• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is staple reinforcement resto?

23 posts in this topic

So yes, CGC has unintentionally affected the prices on restored books through their dual colour label system and should adopt a system in which the marketplace becomes the arbiter of a book's value. An unified colour label system with a formalized restoration rating and restoration notes would provide more relevant information to the buyer in making his purchasing decision, instead of the stigmitization by CGC with their current use of colour flash cards.

Amen brother! grin.gif

Or, to quote I forget which Universal Horror classic monster movie (I THINK it was Renfield (Dwight Frye) in the 1931 DRACULA) - "Be guided by what HE says!" thumbsup2.gif

But, isn't it true that a small amount of non-archival tape or even glue at the staples on a GA might wind up with a Universal? Seems like a double standard that will need to be reconsidered down the line. Right now, they are basically saying that if you do a crappy job of conserving a book it's OK (i.e. Universal), but if you do it in a way that preserves the original integrity of the copy, it's a PLOD.

As far as tape goes, that is my impression as well. Just because collectors in the real old days used scotch tape to seal tears etc. doesn't dictate that such are not restoration - and ths is what I have been lead to believe.

Anyone at CGC who can correct me on this please do!

It seems that tape is allowed at a wide range of CGC grades, at least within in the Golden Age era. Of the books that I looked at, if the only note was regarding tape it was a blue label. However, if there was any other mention of restoration or conservation it seemed to garner a PLOD (i.e., minor color touch, glue, pieces added, etc.)

All American Comics 16...CGC 3.5 Universal Label....2 Pieces of Tape on Spine.... Here

Green Lantern 2..............CGC 4.0 Universal Label....3 Small Pieces of Tape on Interior Cover... Here

Green Lantern 48............CGC 5.0 Universal Label....Tape on Back Cover... Here

Thrilling Comics 1.............CGC5.0 Universal Label....2 Large Pieces of Tape on Interior Cover... Here

Batman 6........................CGC 7.0 Universla Label...Small Piece of Tape on Interior Cover... Here

WDCS 112......................CGC 8.5 Universal Label...Tiny Piece of Tape on Cover.... Here

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But, isn't it true that a small amount of non-archival tape or even glue at the staples on a GA might wind up with a Universal? Seems like a double standard that will need to be reconsidered down the line. Right now, they are basically saying that if you do a crappy job of conserving a book it's OK (i.e. Universal), but if you do it in a way that preserves the original integrity of the copy, it's a PLOD.

As far as tape goes, that is my impression as well. Just because collectors in the real old days used scotch tape to seal tears etc. doesn't dictate that such are not restoration - and ths is what I have been lead to believe.

Anyone at CGC who can correct me on this please do!

It seems that tape is allowed at a wide range of CGC grades, at least within in the Golden Age era. Of the books that I looked at, if the only note was regarding tape it was a blue label. However, if there was any other mention of restoration or conservation it seemed to garner a PLOD (i.e., minor color touch, glue, pieces added, etc.)

All American Comics 16...CGC 3.5 Universal Label....2 Pieces of Tape on Spine.... Here

Green Lantern 2..............CGC 4.0 Universal Label....3 Small Pieces of Tape on Interior Cover... Here

Green Lantern 48............CGC 5.0 Universal Label....Tape on Back Cover... Here

Thrilling Comics 1.............CGC5.0 Universal Label....2 Large Pieces of Tape on Interior Cover... Here

Batman 6........................CGC 7.0 Universla Label...Small Piece of Tape on Interior Cover... Here

WDCS 112......................CGC 8.5 Universal Label...Tiny Piece of Tape on Cover.... Here

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overstreet allows tape in books VG and below. I'm fine with that, but above VG? 893naughty-thumb.gif