• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My adventures in submitting my project to a comic publisher

92 posts in this topic

Update....

The ten pages are finished, still tweaking the lettering a bit.

Next is the synopsis, been working on this for over a month. It is quite a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. Explain te ins and outs of a four issue series in a page.

Then once that is done, off it goes. Hopefully by the en of the month.

In between this I am finishing up my third book and editing a friend of mine's non-diction book, and I forgot two other scripts. Plus still have the day job to deal with too.

Jay

Update....

The ten pages are finished, still tweaking the lettering a bit.

Next is the synopsis, been working on this for over a month. It is quite a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. Explain te ins and outs of a four issue series in a page.

Then once that is done, off it goes. Hopefully by the en of the month.

In between this I am finishing up my third book and editing a friend of mine's non-diction book, and I forgot two other scripts. Plus still have the day job to deal with too.

Jay

what about the wife and kids ? :baiting::grin:

The wife? I do everything after she's in bed or while she is at derby practice.

My average night is spent with my laptop in front of me, my tv on adult swim and me working until 3 in the morning sun through wednesday and Friday night.

Our kids are of the 4 leg kind, they get attention constantly.

What a great thread! The highs and lows of self publishing and pitching. I've seen many projects fall apart because of people with great intentions and aspirations that they never run with. I'm not sure why, but it seems like artists/inkers are the most often difficult bunch in terms of follow through and this whole story is a great example of that.

BTW, I lost sleep last night staying up and reading this all. Best of luck on the project! (thumbs u

And over a year and a half later...

It was passed over. It's ok, I stopped writing a bit back anyway.

I went back to my first love, music.

After 4+ years of writing, the ups and downs, I had felt it ran it's course and it was just not fun any longer.

I do have ideas pop up from time to time and maybe in between my regular work and and the band I may write some stuff up, but for the most part, it's just not want to do anymore.

It was disappointing to have it passed over, but I'm not torn up about it.

I do have the the 3 issues scripted and ready for artwork, maybe someday they will see the light of day.

It's easier to become a movie actor than a comic book creator. Really many of the people already working in the industry have to fight for work. Of course the superstars are always in demand. Sadly, my advice for people who ask how to break into comics is 'you don't'.

If I would get back into writing, it would be prose only.

It costs less.

Writers get screwed in comics when one starts out. Writers don't get compensated until the title is picked up and the revenue from sales.

Artists, the majority require payment up front. Regardless if the title is picked up.

So writers get zero up front, have to pay out a large amount to start, hoping the title is picked up to recoup the cost to the artist.

With RED BAND! I may have made my money back after issue 2 and make a small profit on issue 3 (which would be the last issue of the series).

So comics, not for me, plus I had much more success with novels/novelttes. And I just have to deal with editors, who should want you to be successful since it is their job after all.

I do have ideas pop up from time to time and maybe in between my regular work and and the band I may write some stuff up, but for the most part, it's just not want to do anymore.

It's a friggin' curse, Jay. Everytime I open a paper, something in my head clicks and I wind up buying 5 copies of that paper (just in case it becomes huge). Keep plugging away anyway with whatever makes you happy though. Life's too short.

My work is not...mainstream. I am what you call a "bizzaro" writer. I take the absurd and add bad taste to it and then it becomes the 55th best selling book on amazon for three months back in 2011.

People for whatever reason, love jokes.

This story also has two boardies in it as well, Boozad & Gaz2810i.