• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Nasty Side of Collecting

4 posts in this topic

Or Clean it up Buttetcup

Supply and Demand, cost exceeding worth, or craving the necessary drug without reciprocal means, whatever you want to call it. This hobby that we are in can be as cheap as finding blow out boxes at conventions. Normally the contents of these boxes are a dollar a piece but if you pull enough from their confined space to take up with you a two for a dollar sale might magically appear. Older books, key issues, number ones pre-90 (of which I hate to admit) and graded comic books allow a substantial increase in allocated funds to our budgets.

The cheapest graded comic book I have ever purchased was only just recently. It cost me $9.50 and my most expensive was a very limited signature series 9.8 edition that ran me $625? This only happened last year. I started vowing never to pay higher than forty five dollars a book. This limitation was squashed as books I wanted were rare or one of a kind in a 9.8 status. The Bronze Age books I want and the older Silver Age books increase the cost exponentially.

I have not purchased a book for more than I was willing to pay. I have placed "why not?" bids not thinking I would win and won. And I even placed a bid on books I had no right bidding on, in other words starting a new set. BUT I never used money I needed for necessities.

I struggle from time to time. I post all my purchases, bills, rent, and other amenities in a ledger. I've wanted to stop collecting a few times to only buying what appealed to me. This year I hope my struggles of the past have taught me a lesson. I wonder though will I spend less this year or more.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

http://tnerb-myfirstblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/serving-co-worker.html

See more journals by Tnerb

Tnerb..with all this talk of being more selective (without still having my raw books graded) I am doing spring cleaning and put together nearly 24 books I either sent in or bought randomly. Some sets I have, I have no interest in filling so I think it wise to sell them off and save some room for the books I really want.

Also, I have numerous doubles and was considering opening one up to take and get a signature on to then sell the universal (perhaps).

I have been getting more and more excited about meeting creators and going through the CGC SS process as I find it quite rewarding.

Until next time......

Tnerb..with all this talk of being more selective (without still having my raw books graded) I am doing spring cleaning and put together nearly 24 books I either sent in or bought randomly. Some sets I have, I have no interest in filling so I think it wise to sell them off and save some room for the books I really want.

Also, I have numerous doubles and was considering opening one up to take and get a signature on to then sell the universal (perhaps).

I have been getting more and more excited about meeting creators and going through the CGC SS process as I find it quite rewarding.

Until next time......

I agree, I have bought doubles on books so I can get the better of the two signed and if the book drops still have my 9.8 status. Of course you already know my scary one, you'll see it at ECCC

Until next time......

I agree, I have bought doubles on books so I can get the better of the two signed and if the book drops still have my 9.8 status. Of course you already know my scary one, you'll see it at ECCC

OK, but don't say I didn't warn you.