come, because I'd like to talk to him about how he gets his clients and what kind of percentages he charges for consigning. Same with Steve Lauterbach and others - my little world operates at a different level from those guys, but in the end, its all about moving product. I hope Tom Brulato and Doug Schmelling come so I can drool over their books - a definite highlight of the Philadelphia dinner was talking about Tripps' fabulous FFs. Always nice to hold a book that cost more than my house.

And again, the incredible [!@#%^&^] that comes up whenever Jason Ewert lists big fat piles of books is stunning. Maybe he works harder than anybody else, I don't know. If you think his books are pressed and restored, shut the [!@#%^&^] up and don't buy from him and leave it alone. mad.gif

I don't think there's any "drooling fanboy" going on here. I think its jealousy. Hell, I'm jealous of the books Ewert and Lauterbach (and Blazingbob and Captain Tripps and others) have. At least I'm big enough to admit it.

So for anybody who is on the fence about coming to the dinner, let it be said that the dinners are significantly less "brutal" then these boards. The forum dinners have been the highlight of the last couple big conventions, and I look forward to both Chicago and Baltimore with great anticiaption.