• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller Guarantee on books vs. CGC grade - Comments please

42 posts in this topic

Hi Homer,

You know what? From the cynical point of view, you have what looks like a very good observation!

It's sort of funny how things can be perceived. My goal is a uniform return policy - one that applies to expensive books that are not CGC'd as well as cheap ones. And since I have lately only been offering cheap books on eBay, the cynic would observe just what you pointed out.

Those who know me (admittedly not so many of this forum -- does that speak to the forum or the rapid entry and exit from our hobby of buyers?? My last BIG auction (well over 1,000 lots with many that went for way more than enough for many to justify CGC) was in Mid-2000. I am trying to get some stuff caught up so I can concentrate on my next big auction that will be in Spring of 2003 if I can get myself caught up and will have plenty of comics that I personally would not CGC but that are certainly worth enough to justify the $25 to $45 charge (before any discount).

Anyway, you have a point that many would say "Yeah, you tell 'em!"

To avoid all the confusion I will, like I said, be going back to my straight 7 day return (including shipping costs both ways).

Excelsior,

Bruce

On 9/17/2002 at 9:37 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

Honestly?

If they are lucky enough to get their book back from CGC within 6 months and the grading isn't close to what you guaranteed, you really should reimburse them for the grading fee to reimburse them for the time, money and effort they put into getting the book graded. Plus, you end up with a slabbed book to resell.

I would recommend not using such a guarantee at all. Instead I would either:

(a) Stand beside your grading on it's own. If you think that the book is a 9.4 and the buyer does not agree with your grading (he thinks it's only an 8.5) then accept the return NOW instead of making them go through the time, money and effort of getting the book slabbed.

(b) Submit your book to CGC first and then sell the slabbed book.

Kev

THIS