• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT??!!

265 posts in this topic

Donut, just for the record, let me assure you, this isn't about "jealousy" of any kind.

Don't worry, he knows that.

His "you're just jealous" comment is similar to the knuckleheads who scream "you're a big fagg" in order to stop a conversation they don't like.

Or "you're a big fanboy...." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes. Lesson #1 was "don't repeatedly accuse people of engaging in shady practices without proof."

Yep, now back to the Pressing Thread... grin.gif

I think you should change your forum ID to Joe_McCarthy.

His "you're just jealous" comment is similar to the knuckleheads who scream "you're a big fagg" in order to stop a conversation they don't like.

Nah, I say that to get threads hopping, not to stop them. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Admittingly, I don't read every post or every thread on these boards, so I'm a little out of the loop: where did all this Jason Ewert bashing come from? (And please, try to keep it brief).

I met, and bought my first book from him 12 years ago. He has always come across as an upstanding dealer who has access to some beautiful books, and outside of these boards, I have never met anyone who had a negative thing to say about him.

What has he done to deserve such animosity?

Nah, I say that to get threads hopping, not to stop them. 893naughty-thumb.gif

893blahblah.gif

["I would venture a guess that the majority of Jason's books are consignment items, and not raw gems he finds and slabs, nor 9.2's pressed into 9.8's." I agree that the chances of finding a raw 9.8 Spidey 129 in a dealer's box at a big show is pretty slim... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So again, which landfill does Ewert dump his stacks and stacks of Con buys at? You drive, I'll bring the shovel. grin.gif

I'm sure he finds raw gems and slabs them as well...just like me! grin.gif

What has he done to deserve such animosity?

That's the point, I don't see much animosity towards Jason at all. He makes no bones about pressing *some* books, CGC doesn't view pressing as resto, so *some* of his books come back higher than you'd expect.

No big deal, but there seems to be a contingent of forum members who want this Presto Comic thing put back in the closet, and never spoken of again. This group obviously feels that since there is a stigma associated with "pressing", that if this becomes prevalent, it could negatively affect the entire CGC market.

That's what the animosity comes from, as these two forces collide each and every time "pressing" is mentioned. Jason is not doing anything against the rules, nor is anyone else who presses *some* books.

If there isn't any animosity, and if it isn't a big deal, then why does there seem to be a "Jason Ewert must press his books" thread every month? (Threads I tend to avoid since they seem to be made up almost entirely of innuendo and speculation, and not an ounce of proof).

There is no personal animosity in this thread for gods sake. No one is accusing him of "shady" activity. Hammer practices "shady" activity.

No one is bashing Jason. How can you bash someone if you are simply asking the question of whether or not he engages in an activity that is deemed acceptable by CGC and is not an issue with many collectors? I'm not waiting to "lynch" him at the forum dinner. And what better place to hash this out than right here on the boards? If we want to start designating "acceptable thread topics", I wonder how many would actually survive.

To me, again and again and again, this is about a consumers right to have as much information about a big ticket item he is pulling his wallet out to buy. I totally accept CGCs position on pressing. I totally accept many collectors indifference to the issue of pressing. If you can't bother to understand that distinction, then you missed the whole point here.

I am simply saying that, for those of us who do consider it a form of "working the system" (note: no personal disparagement implied here), in order to inflate the price of a perfectly good book, I want to reserve the right to be supplied with as much information as possible about that book.

My feeling is, honestly, is pressing is very wide spread. We are talking major chunks of change. Why asking honest simple questions about this subject is seen as stirring up trouble is simply beyond my comprehension. It is the dramatic reaction to the raising of the question that I find more fascinating and puzzling than the original one.

And the business of selling comic books stopped having anything to do with peace love and understanding about the same time as the first CGC slab rolled out of Sarasota.

And the business of selling comic books stopped having anything to do with peace love and understanding about the same time as the first CGC slab rolled out of Sarasota.

Technically, the first slab rolled out of New Jersey. grin.gif

I understand now. There is no animosity towards Jason, he just has been designated as the Poster Boy for the industry-wide problem of Pressing as you see it. Got it. I can go back to ignoring this thread.

That's the point, I don't see much animosity towards Jason at all...No big deal...

There is no personal animosity in this thread for gods sake.

I'm pretty positive that Jason would not agree with you two!! makepoint.gif

TIP: If one were to wish to discuss the issue of pressing and not make it personal nor offensive to any one individual, one might consider posting their thoughts on a thread other than one titled "HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT???" or "JASON DOES IT AGAIN!". thumbsup2.gif

What leaves me shaking my head though, is that dealers and collectors alike seem so reactive to the meer mention of pressing on one hand, and on the other hand declare there is nothing wrong with it.

In other words, if they were truly indifferent to it, then advancing the possiblity of an individual pressing his books (not an accusation, just looking for an acknowledgement, clarification if you will), should raise no more ire than if I said that I think a certain dealer lists his auctions alphabetically.

To me that reveals the fact that no one is really indifferent. It's more a matter of "willingness to overlook" what is probably going on. Fine. But don't try mislabel those of us who are digging a little deeper.

I understand now. There is no animosity towards Jason, he just has been designated as the Poster Boy for the industry-wide problem of Pressing as you see it.

Don't forget to give Heritage their "props" too. tongue.gif

What leaves me shaking my head though, is that dealers and collectors alike seem so reactive to the meer mention of pressing on one hand, and on the other hand declare there is nothing wrong with it.

In other words, if they were truly indifferent to it, then advancing the possiblity of an individual pressing his books (not an accusation, just looking for an acknowledgement, clarification if you will), should raise no more ire than if I said that I think a certain dealer lists his auctions alphabetically.

To me that reveals the fact that no one is really indifferent. It's more a matter of "willingness to overlook" what is probably going on. Fine. But don't try mislabel those of us who are digging a little deeper.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

i met jason and tom b at the WC this year after sborock introduced them to me, seems like a nice guy. as for pressing? if CGC says it's OK with them, it's OK with me. thumbsup2.gif unfortuantely it's all about the moolah, crazy.gif hang on while i press some more of my books for my next submission. blush.gif

And finally, if we want to talk 'bout Thread Titles.......

"HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT?".........now how inflammatory, intentional or not, is that?

It's posing a question begging to be examined.

How 'bout next time its........

"JASON'S NEW HAND-CULLED BEAUTIES HIT EBAY!"

See, you guys just lack a little creativity!

27_laughing.gif

Holy CARP... 893whatthe.gif

First the Cal/ Shill thread.. and now this .. frown.gif

This pressing/resub/Jason E. topic seems to bring out the worst in many of you.

While I know all of you are allowed to have an opinion about the myriad of facets that make up this thread...

I must say..as I read through it.. I just felt sad.

Hearing you guys go at it like this does not seem at all healthy, or promote anything positive.

And yes, I am aware many of you know each other.. and no , I dont know half of your history.. or background with each other. It just seems alot of these posts made here have a personal slant to them , or other posts were taken personally by many of you.

If this is indeed just comic talk, meant to further the understanding of our hobby.. then fine.

But this seems to have been reduced to something I think we all can agree is not flattering.

And while it is your dinner Steve ..as adults.. I think everyone that attends a CGc dinner, knows going in to be ready to answer a few questions of some kind.

And if Jason E has nothing to hide.. why would he not want to show up.. and state for the record he does not press..resub .. whatever... if I were him I would come and face those who speak out against me.. hear them out and tell them why they are wrong.

But for you to ask the board to quiet down, or Jason will never come.. does seem a bit silly....if all you want is a highbrow dinner of elite guests.. then have a seperate dinner..plain and simple, then hold a CGC forum bru ha ha fun fest for the riff raff on another day.

Next are you gonig to impose a moratorium on certain topics ?

Sit there, chew your steak.. and talk about how Spidey could really beat Antman?

( and Jim..I really cant aggree with you, I doubt if you ask a seller if a book is pressed , that he will ever say yes.. unless you know him.. or he knows CGC will start to add it to their label.)

And on that topic.. of pressing

Is there really any way CGC can tell for sure 100% a comic has been pressed, or resubbed?

If not a 100% YES.. then how can we expect them to disclose if a comic has been pressed on not.. if they dont honestly know if it was pro pressed, or just stored under heavy books for 40 years.

While disclosing this info on a per comic basis , if they indeed were 100% sure it was pressed would be invaluable to the buyer..but where is the line drawn.?.. I can see why CGC has chosen to not address this yet as a company stance.. it is still not a science yet like real known resto work, such as color touch, trimming etc..but if I have learned anything from these pressing threads..as it stands now ..pressing /resto is still a matter of opinion.

Besides anyone paying 5-10x guide for a 9.6 comic is already taking a huge gamble.. so add into the mix it might be pressed, or not .. and for me personally .. that right there is reason enough to stay away from ultra HG.

But it is a game many play.. so I can see how there will always be sellers who prey on this, and try to manipulate the current system, and there will always be buyers who want to take a chance not only on the market.. but also a chance a 9.6 is really a true Blue Label 9.6..

It is after all only a number grade... 893frustrated.gif and to pay 5x 10x over guide for .2 or .4 is folly, in every sense of the word.

And to think I was gonna stay outa this thread.. foreheadslap.gif

What was I thinkin.

I hope your CGC dinner is fun either way, and you all can still discuss this topic and still remain friends.

No.. we all dont have to be best friends, I know that, but it never hurts to try.

Z