• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My adventures in submitting my project to a comic publisher

92 posts in this topic

I appreciate seeing this. I have my own project I am hoping gets picked up by a publisher and I am grateful to see and hear about your experience.

Thank you.

I thought having a regular contributor for Heavy Metal would do it...but he couldn't even get it published.

Sometimes, the story is just too weird for traditional publishers. And for me to do it myself, it would have been between $3k-6k out of pocket for each issue,

NOPE.

I've never seen a single creator on digital webbing or linked in get picked up. Not one. And I viewed hundreds of projects and creator posts. It just doesn't happen. There's about a billion webcomics-none get 'picked up'. Much better chance of winning the lottery-by far.

I appreciate seeing this. I have my own project I am hoping gets picked up by a publisher and I am grateful to see and hear about your experience.

Thank you.

Yep, your splash was in this...

dmppreview_zps50d79cc9.jpg

Yes!

I had done 2 pieces for that, one got put in as a splash page and my second piece was for a story written and I guess another artist that was lined up was unable to complete so I was asked to do a piece and this was my pencils:

Tarmac.jpg

Here are the pencils/ partial inks of the splash:

zombiesketch.jpg

I've never seen a single creator on digital webbing or linked in get picked up. Not one. And I viewed hundreds of projects and creator posts. It just doesn't happen. There's about a billion webcomics-none get 'picked up'. Much better chance of winning the lottery-by far.

Always preferred printed pages. Digital toe is kind of half assed.

I sold A LOT more printed books and comics than digital sales. A LOT more.

Thank you.

Yep, your splash was in this...

dmppreview_zps50d79cc9.jpg

Yes!

I had done 2 pieces for that, one got put in as a splash page and my second piece was for a story written and I guess another artist that was lined up was unable to complete so I was asked to do a piece and this was my pencils:

Tarmac.jpg

Here are the pencils/ partial inks of the splash:

zombiesketch.jpg

Midnight snack is still badass.

Thank you.

I thought having a regular contributor for Heavy Metal would do it...but he couldn't even get it published.

Sometimes, the story is just too weird for traditional publishers. And for me to do it myself, it would have been between $3k-6k out of pocket for each issue,

NOPE.

I don't think I've ever considered Heavy Metal to be a traditional publisher, and after looking at what you have I'm surprised your friend couldn't get it published. Although, in fairness to Heavy Metal - a few pages isn't enough to get a feel for the story line. Best of luck in the future getting published if you decide to give it another try.

With it being the 5th Anniversary this year of the release of the original book, RED BAND! the proposal will be released in conjunction with the expanded verion of the book.

The e-book version will include the new expanded novel RED BAND! The original version of the novel and the full comic proposal (the first ten pages of issue 1 and the full -script of issue #1).

The first two days of release will be free, $1.99 after.

Print version wil not include the 10 pages of illustrated art but will include the -script and an all new cover. $14.95

First time in Hardcover, the original Novel that charted at #55 on Amazon. $30.00

And finally, the full comic proposal in print ($2.99) and ebook ($.99)

This will release in August and if you want to check it out, at least you cam get it for free.

One last note, all will feature covers that were designed by TJ Powell (Lebowski), the comic cover is one of the last commercial projects we worked on together before he died.

Jay