• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing Ain't Nothin' But Restoration Misspelled!

29 posts in this topic

Pressing: An anathema to the industry? What is it and why is it such a controversial issue?

Before you start bombarding me with hate mail, allow me to spew forth my venomous opinions and distaste for pressing, for I harken pressing to a growing taint and malignancy in the comic book collecting community which needs to be pacified!

Perhaps I'm going to the extremes and I don't want my tirade to be misconstrued as a "witch hunt", but I do think there should be greater transparency and disclosure in the comic book collecting community and an adherence to a code of conduct and protocol. I believe all owners of pressed comics should do the ethical thing and reveal to the collecting community at large the comics which have been pressed.

What is pressing and why do it? The very goal of pressing is to improve the current condition of a comic book... to flatten and smooth out whatever spine rolls, bends, folds, creases, wrinkles, and other similar defects that affect the pages and covers of a comic book, in order to restore the appearance, condition, or grade of said comic book. The desired effect is a restoration to a Mint or Near Mint state. So any comic which, as a direct result of Pressing, achieves a superior or modified grade (in other words physically altered from its pre-pressed state), has been through a restoration process... pure and simple.

Better yet... here's an explanation I pulled out from the Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide Third Edition (2006): "Pressing can be a complicated procedure that includes fully disassembling a comic book, performing work on one or more of its constituent parts, and then reassembling it. Pressing can also be something that is done to a comic book as a whole. In each case, there are a variety of measures which can be taken and they produce a variety of results, some positive and some negative. Even stacking and storing comic books a certain way can produce some of the effects of pressing."

That definition was later changed to a new one... "Pressing: A term used to describe a variety of processes or procedures, professional and amateur, under which an issue is pressed to eliminate wrinkles, bends, dimples, and/or other perceived defects and thus improve its appearance. Some types of pressing involve disassembling the book and performing other work on it prior to its pressing and reassembly. Some methods are generally easily discerned by professionals and amateurs. Other types of pressing, however, can pose difficulty for even experienced professionals to detect. In all cases, readers are cautioned that unintended damage can occur in some instances. Related defects will diminish an issue's grade correspondingly rather than improve it."

Ask any collector why they choose to press. What's the motivation? Is it for vanity's sake? Or is it something else entirely? The answer comes down to dollars and cents. Collectors who choose to press, do so in order to alter the appearance, condition, or grade of a comic, which in turn will directly influence its fair market value... in other words... the better the grade or the comic... the more its worth! It's a fairly simple principal... Who doesn't get it? Of course that's the answer. It would be absurd to think of any other reason. I mean why else would you spend time and money on it? We all know how many more dollars a vintage comic can fetch when it goes from an 8.5 to a 9.2 or even 9.6 or 9.8.

Also cited from the Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide Third Edition (2006): "Writing on the broader topic of restoration, archivist Tracey Heft of Eclipse Paper Conservation noted, 'No less an authority as the International Institute of Conservation (IIC) has defined restoration as 'any attempt to return an object to its original form and purpose, in the attempt to recreate an earlier known state or condition.'"

By that definition alone, pressing falls under the domain of Restoration. And for all you Pro-Pressers out there I ask you... If Pressing isn't Restoration... then what is it? Cosmetology? So what's the big deal if pressing is considered restoration? Why are pressing exponents so afraid of the Restoration Label? That too comes down to money. Why? Well, anything labeled "Restored" has a perceived "taint" on it which negatively affects its fair market value. Or as the OOCBGGTE puts it, "Restoration -- the word carries with it a lot of baggage, particularly in today's comic book market."

So what? What's wrong with wanting a better grade through pressing means? What's the big deal? Here's a scenario: Imagine if two CGC copies of a particular vintage comic come up for sale at the same exact time, and both are of the same grade, lets say 9.6, and both are on sale for the same exact price, but you find out through CGC registration's grader notes that one of the comics went from a 9.0 to a 9.6... Would you ask why? Why the big jump? How did it go from 9.0 to 9.6? And if you investigate further and discover the original grader notes through the CGC database reveals a number of defects which when first graded suddenly mysteriously disappeared upon second grading. What conclusions would you draw? If restoration is not detected on the grader notes, than any Sherlock will come to the elementary conclusion pressing was involved (pressing is a challenge to detect and the logical conclusion would dictate as such). Then ask... "Now that I know this info will it effect my decision to purchase said comic? Will I choose one over the other because of this? And knowing a comic has been pressed will it have an impact on its retail value?" The answer would be yes!

Mind you, pressing is not Conservation nor is it Preservation... it is Restoration. I myself am a "Condition Purist" and if I am on the market to purchase a vintage comic book of high grade I would want to know if pressing was involved in achieving its grade just as much as I would want to know if any other restorative techniques were involved.

So is pressing fair? Is it fair to all those collectors and their comics who got a legitimate high grade... 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8... etc... and who didn't resort to pressing or any other restoration techniques? The answer is yes if there's disclosure, and no if there's not. I personally appreciate those collectors who are honest and reveal whether their comics have been pressed or not. I also appreciate the collectors and archivists who manage to preserve and conserve their collections and achieve high grade. Such legitimate high grades are a testament to their hard work and efforts, and allowing non-disclosed pressed comics into a pool of "clean" comics is not only diluting the purity of this comic pool but it is also a slap to the face of any collector and archivist who doesn't rely on restorative means.

Here's another scenario: Imagine if you were to take a high grade pedigreed comic, let's say a 9.4 or 9.6 and decide to have it pressed just to get it up one or two or potentially three decimal points... can you imagine the ripple effects on the market if such pedigrees were altered? Is it ethical to even do such a thing?

But let's face it... collecting vintage comics books is a business and many of the community members will not be open and honest about their pressed comics when it's time to sell. So with that in mind, the CGC must actively create a new label system that will account for changes in the grade of a comic, especially for those comics which already appear on their registration database that suddenly receive a dynamic bump in grade. And I don't mean a comic which is re-graded or re-slabbed and goes up only one grade decimal point... no... I am talking about any comic that rises two grade decimal points or higher. Such a bump is a flag... a red flag that warrants restoration investigation. And the CGC needs to compare and analyze its notes from the original grade notes to the new one's and make a professional determination whether pressing or some other form of restoration was involved.

And I understand at this present point and juncture pressing is nearly undetectable... which presents a big problem: How can anyone tell if a raw ungraded comic has gone through pressing? The answer is we can't. However, we can create a governing body which runs a "National Comic Book Restoration Database", linked and compiled to the databases of companies providing all restorative and professional pressing services. Said "National Comic Book Restoration Database", should be linked to the CGC, PGX, and any other third party grading authorities. Said database should essentially capture an image of pressed comics before and after pressing, and trace ownership at the time of pressing, along with other information specific to the comic book: Title, issue number, etc. Said database should also be accessible through a web-portal to all collectors as well. Who would pay for such a thing? We all do! How? Through membership fees and fees allocated from each comic graded. Such a database would be a boon to all collectors thus giving the comic book collecting community transparency. Basically it becomes the CarFax for Comic Books... check under the "hood" of a comic before buying it.

Does that very idea scare you? Do you tremble at the notion of full disclosure? If so maybe because deep down in your hearts and minds you know the truth!

Final words... sometimes you have to celebrate a comic book for what it's worth... warts and all. Maybe this debate really reveals how we're all too wrapped up in the silly notion of grades and conditions. Maybe the whole community needs to just chill and relax and be happy with the 4.0's, 6.5's, 8.0's and 9.0's and not worry and stress so much about achieving the fabled 9.8's and above.

Pressing... I'm not imPRESSED! Pun intended. Leave well enough alone.

Let the debate begin!

Happy Collecting!

SW3D

13240.jpg

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Its an interesting idea about creating a data base but the only way it would work would be giving the pressed comics a registration number that is somehow put on the comic as tracking them would be near impossible otherwise. Just get someone to mail them in for you and the info given to people looking up a comic can't give out owners details. I wouldn't want someone knowing my address if I sent in some of my very old comics and was attempting to sell them. That's asking for trouble. Pressing does sound like restoration to me but its something that's near impossible to detect it seems. I think I would still be OK buying a pressed comic but other restoration I would stay away from.

Who knew you had such a distaste for pressing? The real question, and I don't see this answer in your journal, is why? What is it about pressing that gets you so fired up? I get that you don't like the fact that it's undetectable and undisclosed, but what does it matter? As I mentioned in response to a previous journal, I would pay the same for a book that was 9.6 from the start, and one that was pressed from a lesser grade to a 9.6. Dude, it's the SAME book and condition! Who cares if once upon a time it was a 9.4?

People get too upset about the smallest things. Next thing you know someone is going to start a business that will add a seal of approval sticker to differentiate between one 9.6 book and another...oh wait.

"Now that I know this info will it effect my decision to purchase said comic? Will I choose one over the other because of this? And knowing a comic has been pressed will it have an impact on its retail value? The answer would be yes!" Actually the answer would be no, and that's why we won't see any investments being made into the kind of tracking system you suggest any time soon.

We can agree to disagree on this point my friend. Keep the journals coming, love your passion for the hobby!

sig.jpg

I don't know if I should be commenting about this at three in the morning. I also don't know if I should be commenting with the extra NyQuil in my system. I have questioned why a book is considered a non restorative technique. I have given my books over to Matt Nelson of Classics Incorporated, now part of CGC, for pressing and then finally grading. I have written about this many times, disclosing what books are pressed in my journals...that I know about.

Many of my 9.8's have been pressed, I'm sure about it. The only guaranteed 9.8's I have in my collection that I know are an honest 9.8 are the ones I purchased off the rack. For shots and giggles I took a pressed book along with some other books to Matt Nelson for pressing and the grading. One particular book was already pressed. He couldn't detect that it was already pressed. I didn't place the book in front if him to be sneaky, I did it because I was curious. If the premiere source of pressing can't tell, how could CGC?

I have books in my possession that are curious about the condition. Lets take my ASM #129 first. Originally this book was graded a 9.2 with white pages. I could swear the book was a 9.4, and checked the notes (when it was free). The only notation was three spine stresses. Three spine stresses??? Ok. I figured the book was old and they knocked it down three points starting at a 9.8. I was ok with that but still curious. Then CGC had a signing with Stan Lee. How could I not try to get his signature on one of my books.

I sent in my ASM #129. It came back a 9.4 SS with off white to white pages. How? How did this happen? Did they grade it wrong initially? I didn't press it. And when I had the chance for John Romita to add his scrawl to it I rolled the dice. It once again came back a 9.4 with off white to white pages. Then I discovered pressing and I wasn't against it at all but I was curious on this non restorative technique was being touted as the next best thing fir comic books next to slice bread.

When CGC advertised on the 29th edition of the Overstreet's price guide coming soon I was skeptical. My LCS guy told me about them in fuller detail and I left with what could only be the taste of disgust in my mouth. Comic books were and always meant to be read and not archived away never to be touched again. Being that I was so against CGC on the beginning I gave the idea of Pressing (and the idea of CVA) a better chance. So as a candidate I chose my ASM #129 to get pressed after what I saw done on my Daredevil #3. It returned a SS 9.6, the ASM not the DD.

Another case in point. I won in auction an Alpha Flight/X-Men book, it was a 9.8. After deciding to get it signed, it dropped two grades to a 9.4, how the hell did that happen. It still looked the sane, but the drop was noted and my 9.8 became a 9.6. Oh my god I could continue going on and on. As the NyQuil had not taken affect (did I use the right affect?) I shall continue. The book in question is coming back to me a 9.8, exactly what it was before the signing, Why?

Then the books that are purchased raw like my X-Men 109, I purchased this to get my Incredible Hulk 109 a bit cheaper. I asked Matt Nelson for his help. He told me that after pressing what the books would originally attain. Mind you I had three to choose from, but can't remember the third. I wanted to read them before I handed them back to Matt for pressing. Then NYCC was upon us. I decided I would get signatures instead. I was told with a press the Incredible Hulk would be a 9.6. I was told the X-Men with a press would be a 9.4. They came back to me subsequently a 9.4 SS and a 9.8 SS, both without the services if Matt Nelson. And yet who knows if someone else didn't press them.

I have learned how to press, and pressed some if my comic books for the learning experience, and am even touting the idea of buying one if the machines to do it. But is pressing a restorative technique? I do believe a seller should disclose that information, but that is up to a seller not CGC themselves, another service such ad tracking a pressed comic book would increase the work load if an already overburdened system. I for one would rather them continue on improving their turn around timed than start a witch hunt on who does what?

The other and main reason I can only fathom is that pressing is a non-restorative technique because you cannot with 100% accuracy state that it was pressed. Color touch is easy, trimming is easy, and other discernible restoration techniques are easily noticeable that you can tell what was done but there is no way that anyone could say a book was professionally pressed or thrown between newspapers and left in a barn since 1950.

Just my two cents.

And on a non related topic, hi Surfer, I live your newest acquisition.

Thanks for reading

And c'mon NyQuil

This journal has got a whole "steroids in baseball" feel to it, cheating maybe? ....here's a question, all these books with the dreaded purple labels, was majority of the restorations done in the last 10 years or so? or before CGC? Or is it the raw comic dealers doing it? I don't think CGC comic dealers are gonna spend money to restore these books, knowing it'll come back with a purple label and it won't be as valuable. In my opinion, pressing fits into the restoration category. If pressing was given the purple label, majority but not all would look at it as any other purple label, bringing it's value down. Then people most likely wouldn't consider doing it.

I collect CGC comics for two main reasons. First because i feel it's a better investment down the line (then raw or pgx) and that at least i know for sure exactly what i have, not an estimated grade given by myself. Second because they display well. I want to see and show off that big high grade number, in that clear scratch free holder on my wall. But honestly, if that comic on my wall was pressed, as long as it didn't have that DREADED PURPLE LABEL, it would be no less respected or loved than any of my other blues. So in closing, restoration or not, as long as it doesn't have that label we've come to learn to look down upon, it'll always be acceptable to most. Kinda like "It ain't cheating unless you get caught" almost. I love this hobby!!!!

I'M P*SSED!!! NO ONE SEEMS TO GET IT!!!

CAN ANYONE WHO IS PRO PRESSING TELL ME...

IF THEY BELIEVE PRESSING IS NON-RESTORATIVE THEN WHAT IS IT?

WHAT CATEGORY WILL PRESSING FALL UNDER?

GIVE ME DETAILS AND TRUTH NOT OPINIONS AND RUN AROUNDS!

FULL DISCLOSURE!... IS ANYONE FOR IT?

IS IT ETHICAL TO SELL A COMIC BOOK THAT HAS BEEN PRESSED AND NOT DISCLOSE IT?

DOESN'T THE CONSUMER HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW?

I HAVE PURCHASED A NUMBER OF HIGH GRADE COMICS AND I DO NOT KNOW IF ITWAS PRESSED!!! NOW I HAVE DOUBTS ABOUT THIS ENTIRE COMMUNITY!!!

I HAVE A GOOD MIND TO DUMP IT ALL... BECAUSE IF PRESSING IS GOING TO MAKE EVERYONES COMICS A HIGH GRADE THAN THERE IS NO POINT TO CGC AND NO POINT TO HAVING ANY OF IT... WHY? BECAUSE AS MANY OF YOU THINK AND FEEL THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH PRESSING SINCE IT IS UNDETECTABLE. WELL HELL IF ITS THAT SIMPLE THEN ALL MY COMICS WILL GET PRESSED AND VIOLA 9.8'S 9.9 AND MAYBE EVEN 10'S... FAST FOOD MINT GRADES... THAT IN MY BOOK IS A BUNCH OF BULLS*IT! I DIDN'T WORK HARD FOR 30 YEARS TO KEEP MY COMICS IN THE CONDITION THEY'RE IN ONLY TO HAVE THE GUY NEXT DOOR GET A BETTER GRADE CAUSE HE PRESSED HIS! THAT F*CKING STEAMS ME UP.

LIGHT A MATCH TO THIS TAINT CAUSE IT REALLY MAKES ME SICK!

WHAT HAPPENS THE MOMENT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CATCHES UP AND PRESSING BECOMES DETECTABLE? WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THOSE COMICS THAT COME UNDER THE SCRUTINY OF A NEW METHOD TO DETECT PRESSING? DON'T FOOL YOURSELVES TO THINK IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN FOR NONE ONE SHOULD DOUBT INGENUITY TO SOLVE SUCH A PROBLEM!!!

FROM THIS DAY FORTH I WILL NO LONGER BUY CGC COMICS FROM ANYONE!!!!

WHY?

UNTIL I HAVE A GUARANTEE THERE IS FULL DISCLOSURE!!!

WITHOUT IT THE INDUSTRY IS SUBJECT TO TOO MUCH CHICANERY FOR MY TASTES!

WHEN I BUY ANYTHING FOR VALUE AND INVESTING I WANT FULL DISCLOSURE!

I BUY A HOUSE I NEED TO KNOW ALL THE REPAIR WORK ITS BEEN THROUGH!!!

SAME THING WITH A CAR!

SAME THING WITH AN ART PIECE!

SAME THING WITH COLLECTIBLE COMICS!

FULL DISCLOSURE!

IF COLLECTORS DON'T BELIEVE IN MAINTAINING THE PURITY OF A SYSTEM BY DILUTING THE LEGITIMATE HIGH GRADE COMICS WITH THE RESTORED AND PRESSED ONE THEN WE HAVE A PROBLEM... IT CORRUPTS THE PURITY OF THE SYSTEM AND IT DILUTES FAIR MARKET VALUES AND HAS HUGE RIPPLE EFFECTS LIKE A TSUNAMI!

DON'T BELIEVE ME ASK ANY ECONOMICS PROFESSOR!

THIS WILL CAUSE A BACKLASH MARK MY WORDS!

NOW I WONDER ABOUT ALL THOSE MIGHTY COMIC COLLECTIONS SITTING UP ON THEIR MIGHTY THRONES... HOW MANY ARE LEGITAMATE AND HOW MANY HAVE BEEN RESTORED THROUGH PRESSING?

SCREENWRITER3D

I agree that people should disclose all things regardless. Just like with cars or other purchases. But of course people aren't exactly honest. All of my books except for 1 were bought raw and submitted by me. So unless some of the older back issues were pressed and stored raw again mine aren't.

Do i have a problem with buying a book thats been pressed, no. I've actually considered doing 1 or 2 myself. But its great you mention a car in your last post. Does pulling a dent from a car constitute restoration. No it doesn't. Its more of repair and maintenance. But they are also two separate mediums. But I think my indifference is based on being a car lover and understanding that its not restoration in that medium.

I'm sorry that it infuriates you to this degree. I can see the point of not wanting to buy them or do it yourself and wanting disclosure. But in my opinion its a non issue. I hope you're able to figure something out and continue in the hobby.

You do realized by now that some of your slabs that you bought and love and cherished contained books that may have been pressed right? There are plenty of raw books that are pressed also...thus buying raw only won't keep you from buying "restored" books. Unless you know your sources, and there are plenty of sellers that have never pressed their books, then EVERYTHING is fair game to the maximization gauntlet.

The lust for the all might big number(size not the actual 6.0 or 9.8 since pressing a 4.0 to 5.0 can be big money too) on top left of a slab is a intoxicating to the people that want make the most profit of that big number. No money left on the table is the mantra....I chose not to play in that arena long ago so i voted with my wallet to not buy slabs if I can avoid them.

It is what it is....the debate of pressing is or is not restoration or should be disclosed have been hashed/debated/beaten/discussed to death and very little has swayed the mind of either camp. There are plenty of people that will disclosed that a book has been pressed or not but that is a very small minority.

There is no point to a collectors society if everyone can achieve the same grade.

If every one can purchase a 9.0 comic and have it pressed and come back a 9.8... then how does it impact the population census for that comic?

How does it also impact fair market value?

If there only existed a handful of comics at 9.8 but through the magic of pressing suddenly there is a swell in 9.8 numbers does that not adversly effect the collecting industry?

Case in point... i own two copies of Marvel Premiere 1 featuring Warlock. Both are Suscha News Pedigrees. Both are graded by CGC at 9.6.

The last time i checked the census there is only one and only one 9.8.

What if i get my copies pressed? And what if they get bumped up to 9.8 or 9.9... is that right? Is it fair? Is it ethical?

Now when i see a 9.8 for sale in the Golden Age, Silver Age, and Bronze Age i instantly ask myself was that comic pressed? Because i think to myself... how did that collector manage to keep that comic in 9.8 grade for all those many years. It seems to good to be true! So if i see that there are no stress lines, wrinkles, creases or any kind of defect that can be eliminated through pressing... it leads me to make that assumption... and that doubt nullifies the very reason for third party grading.

Do i also have to factor in the costs of pressing when it comes to the valuation of the comic which in turns impacts the price when it comes to buying/selling? Yes of course!

What really behooves me is that for all the lovers of superhero comics out there, there seems to be a high number of ethically challenged collectors.

I don't have to figure out anything... pressing is restoration... and restoration must be disclosed. The industry will suffer because of it. The system loses its integrity and then it collapses until it gets fixed. Anyone who doesn't believe that is in for a rude awakening!

As far as you car example goes... if you're talking about vintage cars and collections... restoration work in all regards must be disclosed and contrary to opinion will play a factor in pricing and decision buying... whether people care to believe it ot not.

The industry has had an amazing boost as a result of pressing, a few disgruntled people rally against it form time to time.

Its not the miracle people think, books have gone down in grades after pressing, not all defects can be pressed out, many stay the same after a press.

If a book goes up, who is to say that it was not inappropriately under graded to start with.

Plenty of people press books that they have no intention of selling, they would like a higher grade or they would like to have it look nicer.

Is cleaning a car restoration? its the same car, just looks nicer, you did not add or remove anything from the car (or the comic with pressing), I got my car detailed hard core before I took it in to assess trade value. Same car but looked really good and I'm sure it got a better value as a result. Have I offended car collectors with this?

You really cant assume that the 9.6 MF was always that; it could easily have been a 9.2 or 9.4 before it was pressed and slabbed and your brought it. That does no diminish the fact its probably a great looking book, congrats.

I do realize it which is why i wont buy no more... cant be trusted simple as that.

The only comics i will buy are the ones with the old labels that have been around longer with greater potential for purity and pedigrees... but i may be leery since peedigree owners are saavy business men who are in it for the buck and therefore may choose to press comics to make an extra buck!

See how that works... no faith... suddenly a buyer drops out!

Dude, plenty of old label books have been pressed.

Its impossible to get away from, which can be frustrating for people. (unless you get into getting moderns off the shelf).

Also you will see in sales threads here lots of sellers do disclose pressing when they have done it.

What is really bad is bad pressing that does actually damage the book.

You will soon be seeing one of the books in my sig line with a grade bump, no pressing done, just re-subbed as I thought it could do better and it did.

Not all grade bumps are 'cheating'

what makes you think your two 9.6 weren't pressed? have you call Comicconnect to verify that Suscha news high grade slabs have not been pressed? Jason (Sufunk) owns a ton of Suscha news Pedigree books also and he might shine in here if he thinks his slabs are "pure".

I got out of collecting about 16 years ago and recently got back into the hobby a few months ago. I've since discovered this whole world of CGC and pressing and to tell you the truth, CGC has partially sparked my interest in collecting again. I just sent my first raw books to be pressed and submitted :wishluck: and didn't bat an eye and not for one second think - "my book will be less desirable or cherished long term"

This may sound completely asinine and irrational -- but do you anti-pressing crusaders consider bagging/boarding a book and then storing it in a tight box "restoration"?

Quoting Overstreet's explanation of pressing - "Even stacking and storing comic books a certain way can produce some of the effects of pressing." I get it and I'll save you the response that pressing is NOT the same as protecting and preserving a book with a board and bag.

My simple take on this whole debate (for what it's worth) --

Restoration is adding something that isn't naturally a part of the book, while pressing is simply taking away something. Restoration (again, IMHO) is adding color or adding whatever type of paper is used to fill holes or gaps. This obviously was not originally part of the book. Restoration is doing something within your control. On the other hand, pressing is fixing something that may be out of your control. Unless you've picked up your book right off the printing machine, how many hands has it already gone through before it gets to you? Even if you bought it off the shelf from your LCS. And yes, everyone strives for the absolute best copy. And obviously, much of it is money driven. But doesn't everyone want to own the best copy they can of their favorite book? :cloud9:

All of that being said and even though I see nothing wrong with printing, I still think it's somewhat of an honor code that it be disclosed by sellers. It would not change my opinion about a book, but it may for some.

I do think you're putting too much faith in pressing saying that all these books are just going to leap up in grades. Theres nothing guaranteeing that.

It is a lot like a carwash as mentioned earlier. Its along the lines of routine maitenance, like changing your bags and boards over time. To me, at least, I don't see why pressing should be as frowned upon as adding ink or other restoration techniques that add to the book.

Ask any collector why they choose to press. What's the motivation? Is it for vanity's sake? Or is it something else entirely? The answer comes down to dollars and cents. Collectors who choose to press, do so in order to alter the appearance, condition, or grade of a comic, which in turn will directly influence its fair market value... in other words... the better the grade or the comic... the more its worth! It's a fairly simple principal... Who doesn't get it?

I think its pretty presumptive to assume that 100% of presses are done with the sole purpose of making more money.

I have a few books for my personal collection that I want to get slabbed/graded, and I want to get pressed, mostly because I want them to be their best. So if I can do a press to a book to take that bit of roll out, or the dimpling I choose to do it. You are right, it is vanity. I'd rather have a 9.4 than an 8.5 or whatever it is. But vanity is not the same as money.

Do you think color touching a book, replacing staples, or leaf casting a tear is the same as pressing a book to get a bend out of a book?

If so you have a very wide perspective on restoration, which is your prerogative, but it doesn't line up with CGC at the moment, or with all collectors.

You sound like you are upset that someone sold you a pressed book without disclosing it. Is that the case? If so, return the book if you are offended by pressing.

Would you own a restored book (Purple label under the current system)? If so why wouldn't you also own a pressed book? [if you wouldn't buy a restored book, then never mind, I understand your goal of owning only virgin book]. If your goal is owning virgin books then you need to avoid all the auction houses (some of whom encourage pressing/resubbing), and get to know which dealers here consistently disclose pressing and just buy from them or from original owner collections direct from the original owner.

If any act to improve the appearance or condition of a book is lumped into restoration then we get into the slipper slope of whether you should try to unfold that bent 13th page in your comic before subbing it. Cause you are trying to improve the condition of the book, which is restoration [its a crazy argument, but when you take a broad stance, you invite this critique, just pointing it out]

I treat pressing as optimization, not restoration, not conservation. Based on my definitions, It doesnt line up with CGC, or most but all I have control over is how I treat and think about my books.

I again ask, what brought on your ire? It sounds like you feel duped by a sale of a pressed book that was not disclosed.

I HAVE A GOOD MIND TO DUMP IT ALL... BECAUSE IF PRESSING IS GOING TO MAKE EVERYONES COMICS A HIGH GRADE THAN THERE IS NO POINT TO CGC AND NO POINT TO HAVING ANY OF IT... WHY? BECAUSE AS MANY OF YOU THINK AND FEEL THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH PRESSING SINCE IT IS UNDETECTABLE. WELL HELL IF ITS THAT SIMPLE THEN ALL MY COMICS WILL GET PRESSED AND VIOLA 9.8'S 9.9 AND MAYBE EVEN 10'S... FAST FOOD MINT GRADES... THAT IN MY BOOK IS A BUNCH OF BULLS*IT! I DIDN'T WORK HARD FOR 30 YEARS TO KEEP MY COMICS IN THE CONDITION THEY'RE IN ONLY TO HAVE THE GUY NEXT DOOR GET A BETTER GRADE CAUSE HE PRESSED HIS! THAT F*CKING STEAMS ME UP.

If you want to sell any 9.8's at a 8.0 price, PM me. ;)

I have a good mind to dump it all... Because if pressing is going to make everyone’s comics a high grade than there is no point to cgc and no point to having any of it... Why? Because as many of you think and feel there's nothing wrong with pressing since it is undetectable. Well hell if its that simple then all my comics will get pressed and viola 9.8's 9.9 and maybe even 10's... Fast food mint grades... That in my book is a bunch of bulls*it! I didn't work hard for 30 years to keep my comics in the condition they're in only to have the guy next door get a better grade cause he pressed his! That f*cking steams me up.

Hope you dont mind that I used Word 2010 to uncap your statement.

Can you take solace in the fact that your neighbor had to spend extra money to press his books up to the condition that yours existed in naturally?

Pressing doesn't turn everything into 9.8s. It seems to be able to turn some 9.4s and 9.6s into 9.8s depending on what the condition problem is.an 8.5 is not going to become a 9.8. A tear or a color breaking crease, will remain just that unless the owner wants to use non-pressing techniques. Its not a magic wand, and its not free.

And why do you care about other peoples books? Is it they are deluding the market and costing you money (just thinking back to your comment that everything is done for money). Do you need to be the guy with the best books? {which is fine, I know plenty of "competitive collectors" and that's certainly one way to be in the hobby, just trying to understand your approach, and where the anger (and caps lock) is coming from.