• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Silver Age Red Skull?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Did you mean Cap 3 instead of 7?

No, I mean 7, yes red skull made an appearance in cap 3 and even got the cover but in cap 3 it is revealed That the red skull which appeared in cap 1 and 3 was really maxon and Schmidt is not actually reveled to be the real red skull until cap 7

Edited by Aliens

On 3/31/2013 at 1:24 AM, rjpb said:

As ToS 65 & 66 featured Cap stories set during WW2, wouldn't the first appearance in the Silver Age of the Red Skull actually be ToS 72?

Thread resurrection since I just read this Marvel Masterworks and as I am reading it I thought…this is an entire  story arc all set during WWII. As you noted it wasn’t until a few issues after issue 65 that Red Skull actually appeared in the current 1960’s Marvel Comics Universe. Issue 65 nor 66 should ever have been considered his first SA appearance. Red Skull first SA appearance in a 1940’s story…kind of stupid.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mephisto said:

Thread resurrection since I just read this Marvel Masterworks and as I am reading it I thought…this is an entire  story arc all set during WWII. As you noted it wasn’t until a few issues after issue 65 that Red Skull actually appeared in the current 1960’s Marvel Comics Universe. Issue 65 nor 66 should ever have been considered his first SA appearance. Red Skull first SA appearance in a 1940’s story…kind of stupid.

When would you say was Nick Fury's first SA appearance? Obviously it can't be in a story set in WW2, if I follow your reasoning.

I think this is rather silly.  I go by when a book was published, not what era the story was set in. 

On 2/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, shadroch said:

When would you say was Nick Fury's first SA appearance? Obviously it can't be in a story set in WW2, if I follow your reasoning.

I think this is rather silly.  I go by when a book was published, not what era the story was set in. 

While I think I agree with you, wouldn't this then argue for Sgt. Fury 13 being the first SA Captain America?

On 2/26/2022 at 10:05 PM, Randall Dowling said:

While I think I agree with you, wouldn't this then argue for Sgt. Fury 13 being the first SA Captain America?

How could it when the story is from WW2?  I'm pretty sure #13 came out after Avengers 4. You could say ST 114 was a try-out issue

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but in ToS #65, it is revealed that George Maxon was most likely taken out by the Nazis, and an imposter was put in his place.  It was not Johann Shmidt in this issue, or even George "John" Maxon (his name is changed in the silver age, or its a mistake for calling him "John" instead of George).  Yes, Maxon as established by Marvel retcon, was never the Red Skull, but the unfortunate victim of a nameless imposter, impersonating him for the real Red Skull (see the picture). This would seemingly make sense, except Shmidt refers to the imposter Maxon as Maxon in ToS #66, the very next issue, so I can see the confusion.

The first collector appearance of Johann in my book is ToS #66 where Cap has a nice face to face with Johann, who finally reveals himself to be the true Red Skull and gives his complete origin.

In reality, the Golden Age Red Skull made limited appearances, each time it was seemingly the same Red Skull coming back and thwarting death.  It was always assumed to be George Maxon, but the name George Maxon was never used again after the first Captain America issue. I checked.

My Golden Age Red Skull Chronology of Appearances:

• Captain America Comics #1 (Dec, 1940) - In this issue George Maxon is courted by Hitler to sabotage American Industry with promise of a post.  Maxon seemingly commits suicide by rolling onto a needle at the end.  The first splash page is probably Johann with him in a full Nazi helmet if retcon is what we are after.  This is what Marvel Universe Official Handbook 2009 has cited, so one of these skulls is Johann.
  • Captain America Comics #3 (Mar, 1941) - Red Skull returns when nobody bothered to check or bury his body.  He survived his own needle.  He is presumed dead from a bomb blast at the end, but Cap and Buc again, can't be bothered to check...
  • Captain America Comics #7 (Jun, 1941) - Red Skull play Chopin's funeral march and then kills someone.  He speaks like it's the same Red Skull coming back and plotting revenge from his last death.  If fandom want to rally around this issue as the true Johann appearance, cool.  Set in America, and its established Johann didn't travel here in other iterations.  Also one punch from Cap defeats Skull and sends him into murky waters.  It's established Shmidt is much stronger than that in ToS #66.
  • Young Allies #1 (Jul, 1941) - Set in Germany, could be a good Johann starting point, except the mask removed from Skull as he is torturing an agent is clearly George Maxon with his pencil mustache.  
  • Captain America Comics #16 - (Apr, 1942) - Epic story where Red Skull learns Steve's identity...and epic battle which Red Skull definitively falls from a plane and dies at the end...
  • Young Allies #4 (Jun, 1942) - Red Skull death recapped from Cap #16 and turns out he survived the fall with a parachute and ingenuity.  Story set at sea, Red Skull mask removed is still Maxon with his pencil mustache...Red Skull falls out of a plane at the end, and is REALLY dead this time.  For real.  I mean his shattered body with his mask on is shown on the ground.  How could all of the Young Allies and Cap get this wrong...(also a later retcon made Young Allies a comic book that existed inside the Marvel Universe, based on true and fictitious stories, and also due to harmful portrayals)
  • All-Select Comics #2 (Dec, 1943) Skull returns to United states? So he was in Germany all this time.
  • Captain America Comics #37 (Feb, 1944) - Doesn't die at the end!  Hooray! 
  • All Winners Comics #12 (Apr, 1944) - Taking over a town to turn people into Nazis
  • Captain America Comics #61 (Jan, 1947) - Imposter villain posing as the Red Skull falls off a dam and dies?  Not sure if Cap and Bucky know it's not the real Red Skull...
  • Captain America's Weird Tales #74 (Jul, 1949) - Red Skull is dead now?  The epic battle between Captain America is all a dream set in Hell...or is it...
  • Young Men #24 (Aug, 1953) - He's back and with the Communists...Albert Malik retconned
  • Young Men #27 (Jan, 1954) - Dies in a crash...I mean his dead body is lying there with eyes wide open after a truck crash and Cap and Bucky just run away...

Please correct me if I got any of this wrong and I will edit.  The history of Red Skull is convoluted with Timely not that tied to a continuity.  Somebody along the line decided that Cap #7 was special, most likely from the Marvel Universe Handbook from 1989...but there is no special story attached to Cap #7 (see above) so save your money.  Thankfully CGC didn't bite.   Marvel itself in their 2009 handbook corrected themselves and state the first appearance of the Johann Shmidt Red Skull was Captain America Comics #1.  The two Skulls were apparently working in concert those many years ago.

maxon3.jpg

Edited by Lost