• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PQ and tanning???

4 posts in this topic

I have heard it said that cover color/brightness is a poor indicator of pq but is there any correlation? If a book had significant tanning in a scan can I assume it more likely has cream pages? Or are the two phenomenon caused by different things and hence unrelated?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

I imagine there can be some correlation but to what degree I cannot say. I have seen comics with cover tanning that did not have cream (or worse) pages.

Given that the cover is a different paper type than the interior, I can see how one would age differently than the other.

I have heard it said that cover color/brightness is a poor indicator of pq but is there any correlation? If a book had significant tanning in a scan can I assume it more likely has cream pages? Or are the two phenomenon caused by different things and hence unrelated?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

I think the causes are the same but the cover is better paper stock than the newsprint insides -- but then the cover has greater exposure to some destructive elements than the insides.

This reads a bit like a cop out answer but the scenario is complex.

I've seen books that have very bright outer covers and very fresh, white pages yet exhibit significant tanning on the inner covers, so I believe there may be slightly different causes. I'd love to hear from more board members on this!