• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conversation with a dealer...

102 posts in this topic

tth- Yes, I would call 30-40% a significant percentage. While I agree there are plenty of my colleagues with your described poor beside manner/communication skills and there are poor clinicians, I suspect that only a fraction of those have all of these less than redeeming qualities wrapped up in one package (so to speak). I know plenty of physicians that lack bedside manner and are amongst the best clinicians/diagnosticians. On the flip side, I know some physicians who are unanimously loved by their patients (with terrific bedside manners), that have clinical skills that rise to the level of linoleum flooring.

As far as the hours worked by residents, I feel this is greatly improving. I know in some teaching hospitals now, residents have to clock in and out to keep track of hours and ensure compliance with governmental regulations. This is a far cry from when I was in residency just several years ago.

DAM- To clarify, yes, completing med school, of course, gets your MD. Most med students complete the first 2 of 3 steps to the US Medical Licensure process while in med school (some only require passing step 1 to graduate, but this is not the norm). Step 3 can only be taken after completing the first year of residency, generally referred to as the intern year. After completion of Step 3, you're a licensed physician. You get to apply for your personal DEA license (as opposed to working under the umbrella license of the residency program). If you wanted, you could walk out of your residency program, put a shingle on your garage, and open up 'Dr. X's Clinic'. Problem is, despite completing the 3 steps of the boards, you cannot be eligible for board certification in any field/specialty of medicine without completing a residency in an accredited program. This basically explains why residents can moonlight. They are at least in their second year of residency, are licensed physicians (completed all steps of the boards), and can see patients on their own. However, they are not working under another physician with more experience as they always are in their training program. Likewise, most residency programs have restrictions about their residents abilty to moonlight outside of their training program. Hope this wasn't too long winded and makes some sense.

DAM- To clarify, yes, completing med school, of course, gets your MD. Most med students complete the first 2 of 3 steps to the US Medical Licensure process while in med school (some only require passing step 1 to graduate, but this is not the norm). Step 3 can only be taken after completing the first year of residency, generally referred to as the intern year. After completion of Step 3, you're a licensed physician. You get to apply for your personal DEA license (as opposed to working under the umbrella license of the residency program). If you wanted, you could walk out of your residency program, put a shingle on your garage, and open up 'Dr. X's Clinic'. Problem is, despite completing the 3 steps of the boards, you cannot be eligible for board certification in any field/specialty of medicine without completing a residency in an accredited program. This basically explains why residents can moonlight. They are at least in their second year of residency, are licensed physicians (completed all steps of the boards), and can see patients on their own. However, they are not working under another physician with more experience as they always are in their training program. Likewise, most residency programs have restrictions about their residents abilty to moonlight outside of their training program. Hope this wasn't too long winded and makes some sense.

Very cool! thanks for the info thumbsup2.gif