• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First time CGC

31 posts in this topic

How do you transport a large quantity of comics without causing damaged that might lower the grade?

+1

I Was thinking of getting a few hundred onsite graded, but have no idea how I would carry them

So at what point would you guys say CGC becomes "worth it"? I have a few books (NYX #3, Morning Glories #1, Saga #1, Thief of Thieves #1, etc) I've thought about CGC'ing that I think are in pretty high grade, but if I don't plan on selling them is it worth CGC'ing them. And if I do want to sell something, is there a magic going rate where the cost of CGC is offset by the potential profits.

I've never CGC'ed either and I'm just curious because I've been debating it.

I guess the key how good is your grading skill. Also are you going to be happy if they with lower grade you expected?

That's the thing, I'm not really sure how good my grading is. I've read up on it and usually try to grade conservatively (especially on older stuff that is more likely to have defects) but since I've never had anything graded I don't know how accurate I really em. If I got something slabbed, I'd be disappointed if it came back as anything lower than 9.0 for an older book and 9.4 for a modern (though I'd hope for a 9.8 like everyone else since I try to be selective when buying).

So at what point would you guys say CGC becomes "worth it"? I have a few books (NYX #3, Morning Glories #1, Saga #1, Thief of Thieves #1, etc) I've thought about CGC'ing that I think are in pretty high grade, but if I don't plan on selling them is it worth CGC'ing them. And if I do want to sell something, is there a magic going rate where the cost of CGC is offset by the potential profits.

I've never CGC'ed either and I'm just curious because I've been debating it.

I guess the key how good is your grading skill. Also are you going to be happy if they with lower grade you expected?

That's the thing, I'm not really sure how good my grading is. I've read up on it and usually try to grade conservatively (especially on older stuff that is more likely to have defects) but since I've never had anything graded I don't know how accurate I really em. If I got something slabbed, I'd be disappointed if it came back as anything lower than 9.0 for an older book and 9.4 for a modern (though I'd hope for a 9.8 like everyone else since I try to be selective when buying).

Try putting a few up in the grading section, they will tell you if you missed anything

Lets not forget the most important thing.

Check when CGC start accepting on-site submissions!

If they start the day before,every dealer and their frikken dog will be trying to beg,steal or borrow a dealer pass.

You really need to get there in line,opening morning as the doors open, with paperwork filled in and cash in your wallet.

Otherwise, they will still accept them but will just go in the tier you choose with everyone elses that didn't submit on-site.

No point lumping 100 slabs around if they are still going to take 4-5 months to come back.

2c