• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Your Consideration . . .

56 posts in this topic

This is fantastic art :applause:

I'm not at all into MtG, but great art is great art. Looking forward to more :popcorn:

Thanks, SS. I've never collected the trading cards myself. An American collector friend, Lloyd Braddy, got me interested in Kev's work some years ago. I've been on the look out for some nice MTG examples ever since.

The cards themselves are relatively unimportant to me. I just like the art, which is both imaginative and superbly executed. With great fantasy art, you have your own interpretation of the image you see before you, which spurs the imagination and conjures up new worlds of discovery.

Don't need that one.

I can harness the power of my own poisonous winds just fine.

Beautiful work, tho, seriously. Love that plasma elemental!

lol

The paintings are quite small. Plasma Elemental has an image size of approximately 5.5" x 7.5". Kev's attention to detail is really impressive for such a small scale!

These are great! I love the game and Kev's artwork. There is no dearth of great artwork from MTG,( there are definitely some dogs as well). Magic has really upped it's game in the recent years regarding the quality of its artwork. Interestingly they have moved toward literal translations of artwork corresponding with the names of "spells", which makes sense in many ways but kinda clipped the wings of their stable of earlier artists who had more evocative art styles. I have a pretty modest pastel MTG piece I got off ebay some years back for cheap. How much does Kev's work go for ballpark?

Beautiful stuff. The art is what first drew me to MtG. I eventually lost interest in the game as I had few friends willing to invest in their own decks. I did go to a party last year and they happened to be playing. I ran home and dusted off the old cards. I had never seen most of their stuff, and none of them had seen Alpha before. Much confusion ensued but fun was had all around.

Kev's a Yorkshireman (Yorkshire's an English county).

Whitby's a Yorkshire fishing port. It was the seaport where Dracula arrived (in Bram Stoker's famous novel). Perched on top a hillside overlooking the town's harbour are the ruins of an old Abbey.

In some ways, Kev's 'Ghosts of the Innocent' reminds me of that old abbey (I visited Whitby earlier in the year) and I wonder if Kev had it in mind as a possible souce of inspiration?

WhitbyAbbey.jpg

I love the creepiness of Ghosts of the Innocent :fear:

When I was around 10 or 11 I spent all my library time looking up books with the creepiest ghost "photographs".

I pretty much knew they were doctored, but if they still stirred a response within me then I got what I was after.

This piece has that kind of feel :applause:

magic5a.jpg

Stasis Cocoon

All 8 paintings that I recently acquired are now uploaded for your consideration, along with a couple of examples of how these artworks looked on the trading cards they fronted. Each of these paintings feature in a CAF Gallery with additional images of all the trading card counterparts (and a full-bleed image of one of the artworks). Anyone wishing to explore the additional images should check-out my Kev Walker Gallery at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=140935

Thanks for your time and interest!

On a different note, I've just received two Fortunino Matania illustrations this morning.

First up . . .

A signed original watercolour en grisaille, produced in 1902 for the magazine Graphic. It depicts, in Matania's usual realistic and detailed style, a group of soldiers enjoying themselves in the coffee shop, although it appears more like a bar.

matania2.jpg

The Men's Coffee Bar, Wellington Barracks, 1902

Probably part of a feature on 'Our Troops, at Home and Abroad'. A wonderful and rare early example of this very popular artist's work.

The Foot Guards Battalions on public duties in London are located in barracks conveniently close to Buckingham Palace for them to be able to reach the Palace very quickly in an emergency. In central London, a battalion is based at Wellington Barracks, Westminster, about 300 yards from Buckingham Palace between Birdcage Walk and Petty France

As a (hopefully) interesting aside, I served in a Guards Regiment, the 1st Battalion Irish Guards, during the 1970s, so this illustration has a personal connection for me!

Check out my CAF for the 2nd Matania original:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=122737