• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Watchers

39 posts in this topic

I get that all the time, 7-10 watchers and the bids don't rise at the end. Sometimes people are comparing, sometimes they just forget...

eBay does send reminders to watchers, so there is always a chance, and it's better than NO watchers and no bids, lol. at least you know you were not totally alone;)

I watch anything and everything that I am interested in so I don't lose track. Then I place bids on stuff I really want after that as I cannot have it all.

I've had the feeling I'm being watched for years now. Just no proof yet. :o
Just look out your damn window - I'll bet you'll see Tupenny standing there.

An auction I had just ended with no bids. That's no big deal, but the item had 11 watchers! I can't stand when people watch an auction they apparently had no intention of bidding on. I could understand if it was a high-dollar item and someone wants to see how much it sells for, but it this item only $89.

Sorry for the rant, but it bugs me so much.

When I watch an auction, it is usually because it is overpriced, and I'm waiting for the price to come down on a relist. Seriously.

Well, I like to watch..... and as far as your auction goes, it was me. Seriously, I often 'watch' one of my search results (I have about 40 of them going each day) but do not buy because it is too high, or I buy something else that I want more, trying to spend only so much each month on Ebay. I have never sold on Ebay, just bought, so I guess I didn't really know the seller could see that he had watchers, but I guess it just makes sense.

And there's the varlet! Pitchforks! Torches! Run 'im down!

Haha I know not all of the watchers were going to be sure-fire bidders, but I didn't think all of them would watch without bidding. Whenever I watch items, I usually keep watching until I know I'm unlikely to bid. Then I unwatch it. I guess most people don't do that.

If you see your getting a lot of watchers,then bring it down $5 or $10 dollars. Ebay is about getting good deals for the flip. A lot of comic book Ebayers will be surprised at how many of their auctions would sell if there is just a slight price adjustment. I learned this strategy from selling non-comic book inventory since 1997. Sometimes it`s not all about the win to get the best of your opponent,but that both the seller and buyer can walk away feeling they both did alright. I see countless Ebay comic book auctions get no bids because the comic book dealers do not budge, and will sit for years on their common comic book inventory hoping to catch a noob for the elusive impulsive buy. ;)

I sometimes watch an auction for a book similar to one I'm selling / going to sell just to see what it ends up at. It's possible some of your watchers were doing that (shrug)

lol Yea your are what the OP is referring to.

Everything I have a hot eBay CGC up for auction I assume about 20-30% of the watchers are only doing so the reason you have stated above.

An auction I had just ended with no bids. That's no big deal, but the item had 11 watchers! I can't stand when people watch an auction they apparently had no intention of bidding on. I could understand if it was a high-dollar item and someone wants to see how much it sells for, but it this item only $89.

Sorry for the rant, but it bugs me so much.

When I watch an auction, it is usually because it is overpriced, and I'm waiting for the price to come down on a relist. Seriously.

lol...I have a book up with 15 watchers...it started at 99 cents, so it's not the price. I bet I get 2 bids at the end;) or maybe I'll get lucky and have 3;)

It's just a thing...

I sometimes watch an auction for a book similar to one I'm selling / going to sell just to see what it ends up at. It's possible some of your watchers were doing that (shrug)

Everything I have a hot eBay CGC up for auction I assume about 20-30% of the watchers are only doing so the reason you have stated above.

I've watched your auctions on occasion :baiting:

I've watched your auctions on occasion :baiting:

Whats my eBay seller's name. :shy:

Well, I like to watch..... and as far as your auction goes, it was me. Seriously, I often 'watch' one of my search results (I have about 40 of them going each day) but do not buy because it is too high, or I buy something else that I want more, trying to spend only so much each month on Ebay. I have never sold on Ebay, just bought, so I guess I didn't really know the seller could see that he had watchers, but I guess it just makes sense.

And there's the varlet! Pitchforks! Torches! Run 'im down!

Haha I know not all of the watchers were going to be sure-fire bidders, but I didn't think all of them would watch without bidding. Whenever I watch items, I usually keep watching until I know I'm unlikely to bid. Then I unwatch it. I guess most people don't do that.

If you see your getting a lot of watchers,then bring it down $5 or $10 dollars. Ebay is about getting good deals for the flip. A lot of comic book Ebayers will be surprised at how many of their auctions would sell if there is just a slight price adjustment. I learned this strategy from selling non-comic book inventory since 1997. Sometimes it`s not all about the win to get the best of your opponent,but that both the seller and buyer can walk away feeling they both did alright. I see countless Ebay comic book auctions get no bids because the comic book dealers do not budge, and will sit for years on their common comic book inventory hoping to catch a noob for the elusive impulsive buy. ;)

That.

Oh but I would add - I always list at min accepted offer +10%.

Gives you wiggle room in negotiations.

Free shipping is another.

The amount of buyers who will buy $500 of books to save $22.17c is amazing.

I watch a ton of books, I'll see what they are actually going for. Plus lately the re-listing has made me happy a few times because they normally add the "buy now" with the auction. If the price is fair I'll just buy it than & there.

Btw for the sellers I would rather pay more on shipping than have a poorly protected book show up at the house.

If I'm interested in a book, sometimes I'll put in a bid (at the lowest price), or sometimes I watch. The problem with putting in a bid, that sometimes prompts other people to bid and the final price ends up being higher. So I've started to just watch and then bid at the end. If the price gets too high at the end, then I probably won't bid. At that point I'll usually delete the watch to clean up my ebay summary. Given that no one bid, I'd say that some people just forgot about it, and others reconsidered thinking it too high.