• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about modern comic staples

3 posts in this topic

I have a question about an issue I'm noticing on newer comics usually books from 2004-2008 with glossy covers. Right around the back staple there is a pin sized discolored dot. I'm using all acid free bags and boards and it seems to occur on books with dark back covers. Does anyone know what this is and what is causing it? It seems to only be on the back covers. Any help would be appreciated!!

Hey Nick, I hadn't noticed that until you brought it up. Perhaps it's ink transfer frm the comic under it?? Imagine a stack of comics rolling off the printing press, and perhaps the pressure of that staple is causing some of the ink from the black cover underneath it to transfer onto the back cover.

If my half-baked theory holds, I seriously doubt that's a ding unless CGC uses that as part of their mysterious, here-to-fore unpublished 9.9 and 10.0 criteria!

Thanks for the response, yeah its just really weird. Its mostly on DC books from that era. Some have it and some don't. I thought it was the backer boards I was using but they are acid free as well as the bags. It does make sense what your saying. Ive been collecting comics for years and just now starting noticing it. There is no trace of it on inside back cover only on the back cover.