• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Awesome Stories From Cons!

38 posts in this topic

AT Chicago last year I got a VIP badge and nearly sprinted to Barry Kitson's booth - I got there third in line and waited for a sketch for almost 6 hours or something crazy I think - he was late arriving, and then when he did, he would do a sketch for someone, then take a break to chat with fans, sign some books, and do a few quick head sketches for people.

When I finally get up to him, I ask for Superman, ripping through a bunch of chains - he looks at me super dead-pan and just sighs - "how about ripping through a big rope or something....." I sat there for 45 minutes watching him sketch and the whole time he's just asking me if I want the Jurgens Superman mullet and complaining about drawing every single link on the chains. About halfway through, he holds the book up to me and says - there, each link from here on out is $1 - haha. To wrap it all up, I had a CGC witness there and he gave me a super hard time about having it encapsulated cause then I can't read it. I told him I owned no less than 15 copies of this book and had read it cover to cover several times and would never encapsulate them all. He seemed to be satisfied by that, but continued to poke at me a bit for being the guy asking for chains and getting it graded - it was funny, uncomfortable, and fantastic all at the same time. I thanked him profusely, the sketch turned out great, and I was super excited to have gotten to meet him (even though I earned a fair bit of his only half joking annoyance)

photo KitsonSuperman.jpg

My favorite con story was one of the very first cons I ever went to. I was (am) a huge Michael Turner fan and it was my first time meeting him! I had a stack of books for him to sign. I stood in line, and he was eyeing my stack. He asked me to stick around and he would sign after everyone since I had a lot of books. No problem I said, and he and I chatted a bit, and I was just watching him being friendly with everyone that came up. Finally, I was the last one and as he signed my books, I asked if he could draw me a sketch. He said he couldn't, but he kept looking around, signing my books, and then he said, quick, give me your sketchbook. He sketched Supergirl underneath the table and gave it back to me. To this day, that moment was probably my favorite con moment ever.

Turner1.jpg

That's a very cool story. I wish I had something signed by him

My favorite con story was one of the very first cons I ever went to. I was (am) a huge Michael Turner fan and it was my first time meeting him! I had a stack of books for him to sign. I stood in line, and he was eyeing my stack. He asked me to stick around and he would sign after everyone since I had a lot of books. No problem I said, and he and I chatted a bit, and I was just watching him being friendly with everyone that came up. Finally, I was the last one and as he signed my books, I asked if he could draw me a sketch. He said he couldn't, but he kept looking around, signing my books, and then he said, quick, give me your sketchbook. He sketched Supergirl underneath the table and gave it back to me. To this day, that moment was probably my favorite con moment ever.

Turner1.jpg

That's a very cool story. I wish I had something signed by him

+1

Awesome Stories From Cons!

I got to meet Jon Jespersen.

+1000

JJ is a great person and board member.

One of the first cons that I went to a couple years ago in Cincinnati I had a great experience with my first time doing Sig Series books and getting sketches to sub done at the con. A big thank you to seanfingh for witnessing everything and to GACollectibles for being the facilitator. They made it very easy for me being my first time doing Sig Series stuff and answered all my questions no matter how dumb they were.

Whenever I get a chance to go to cons I always look forward to Sean and Andrew being in attendance.

My favorite creator/artist to work with at cons is by far Mark Kidwell. He is a highly talented artist/writer/creator and is really friendly. Whenever I approach his booth at a show he is giving me a great welcome and asks me how things are going and if I am looking to add more sketches to my wall of '68 / Kidwell stuff. I am looking forward to meeting up with him this con season to get a few more zombie sketches done for my wall.

JJ is a great guy. Several years ago he made some post asking who was going to take him to lunch at ECCC and get to enjoy spending time with him. He had never met me but I sent him a pm and said I would take him to lunch. I was just getting into SS and sketch books and I knew he would have some helpful insights. And he did.

My favorite stories though are the ones where boardies and creators do something really nice for my son. "Uncle" Greggy, Joey, Doc, Holly and Troy, Borock. Each of you have made ECCC and comics fun for him.

Robbie got his first Crain at ECCC this year, a Rai 0 cover swipe with Robbie as Bloodshot on a Bloodshot sketch cover. For free. He got to meet this wonderful woman named Marilyn Adams who got her nice husband to do a free Batman sketch for him. Nei Ruffino did a free sketch for him and I think he may have a crush on her now. Andy Runton did a free sketch for him and Andy's mom gave him some free Owly buttons. I love watching him experience a con through completely unjaded eyes and I love seeing how the creators respond to his joy.

I've got a couple of these. Here's one you might like.

It was around 1990 or '91, I don't remember exactly, and I was at the Chicago ComicCon. This is back when it was still at the Ramada near O'Hare Airport. I had been checking out the dealer room and decided to head over to the artist area to get some books signed that I had brought along, mostly Batman stuff in the 400 and up range. There were a few people I wanted to get signatures from but the big one on the list was Jim Aparo. I tracked down his table easily enough and was a bit shocked to see no one around so I walked up, introduced myself and asked if he would mind signing a few books. He was more than happy to oblige and as he was signing them we were chatting a bit about different projects he had done. Out of nowhere this guy walks up and says "How you doing Jim?" and proceeds to pick up my books that Aparo had already signed and starts signing them too. Before I even looked at him I was thinking to myself "WTF is going on here?". Then I did look over at him. It was Jim Starlin. lol It turns out he was heading to New York and had a layover in Chicago so to kill some time he stopped by to talk to Aparo about a few things they were working on.

Two things from ECCC really stand out for me. On the first day my bud and I got in quick and booked it straight to Brian Posehn's table so he could get a Deadpool commision signed. (I am going to have to remind him to post that story and pics). We got back there and Brian wasn't around yet but the floor was empty so we just looked around for something to do. Well right next to Brian's booth was Tony Moore's. So we stood there and looked through his stuff and chatted with him and Kara for like 15 minutes. They are really great people and it was nice to actually get to talk to them before the rush caught up.

So I picked up a print of the WD 19 cover from Tony (which he signed) and figured it would be cool to have Danai Gurira sign it as well. So later on in the weekend I took that print and waited in line for her for about 2 hours. Just as I got to the front and pulled out my posters for her to sign we got interrupted by none other than Charlie Adlard. He had a few free minutes and came up to say hi to her. So I got to stand there for 10 minutes while they chatted and she begged him to come out drinking after the show and "save" her from Michael Rooker. When they were done they both apologized to me for making me wait, but I told them it was fine but only because it was Charlie. I would have taken a picture but the huge security guy behind them would have broken my phone lol.

Turner1.jpg

Awesome story! Amazing artist that is still very, very missed.

I hope to have some awesome stories like these some day... :sorry:

Have been to WonderCon, Comikaze and the last Wizard World they had here in LA a while ago. Hopefully I can experience something like these stories this year at my first ever SDCC.

My 2nd best story was the first time I ever got a sketch from Jim Lee. He was at a panel for a show, and wasn't going to any other signings. I sat in the panel and was waiting before it started and he came a bit early. I asked if I could get a sketch and he said he couldn't, so I asked if he could sign some stuff. He said sure, so I pulled out a few things, plus a bookmark he had done for his dad's birthday. He asked where I got that, and I said my mom knows your mom!

So then he goes give me your book I don't want to get in trouble. lol.

Voila!

IMG_0775.jpg

I've shared this story on here before, but it seems like a good time and place to share it again:

I walked up to David Lapham's table at the Wizard Chicago con back in 1996, he was sitting there with his wife (Maria), and I just started gushing on and on about Stray Bullets (which was a couple of issues in). It was of course a small independent title, but with great critical praise, but pretty moderate sales at a time when the industry was heading for a slump.

Now no one was at his table, so I walk over, and start blabbering, "I'm from a small town, small comic store, been pushing the book, it's one of my favorite's, blah, blah, blah..."

And just as I'm saying, "Could you do a sketch for me...", I look down and see the sign he's made says: No Sketches.

lol

He sorta hems and haws and then his wife says, "Oh Come on David! He sounds like your biggest fan!"

So as he's doing it, my friend walks over and says, "Hey can I get a sketch too!?"

We're all sushing and saying, "Quiet!", and so he does (as far as I know), just these two sketches, Mine (seen below) and my friend's, who I think sold his on ebay.

I'm keeping mine for life! Even though last year I got a full commission piece from him, this is one that has a more personal meaning to it.

IMG_0013.jpg

My 2nd best story was the first time I ever got a sketch from Jim Lee. He was at a panel for a show, and wasn't going to any other signings. I sat in the panel and was waiting before it started and he came a bit early. I asked if I could get a sketch and he said he couldn't, so I asked if he could sign some stuff. He said sure, so I pulled out a few things, plus a bookmark he had done for his dad's birthday. He asked where I got that, and I said my mom knows your mom!

So then he goes give me your book I don't want to get in trouble. lol.

Voila!

IMG_0775.jpg

That is SO amazing! haha