• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How big is Harlan Ellison's Collection?

8 posts in this topic

I remember seeing a video where they interviewed Harlan Ellison and he mentioned his huge collection of comics that were stored in a climate controlled room. Does anyone know how big his collection is and if it was sold?

Thanks,

John

I bought just shy of 800 books.

Harlan still has more moderns than he knows what to do with, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth for him to sell that stuff. (He has some deal with Marvel where he gets one of everything they publish for life).

And he still has the bulk of his GA books that he won't part with for sentimental reasons. The stuff I've seen are mainly Fawcett books and some DC.

His secret vault is big, but most of the shelves hold 1st edition hardbacks signed/personalized by every author you could imagine.

PM me and I can give you more info.

I do recall back in the 90s on the Sci-Fi channel's SCI-FI BUZZ - Harlan did show off his secret comic book room - he is a big fan of CAPTIAN MIDNIGHT comics and collectibles.

I've heard stories how Harlan has approached various dealers over the years in attempts to exchange signed copies of his books for GA comics - any Harland sories out there?

I am also curious about his Marvel deal - can anyone provide more detials on that?

I do recall back in the 90s on the Sci-Fi channel's SCI-FI BUZZ - Harlan did show off his secret comic book room - he is a big fan of CAPTIAN MIDNIGHT comics and collectibles.

I've heard stories how Harlan has approached various dealers over the years in attempts to exchange signed copies of his books for GA comics - any Harlan stories out there?

I am also curious about his Marvel deal - can anyone provide more details on that?

It was Hulk 286.

I remember reading that story as a sophomore in high school and thinking, "Wow, this is pretty cool and different for a stand-alone story."

Here's a bit of info on the happenstances of that book.

The article doesn't mention the settlement, but the story I was told is that there was no money involved, just comics--one of every title published from 286 on. Harlan can exaggerate a "tiny" bit hm so you never know, but I've been at his place and seen tons of Marvel moderns come and go. (He doesn't want anyone to know this but these days the moderns get picked up once a month and donated to a nearby children's hospital).

I've heard stories how Harlan has approached various dealers over the years in attempts to exchange signed copies of his books for GA comics - any Harlan stories out there?

I am also curious about his Marvel deal - can anyone provide more details on that?

It was Hulk 286.

I remember reading that story as a sophomore in high school and thinking, "Wow, this is pretty cool and different for a stand-alone story."

Here's a bit of info on the happenstances of that book.

The article doesn't mention the settlement, but the story I was told is that there was no money involved, just comics--one of every title published from 286 on. Harlan can exaggerate a "tiny" bit hm so you never know, but I've been at his place and seen tons of Marvel moderns come and go. (He doesn't want anyone to know this but these days the moderns get picked up once a month and donated to a nearby children's hospital).

I would think that it would be more beneficail for the moderns to be given to the poor and used as fuel to heat homes!