• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOTOR CITY COMIC CON, May 17-19, Novi, MI.

39 posts in this topic

Hey -

If you're a Marvel collector heading to Motor City, you should check out the Cared4Comics booth. We're going to finally start selling our personal, nearly complete (so, yeah, no Amazing Fantasy 15), high grade, Marvel Silver Universe collection. This is a collection about thirty-five years in the making.

Currently planning on bringing key series and key runs (even up through some bronze age)

If you want it, we almost certainly have it.

If you want something in particular, let me know, because we can only bring so much.

(Waves hand vigorously)

Oh yeah, I'm there all weekend. All you folks with backroom boxes of old Charlton, or Harvey, or Archie, or Dell/Gold Key, or Standard, or what-have you that won't sell, drag 'em along to Motor City. I'll buy them ALL... if they're cheap enough, lol

Just a reminder, my buddy Steve will be there Thursday during setup, and I'm angling to get there Thursday, too. We're generally right across the aisle from the Motor City booth, bring along your unwanted backstock we'll buy it all, from Westerns to Wacky Duck.

Look for the two greybearded old coots, lol

Rick

Can't believe how packed it was yesterday. Seemed like a much bigger turnout than last year. Got to meet Sharkey from the board and Ted from Superworld comics and one of my favorite childhood stars below. I would have liked some more time to look around, but bringing a wife that's 5 months pregnant with twins isn't a great idea. But she was a trooper and didn't complain the whole time.

loupic_zpsd670ee44.jpg

Can't believe how packed it was yesterday. Seemed like a much bigger turnout than last year. Got to meet Sharkey from the board and Ted from Superworld comics and one of my favorite childhood stars below. I would have liked some more time to look around, but bringing a wife that's 5 months pregnant with twins isn't a great idea. But she was a trooper and didn't complain the whole time.

loupic_zpsd670ee44.jpg

Great pic!

Saying the show was packed is a big understatement. Some people waited as long as four hours to get in. I waited in traffic for pretty close to two hours myself. If I wasn't helping Ted out, I would have just went home.

Thw show has probably outgrown the existing venue. Even Friday saw lines out the door. I've never seen it like that on a Friday. Saturday wrapped halfway around the building. Parking had to be sent to a dirt lot next to the hall's. There really aren't any other good places to park and walk from.

Cgcworld and I were talking about how easy it used to be to leave for lunch and come back. I don't think you could do that now without waiting at least an hour to get back into the parking lot.

I didn't go Sunday. Anyone see it differently?

I'm hoping all of the traffic meant the dealers did very well. Ted sold a couple sweet books and purchased some too! Two beautiful silver keys should be up on his site soon! (or, at least in Philly)

Unfortunately, no good hangs after the show this time. :(

i go every year and didn't this time. The media guest list seemed weak and besides Bisley, not much of a creator guest list.

I couldn't take any pictures because it was so Jammed pack, It did break the attendance record for all MCCC. The line was all the way out to the parking lot onto the road that did cause traffic jams, even caused the exit on I-96 to be backed up,

The parking lot was maxxed out, it was the first time this happened. I was hoping someone took pictures

I heard the other cons that were on the same weekend did very well to & they have reports.

This is mine, sorry no pictures.

Friday was pretty decent, not too busy but all the dealers I talked to seemed to be pleased with the amount of money changing hands. Saturday was just insane. I woke up about 6:00 AM local time and headed down to the convention center a little after 8:00. I stopped at Wal-Mart first to grab a couple of things real quick and when I got to the checkout Ted from Superworld was in line already getting some snacks for the day. lol I got to the convention center right around 8:30 thinking I'd be one of the first ones there only to find a line that already wrapped around the corner of the building. :o I waited... and waited... then waited some more. :taptaptap: Finally about 11:30 I was able to get onto the convention floor, I made a B line for the Desert Wind booth hoping there was at least one signing ticket for Stan still available (there was) since a big part of me making the nearly three hour drive to the Detroit area was to get a book signed and subbed for Chespirito. I got one and was able to get the book done for him. Sharon and Tonya from DWC were great, I met Sharon once before a couple years back and we've conversed via email quite a bit, this is the first time I met Tonya. I gotta say, she's really nice, pleasant and about as helpful as can be.

By this time it was about 12:30 so I grabbed a snack and wandered the floor for a while. I picked up one or two random things and a Pence copy of Journey Into Mystery #109 from Dale Roberts. Talked to a few dealers and the consensus seemed to be that the money was flowing but not quite as quickly as the previous day. A lot of people were tied up in lines though so that may have been a factor. The line for Norman Redus was almost as long as the line for Stan and several of the other celebs had decent lines going too. I decided to call it a day and head home about 2:00 PM. Smooth sailing the whole way back.