• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Like to get feedback, on whether to open, my original 10 pack of Spawn #1 1992

16 posts in this topic

Spawn #1's! I bought these back in 92 and have never opened any of them,all are still sealed as I recieved them! I have had them stored safely in there original form as i recieved them,in 1992, smoke free clean enviroment! I have seen graded #1 Spawn's on ebay 9.8's sell for over $100.00 each, and some 9.9's over $300 each! Would like to get the pros opinions here if I open these do I stand much chance at a 9.8 or better and if not? why since they have never been touched? thanks for the help in advance!

spawn1_zpsa0b82895.jpeg

topspawn_zps605ec22b.jpeg

The books all come in large boxes when new, no bags. The dealers take them from the boxes and bag them, in some cases in groups like that. I also had several bagged groups of new books from the early 90's. I had some Spawn, but lots of Batman and Superman, and Valiant comics. Live and learn.

How nice your books are depends on how they came out of the boxes, and how they were handled since then.

Hey Delta.

There is no guarantee anythign will hit a 9.8 regardless of the fact that you never opened them. There is an underlying assumption that if nobody ever touched them they are a 9.8. That's not true. The books go through many people and places to end up on the shelf at the comic shop.

GPA is for GPAnalysis.com which is a site to see what people are actually paying for graded comic books in the marketplace. It's much more accurate pricing index than Overstreet or any price guide online.

There is also an underlying assumption by some board people that most copper age and modern age books ar worthless, regardess of their grade Don't let that deter you! Collect and get graded what you like. CGC needs people who grade modern stuff. Cause the silver and gold comics will eventually run out. :-O

^^^^What Lost said^^^

Don't assume that since you never touched the books they are Mint. Mint in comic terms is a 9.9-good luck pulling one of those out of that bag. If you do, more power to you. Books must be graded on severity and accumulation of defects, or lack thereof. Pull those books out of the bag and scan the best copies-back and front. Then post here and we'll try and help your decision to send them off for grading. :preach:

Image sold ten pack of its books to the general public? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Even if they did, the books were printed in one plant, then shipped to the Image offices where they were unboxed, counted and repacked into ten pcaks, then shipped to you. Tha'ts if Image did that, which I'm unaware of them doing.

More than likely, some wholesaler like Kingpin was offering ten packs which means they still went through multiple hands before getting to you. You might have a 9.8 in there, but you might not. 9.6s are not worth the cost of slabbibg so its a risky propostion.