• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which actor was perfect in their roll in a superhero movie?

270 posts in this topic

Another one to try out that was mentioned before is The Shadow with Alec Baldwin.

Shadow.jpg

Baldwin seems to fit the role of Lamont Cranston (Kent Allard's playboy identity), and seems to have a good time with playing the character. Add to this actors like Peter Boyle, Tim Curry, Ian McKellen and Jonathan Winters and it makes for an even better set of characters to enjoy. The villain, Shiwan Khan (John Lone), really makes you want to hate him.

Not a great movie. But a fun movie nonetheless.

The most upsetting thing about the movie for me is if they were going to do a period piece, why not just do the original X-MEN? Would that have been so terrible? (shrug)

You wanted to an example. There ya go!

This really is a good movie. If you can get past the difference in timeline of when characters entered and exited the academy, it is loads with great acting as a standalone story.

But if you can't get past that part, I can understand the challenge it may have for hardcore X-Men fans.

Like I said before, I believe this movie was based on a comic with the same name ( which I haven't read ) and is not meant to be "the" X-MEN. On that alone I would give it a pass and say the movie was OK.

You shouldn't be giving the movie a pass on those grounds since it doesn't mimic the comic of the same name.

Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, Jude Law and Tyler Hoechlin in "Road To Perdition". Fantastic movie!

road1.jpg

The Paul Newman death scene is just so intense, violent, and yet shows the love between the antagonist and protagonist all the way until the end.

I do realize Daniel Craig and Jude Law were more antagonists than Newman. But because of the lack of action on the part of Newman to deal with his son's transgression, I really feel he allowed for things to spiral out of control.

Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, Jude Law and Tyler Hoechlin in "Road To Perdition". Fantastic movie!

road1.jpg

The Paul Newman death scene is just so intense, violent, and yet shows the love between the antagonist and protagonist all the way until the end.

Not a super-hero movie, but it is at the top of my list of comic-book adaptations. It may even work better as a movie. :)

The most upsetting thing about the movie for me is if they were going to do a period piece, why not just do the original X-MEN? Would that have been so terrible? (shrug)

You wanted to an example. There ya go!

This really is a good movie. If you can get past the difference in timeline of when characters entered and exited the academy, it is loads with great acting as a standalone story.

But if you can't get past that part, I can understand the challenge it may have for hardcore X-Men fans.

Like I said before, I believe this movie was based on a comic with the same name ( which I haven't read ) and is not meant to be "the" X-MEN. On that alone I would give it a pass and say the movie was OK.

You shouldn't be giving the movie a pass on those grounds since it doesn't mimic the comic of the same name.

I wasn't planning on reading the comic (shrug)

So many superhero movies out there but not many really got it right. But throughout all of them there were some perfect cased characters. Downey Jr is the perfect Tony Stark/Iron Man. Christopher Reeves was the perfect Clark Kent/Superman. And J.K Simmons was perfect for the roll as JJJ. But even in some of the bad hero movies there were some actors that were perfect for the part even though the movie itself stunk. So who do you think was perfect for the part?

My vote goes to the 3 I mentioned, pictured below. Who would you pick?

iron-man1_zps15643087.jpg

superman-christopher-reeve1_zps20ce7d0d.png

004SPT_J_K__Simmons_0151_zps02e6fc80.jpg

Yep. Same here. These are my 3.

Do some of you even read the comics that these characters appear in? Heath Ledger was not the Joker by a long shot. Hell, Cesar Romero played the Joker better. Wolverine is little over 5 feet tall, Hugh Jackman is over 6 feet tall. Oh, yes, he is the perfect Wolverine and the costume he wears in the movies looks just like the comic character. The whole X-Men movies looked nothing like the comic books at all. So, I am always amazed when comic fans say how good they thing those movies were. And, I always have to ask; "Do you even read the comics"? The same could be said for the last two Batman movies. Bane? That was supposed to be Bane? feh.

Do some of you even read the comics that these characters appear in? Heath Ledger was not the Joker by a long shot. Hell, Cesar Romero played the Joker better. Wolverine is little over 5 feet tall, Hugh Jackman is over 6 feet tall. Oh, yes, he is the perfect Wolverine and the costume he wears in the movies looks just like the comic character. The whole X-Men movies looked nothing like the comic books at all. So, I am always amazed when comic fans say how good they thing those movies were. And, I always have to ask; "Do you even read the comics"? The same could be said for the last two Batman movies. Bane? That was supposed to be Bane? feh.
I have to see them as separate concepts with the same name and same basic premise, in almost every case. It's why I don't usually run out to see the latest super-hero movie. I love the comics for what they are and the movies for what they are, but they really aren't the same thing. :)

Although I feel let down when a superhero movie is done poorly, I am also glad when a superhero movie is done decent. I'm not always seeking perfection or exact copies of the comics like 300 or The Watchmen.

Although I feel let down when a superhero movie is done poorly, I am also glad when a superhero movie is done decent. I'm not always seeking perfection or exact copies of the comics like 300 or The Watchmen.

No offense, but Watchmen was far from perfect or an exact copy. Though it would be difficult to capture a densly packed 12 issue series in a 3+ hour movie.

Amen. There are a myriad number of reasons why the movies represent so little of the source material they're based on. Most of them come down to ego and embarrassment.

I have to see them as separate concepts with the same name and same basic premise, in almost every case. It's why I don't usually run out to see the latest super-hero movie. I love the comics for what they are and the movies for what they are, but they really aren't the same thing. :)

I used to use that justification to myself years ago. Then I started realizing that if H'wood wanted to do it right, they could...but they didn't want to. That's the key.