• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I returned this book, then got swamped at work...

18 posts in this topic

The seller has not yet issued a refund (which he emailed that he would) nor answered my emails (he'd been a bit slow in that when I initially reported problems with the book), and the eBay 45-day period for problem reporting has expired.

So, am I SOL?

I understand that I should have been keeping better track of this (and about a million other things that aren't getting done around the house and car, apparently :blahblah:).

I have not left feedback yet (again, related to letting this slip off my radar).

Would a chargeback be bad form (I haven't done one of those before)?

I'm thinking that start-ups and real life don't mix all that well... :insane:

So if a buyer says...."The books arrived today, and they are damaged. The mailman jammed them in my mailbox. Most of the books a significant top left corner bends. In short, the books are far from near mint (NM). Given that I paid top dollar for the books, I would like to return them for a refund. I can send you photos of the damage if you like."

What would you do?

No... I didn't open a dispute.

In the past (and I have had a number of problem books), I've been able to work it out with the seller without eBay's dispute process.

I did send a picture of the grading discrepancy and got an email telling me that he would issue a refund once he got the books back.

The last couple of weeks have been a blur (I still have unopened birthday cards from almost 2 weeks ago), so this just fell off the list...

So if a buyer says...."The books arrived today, and they are damaged. The mailman jammed them in my mailbox. Most of the books a significant top left corner bends. In short, the books are far from near mint (NM). Given that I paid top dollar for the books, I would like to return them for a refund. I can send you photos of the damage if you like."

What would you do?

As the seller, I would take responsibility for not shipping NM books in a box or not insuring the books. As comic book recipients, we should have learned our lessons about USPS damage potential. meh

Why would a chargeback be bad form if he has not returned your emails and you returned the book?

Well... I did say I'd never done it before.

So, I don't know the current feelings about it.

I'm old enough to remember when sniping was considered bad form by more than a few.

Why would a chargeback be bad form if he has not returned your emails and you returned the book?

I'm old enough to remember when sniping was considered bad form by more than a few.

The reason why chargebacks are looked at with distaste is that scammers abuse them to get high value items for free.

Obviously that is not the case here.

Your situation is exactly why chargebacks are available to consumers and if you recently sent him another email without 24 hour response, I would file it immediately.

Did you return the book with tracking?

Tracking would be required if he was going through the ebay dispute process, but if he is a member in good standing with his CC company, it will likely sail through as long as it wasn't outrageously expensive. If he did return with tracking, it would be wise to have the number handy when calling in the chargeback.

Oh and outrageously expensive is all relative.

What might be questionable for someone who charges $500 a month and has only had the card a year would likely be a "Are you sure there is nothing else we could do for you today Mr. Fan" who charges $10K a month on the card he has had through his credit union for 20 years.

What would you do?

As the seller, I would take responsibility for not shipping NM books in a box or not insuring the books. As comic book recipients, we should have learned our lessons about USPS damage potential. meh

Agree completely

I've been on Ebay since 1998, and sniping has never been considered bad form - by people who weren't whiny blitches/sore losers :/ so don't feel bad if you need to do a chargeback.

I've been on Ebay since 1998, and sniping has never been considered bad form - by people who weren't whiny blitches/sore losers :/ so don't feel bad if you need to do a chargeback.

That's about when I started, too.

... And I guess I did hear it mostly from people that lost on stuff I was bidding on.

Ah, the good old days when anyone could email to any other user. :eyeroll:

As a postscript, the seller did cough up the return after another email request so I can remain a chargeback virgin.