• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon - Are people going?

43 posts in this topic

For those who attended Wonder Con. What were your impressions? Myself Wonder Con has been going downhill since it went south. First year I had fun hanging with friends and seeing a number of artist I like. Last year fewer good artist and fewer people I knew who wanted to come to the con. This year a number of collectors just came for a few hours one day or just one full day. Only Bechara, Kirbyart and Donnellys were setup to sell art, no Albert, Anthony or Burkey (wondering around with portfolios) as in past years of Wonder Con.

The show is really going down the drain since it left SF, but the OA dinner was fun (but only 1/2 showed up). I just don't think I will be back next year thinking of ECCC or Mega-Con. What is everyone else think?

I enjoyed it although as you said there really weren't many dealers (I'll add scott eder to your list) and it was better when it was in SF. The vibe is much more tame than comiccon, which I like.....one of the things that was a bit annoying was that most of the dealer inventory was about the same as the last time I went, with just a few new pieces and some of those had just been shuffled around between dealers. In terms of finding any surprises it was not to be, part of the fun for me is discovering something or someone who's art I hadn't seen or heard about before or seen in person. I'm curious how the dealers felt....if they did well I'm sure more dealers would jump on board.....nice meeting you at the dinner Brian.

Last year I discovered a Manara pinup that wasn't at a OA dealer's booth and this year I got the X-Men #47 page from a book dealer. It pays to check out every booth no matter what they have on the walls.