• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bank Deposit Boxes or a Safe. Or even just on your wall.

62 posts in this topic

I have nothing to add other than that I love storage related topics in regards to collectibles.  The thing with comic books is that they are so darn big (especially when slabbed) that it makes everything about them cumbersome (storage, transporting, shipping).  And the cost of supplies (like the CGC frames or even mylars) can be quite expensive, relatively speaking.  Baseball cards and coins are much easier to store and less costlier to do so. I wish there were some obvious answers but I have yet to come across any.  I have one of those big boy (at least for my bank) safe deposit boxes and can't imagine being able to store more than 7-8 CGC comics yet I could easily store thousands of ounces of gold (hundreds of pounds worth) or hundreds of slabbed coins or slabbed baseball cards.

2 hours ago, Jack Linguini said:

Hi there,

This is my first post on the boards, so please go easy on me if I ask a question that has already been covered.

@eccomic : what are the acrylic holders you are using on the Weird Tales on the top shelf of your weird tales cabinet ?

Bests

JL

Top loaders - you can purchase through hotflips - https://www.hotflips.com/catalog/top-loaders

On 2/1/2013 at 3:33 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Crazy, right? The thing weighs 200+ pounds. The original calculated shipping price was $175. Not sure how Amazon makes money on this kind of transaction.

Amazon isn't the one selling it, they make a 15% commission from the actual seller. Amazon works a little bit like eBay but has a bigger footprint in the marketplace.   

I got three deliveries from Amazon today. One guy dropped off a box of dog biscuits, another dropped off lightbulbs and the third just delivered  a replacement for a shoddy exercise strap.  All could easily have fit in one box.

A thief isn't going to say "man, look at all these comics, I'll just pick the ones I think are valuable" In reality, they'll just take them all cause everyone knows, comics are worth something. They are just looking for something they can sell and get money for, they don't care if it's $10, to them, that's $10 they didn't have before. So if you're really paranoid, put them in a bank safe deposit box and take scans of them, so you can at least look at them when you want.  myslabbedcomics.com is great.  

21 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

A thief isn't going to say "man, look at all these comics, I'll just pick the ones I think are valuable" In reality, they'll just take them all cause everyone knows, comics are worth something. They are just looking for something they can sell and get money for, they don't care if it's $10, to them, that's $10 they didn't have before. So if you're really paranoid, put them in a bank safe deposit box and take scans of them, so you can at least look at them when you want.  myslabbedcomics.com is great.  

I agree.  Thieves will see comics sitting inside fancy schmancy looking CGC cases and just assume their worth stealing, whether we're talking about AF15 in NM or an Alpha Flight 90 in VF condition.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I got three deliveries from Amazon today. One guy dropped off a box of dog biscuits, another dropped off lightbulbs and the third just delivered  a replacement for a shoddy exercise strap.  All could easily have fit in one box.

I'd be careful about what you put in your box. 2c

3 hours ago, FSF said:

I agree.  Thieves will see comics sitting inside fancy schmancy looking CGC cases and just assume their worth stealing, whether we're talking about AF15 in NM or an Alpha Flight 90 in VF condition.

In my comic room, I have my boxes labeled like this. 

The really good stuff reads- 3 for a dollar bulk, and the common stuff all says- Premium or Super Premium books.  Hopefully, a thief will be doing a smash and dash and grab my New Avengers stuff and leave the GA stuff untouched.

On 2/1/2013 at 10:53 AM, Brian48 said:

I keep like 5 of these in my safe at specific areas. Cheap, reliable, and very convenient to recharge once the silica has been saturated.

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Renewable-E-333-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

NOTE: 5 is overkill, but I like the peace of mind.

Just ordered one of these. Sounds like there is no possible way this thing will leak, is that correct?

3 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Just ordered one of these. Sounds like there is no possible way this thing will leak, is that correct?

If you drop it and crack the casing, the silica pellets can spill out.  Not a big deal.  Just sweep it up.  The silica will never get to the point where it's actually "wet".  Once passed it's saturation threshold, it'll change color simply stop absorbing moisture.  I like these units because I can just plug them into the wall to recharge.  No need to stick the silica into the oven overnight like other solutions. 

Talk about reviving an old thread!  Good topic though.  I need some of those silica things.

Nobody talked about hiding stuff in this thread.  That's another solution.  False walls, floors and whatnot.

It amazes me how many folks will display their books when they can just display a color scan of it and it's virtually impossible to tell unless you get up to it with a magnifier.

I personally think bank safe deposit box will be bad for anything but a set of receipts or invoices and a copy of your insurance policy. I think it is not a safe environment for the best level of preservation.

I have heard of people having success with a fire safe bolted to the floor and silica packets but they sort of rotated the comics out and air them out every couple of months. In that case the books were early golden age and they had no deterioration problems.

Myself,  I choose to just find a good hiding spot and change it every so often.  I mean the safe place needs to be safe not just from prying eyes but a good environment for comics too.I imagine my neighbors know I have a decent collection and would think nothing of passing that information along to an interested party. I guess that is not a very nice thing to say and it is a little paranoid but I doubt any thief has respect for my funny books;  So I would sooner be not a nice guy with a collection than a nice guy with no collection. 

21 hours ago, Jack Linguini said:

Hi there,

This is my first post on the boards, so please go easy on me if I ask a question that has already been covered.

@eccomic : what are the acrylic holders you are using on the Weird Tales on the top shelf of your weird tales cabinet ?

Bests

JL

Ha. I "read" the photos wrong.
For some reason the top books in that photo looked like they were in some kind of highly polished acrylic cases
that opened and closed like a book. Looking again I see that they are toploaders. They just look extra shiny in that light.
So on that note does anyone have any sources for something higher quality acrylic than the usual toploaders ?

5 hours ago, Jack Linguini said:

Ha. I "read" the photos wrong.
For some reason the top books in that photo looked like they were in some kind of highly polished acrylic cases
that opened and closed like a book. Looking again I see that they are toploaders. They just look extra shiny in that light.
So on that note does anyone have any sources for something higher quality acrylic than the usual toploaders ?

Just ran across these in a different post on the boards:

http://www.millcase.com/