• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no OFFICIAL word from CGC about increase?

25 posts in this topic

Just wondering why CGC has not edited their web page, put a new article on the page about the price increase? They have not even come forward and made a post on this forum about the increase...not all the members have received and email notifying them about the increase. There has not be one single official word from CGC on this increase...what gives? Is that standard operating procedure for CGC or a simple mistake on their part?

How many threads do we actually NEED on this subject?

I think we all have the message that CGC is raising its prices.

Guess you did not read the original post...I was asking WHY CGC has decided not to release the OFFICIAL word on the forum about the price increase. This was not intended to let people know that prices are going up...that is evident by the (not quite yet 12) posts we have already.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I asked Gemma the same question and she said they didn't want to get flooded with submissions (so I guess they are hoping people won't know before it is too late to submit books at the old prices???). A poor way to treat your customer base if you ask me. Some people seem to have gotten the email while others didn't.

Hi mcgowon (nice to meet ya')

I don't get the impression that CGC (or many businesses) feel its in their best interests to "bang the drum" about unpleasant news... in this case, price increases.

I would guess from their perspective, It's better (if possible) for the "bad news" to leak out slower and spread, sparing them the immediate, all at once backlash they might receive otherwise. (or a flood of submissions as pointed out above)

It may be S.O.P. though... when CGC removed the "Label Comments" months back, I feel their efforts (as far as I can yet determine) at bringing widespread awareness of that very important policy change, was severely lacking.

Thus far (and please lmk if I'm mistaken), I'm aware of only one article that CBG published announcing the policy change (but remember, that was a third party reporting comic related news). I can't find anyone who remembers there being an ad placed, and paid for by CGC running for a few weeks in the CBG announcing that important policy change in an effort to make sure the buyers were aware. Same for Wizard, in terms of a CGC ad. Most regular CGC submitters/sellers I spoke to seemed to be in the loop though. I also have not heard anyone tell me they received an email about the label comment policy change, as some have received concerning the recent price increase news. That would have demonstrated to me that they are indeed concerned and have real sensitivity to the fact that problems could (and have) resulted from buyers being unaware of that policy change. I was told there was another article in the CBG at some point, in which someone offered opposition to it, but again that was an editorial or article... where was CGC's effort?

When questioned, CGC also said they had an announcement on their website for awhile. I'm sure it was there, but I don't recall seeing it. Maybe it was not very conspicuous, nor there very long? Anyone ever see it, and notice for how long? I'm not sure there's one good reason why it should not be there now, still... as many, many buyers out there are still not aware of the "Label Comments" policy change. Others, new to CGC collecting, may also be new to visiting the sight an have no opportunity to learn this important info. Many still buy CGC books expecting to see label comments if there is anything (date stamps, writing, etc.) to report as they did in the past... and still see on some slab labels being sold. This confuses the issue, and has led to unwanted purchases, seller/buyer battles, avoidable misunderstandings, etc. and perfectly illustrates why a better effort should have been made, and why that info should still be on the site in my opinion. The fact is that a great deal of CGC books in circulation (and in collections not intended for sale yet) still have the notes. Since imo a widespread effort was not made to inform people, it honestly does make me wonder if they just wanted it to be a quiet transition with hope few would make noise about it. It seems like there was little concern given to the likelihood that some of us would be forced to accept it... while possibly learning about it the hard way.

I think the CGC website should have a permanent feature, that in "time-line fashion", details each and every (at least major) policy change, service change, price increase, etc. That way, anyone can reference anything, at anytime if they have questions about the history and/or current state of CGC's various policies. How are new CGC collectors, visiting the site for the first time, supposed to know that label notes are no longer on newer books, can be removed for fee from older ones, and that they have to be aware of this as not to get stuck with a CGC book they may not want?... especially in this "no return on CGC books" reality we're in.

On another note: I just recently learned that for a while they did not have page quality notes on early CGC labels. Others recently learned that some slabs had/have no wells, etc. This might not be as damaging info not to have... compared to the "label notes", but it could cause some to suspect fraud or tampering.

I think most of us understand that an adjustment phase or fine-tuning will occur with a new business/service. What's seemingly overlooked thus far, is that the end users would be more comfortable and accepting imo if genuine efforts were being made to keep them informed and in the loop.

In short, CGC could definitely improve their communication, especially to us end users.

Kudos to all sellers that take the time, and are willing to inform potential buyers about label note conditions that are not on the new labels. I'm working on a list to be posted for recognition at some point when it reaches a certain number.

That is wierd, I have submitted a whopping 6 books to CGC, and I got the e-mail. Because of that e-mail, I sped up my latest submissions, and four moderns will be on their way to CGC via Priority mail tomorrow.

As far as CGC worrying about being flooded with submissions...well, if people are like me, the post office is gonna need an 18-wheeler to deliver all the packages that are going to be arriving at CGC in the next 7 days laugh.gif

In fact, I am expecting a delay due to the flood of submissions they will be receiving (hopefully, because I paid for images...I will be able to drool on my computer screen looking at my graded books at least a week before receiving the comics back).

With Regards

Christopher H.

"Guess you did not read the original post...I was asking WHY CGC has decided not to release the OFFICIAL word on the forum about the price increase. This was not intended to let people know that prices are going up...that is evident by the (not quite yet 12) posts we have already.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?"

Yawn

Really? This is weak...I've submitted hundreds of books for the last 3 years and I had to hear it through the grapevine. No email, no website note, no advance notification here, no nuthin. The last time they jacked their prices there was well-publicized advance warning on their website (as well as elsewhere as I recall)...but not a peep this time. mad.gif I like Bruce's idea of a timeline documenting their changes in policies, label colors, service offerings, fee schedule, and so on.

Power to the People!! mad.gif

"It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand."

Hmmm....kinda like the bumper sticker that says "Save The Environment" stuck to the back of a smoking, no tune-up in 20 years, leaking oil, stinky, VW....

I think most of us understand that an adjustment phase or fine-tuning will occur with a new business/service. What's seemingly overlooked thus far, is that the end users would be more comfortable and accepting imo if genuine efforts were being made to keep them informed and in the loop.

I agree! I run my own company (non-comic related) and keeping your customers in-the-know is one of the most important things that your customer service/PR department can possibly do. Even the WORST run business in the world gives 2 month notices of rate increases - The US Post Office.

CGC needs to understand that allthough there are several HUGE dealers that may do $20,000 to $40,000 in business with CGC per year, that their main market and most important customer is "the little guy". In the past 3 weeks, I have submitted enough comics to rack up almost a $700 bill with CGC. Thats not a tremendous amount, but they won't be getting another $700 from me for a while - not because of the rate increase, but simply because I get the impression that they don't care about me as a customer....if they did, they should have told me. They have my address, phone number, email, and I subscribe to their newsletter and visit their web site almost every day - it would have been easy and painless for them to do so.

The large dealers only send their $20K to CGC because they know that I want to buy a CGC comic.... well if they continue to overlook the end-user in their business sales line, then I will stop buying CGC comics, stop sending comics to CGC, then the $20K guys will reduce their submissions as CGC arn't selling as well and CGC will be in a world of hurt.... But - that only works if people don't just grumble amongst them selves, and instead call CGC, complain, write emails and such...

I was merely remarking on your starting a thread of which there were already THREE others on the same subject. Whatever you had to say could have been said within one of those other thread rather than choking up the forum with pointless subjects.

I just love people who have been on the boards for five minutes, and go around one staring long time posters and whining just because they feel slighted. Some of us actually contribute USEFUL INFORMATION to these forums.

Grow up.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.