• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever think about the $$$ you lost enjoying this hobby.

162 posts in this topic

Do you know anyone in their twenties trying to find a job these days without a college degree?

There are some decent alternative paths to college, like the trades, but if you don't follow one of those, you are still absolutely better off with paying for a college degree, even in a low-demand major.

Most young people without a degree will have no path out of the sub-$15/hr job market. Most of Corporate America requires a college degree as the price of entry these days.

An awful lot of older workers are working jobs that they couldn't get as a new employee without a degree.

Money spent on education, especially a 4 year college degree is more and more a waste of far too much money. For too many kids its a four year all expenses paid vacation. Not all kids of course, but even those of us who didn't literally party 24/7 didn't exactly get our parents money's worth. Parents have to evaluate and discuss honestly with their kids as to the best use for the 100s of 1000s Of dollars a "education " now costs.

This is certainly top of mind for me too, with a (currently) three-year old! :)

My own four-year experience? In some ways worth it, in other ways, not. I definitely feel with hindsight, there are alternative paths I could have taken that could have been a more efficient use of the funds spent. All the more imperative to make note of as college costs now make my outlay from the past look laughable. :)