• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Drug Book - First App Marijuana - Before Spidey No Comic Code + GL/GA Junkie

33 posts in this topic

I want to know the first time someone was smoking a doobie on a cover...whihc book was that and when

I dont think any of the issues from the golden age put something that obvious on the cover. You will probably have to go forward to the undergrounds of the late 60's to get that.

It's not weed on this cover, but it's pretty obvious! And iirc, the guy smokes weed first before going on to the hard stuff:

http://www.comics.org/issue/10946/cover/4/

hm

CAREER GIRL ROMANCES #56 APRIL 1970 CHARLTON - MARIJUANA USE COVER AND STORY

WS32-147.jpg

Issue: 56

Year: 1970

Month: April

Publisher: Charlton

Description: Hippie smoke marijuana at a dance party on this wacky cover and the Comics Code censors did not notice it.

Check the girl with the marijuana pipe at the bottom of page 23.

They missed this, too.

Grade: VG

Distributed many months before Spiderman No Comics Code Seal Drug issues

as well as Green Lantern/Green Arrow Speedy the Junkie issues

Budsbundy approves of this

For the dense, obtuse and abstruse.

:mad:FIXED, DAMMIT!:mad:

Top Drug Book POST-WERTHAM with Comics Code Authority Seal.

First App Marijuana in a Code approved comic book.

Hit the newstands prior to Spidey No Comic Code, (2nd app. drugs)

As well as GL/GA Junkie with Code (3rd app. drugs)

ARE WE CLEAR, NOW? Good. ANY QUESTIONS? I didn't think so. NOW SHUT UP!

First, this is forum for discussions, as you can see I don't post often. I am a girl in a very guy world. I do not yet have a working scanner so my posting has been very sparse. However that being said... Please feel free to discuss but you may want to reconsider your anger and tone as they will not get you very far, especially with the long time collectors.

I think the whole reason that ASM #s 96-98 are so special for many people is because there was NO CODE approval, these (according to several sources) were the first books to feature drug stories without the comic book code since the code was enacted in in 1954. These books also featured the work of Stan Lee, whose very first work was in Captain America #3 from 1941. Most of these guys are way more impressed with your love of collecting, not necessarily that you be exactly right about everything all the time. Take a breath and relax, this section is called "Golden Age" for a reason...

:foryou:

I want to know the first time someone was smoking a doobie on a cover...whihc book was that and when

There are many examples in the undergrounds of the late sixties and early seventies. For instance, here's a hookah:

Freak_Brother_No_1.jpg

Before the undergrounds, there were the pulps:

marijuana-girl.jpg

There are many examples in the undergrounds of the late sixties and early seventies. For instance, here's a hookah:

marijuana-girl.jpg

An uncanny resemblance to an old girlfriend :cloud9:

marijuana-girl.jpg

An uncanny resemblance to an old girlfriend :cloud9:

:devil:

First, this is forum for discussions, as you can see I don't post often. I am a girl in a very guy world. I do not yet have a working scanner so my posting has been very sparse. However that being said... Please feel free to discuss but you may want to reconsider your anger and tone as they will not get you very far, especially with the long time collectors.

It's Luxx. He was insane before you bought your first comic.

I think the whole reason that ASM #s 96-98 are so special for many people is because there was NO CODE approval, these (according to several sources) were the first books to feature drug stories without the comic book code since the code was enacted in in 1954. These books also featured the work of Stan Lee, whose very first work was in Captain America #3 from 1941. Most of these guys are way more impressed with your love of collecting, not necessarily that you be exactly right about everything all the time. Take a breath and relax, this section is called "Golden Age" for a reason...

This is Comics General, not Golden Age. Those grumpy old men would really hate Luxx in their section lol

First Marijuana App? I don't think so but definitely earlier than perviously suggested in this thread. 1949 - pre comics code. Book is never going to be for sale.

photo1-8_zpsb50b1338.jpg

Apparently the first reefer story was much earlier. Earliest known one, according to Reefer Madness website:

Oct 1937

MORE FUN COMICS #25: "The marijuana Racket" part 1 - a Johnny Law adventure - Note the date, this may be the first reefer madness story out there---and a horror of one it is. Story concerns starts out when a young marihuana addict shoots dead an innocent women. This puts Johnny Law on the hunt for a gang of marihuana peddlers: "Chief, I don't care how we do it, But we must stop this peddling of dope to kids! That kid that did the shooting this afternoon was a victim of marihuana." …… "Johnnie, the marijuana peddling isn't an ordinary rocket, it isn't done by organized crime but by small time racketeers" Needless to say, Johnny thinks differently, --- will he stop the gang? We will have to wait until we can get a copy of "More Fun comics #28" where the story continues.

Pub: Detective Comics - St. Louis, Mo.

I think you might be hard pressed to find examples much earlier than this. Harry J Ansglinger wasn't appointed to the FBN until 1930 and this is when most of the real fear mongering started re marijuana. The fear mongering for opium was a bit earlier due to its use by the Chinese and the labor disputes between Chinese and American working on the great rail (plus a whole heap of other events).

How about the first gay kiss in comics? In the background right past the weird chick's cigarette. The party-goers are finding it amusing too. Poor Amelia just can't get into the depravity.

Apparently Charlton was cutting edge in April 1971.

GayKiss_zpsd7df43af.jpg