• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walkthrough and FMV on high dollar books?

59 posts in this topic

Hey guys

If I have a book worth 20-40k Slabbed is there any other service I can use besides Walkthrough? As 3% of FMV seems excessive is a significant fee.

And if not, how is FMV determined? Ospg? In house valuation? Gpa?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

Hey guys

If I have a book worth 20-40k Slabbed is there any other service I can use besides Walkthrough? As 3% of FMV seems excessive.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

:baiting:

136683.jpg.be41a42224b214bac1e228effebb203c.jpg

Hey guys

If I have a book worth 20-40k Slabbed is there any other service I can use besides Walkthrough? As 3% of FMV seems excessive.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

:signfunny:

Excessive was a bad word. I don't want to debate the merits of charging that fee. I wanted advice on ways to minimize it and how it is calculated.

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

136683.jpg

Excessive was a bad word. I don't want to debate the merits of charging that fee. I wanted advice on ways to minimize it and how it is calculated.

lol I had no problem with "seems excessive" - I don't always agree with the opinions expressed in my memes. (:

I am just sad that I never had a reason to look into the costs to slab a book worth more than 3K before :cry:

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

136683.jpg

Who determines the FMV (owner or CGC) and is it before or after the grading? I can see the owner undergrading and CGC overgrading to pocket so serious cash :baiting:

lol I had no problem with "seems excessive" - I don't always agree with the opinions expressed in my memes. (:

I am just sad that I never had a reason to look into the costs to slab a book worth more than 3K before :cry:

who decides the FMV the owner or CGC? Is it decided before or after grading? I mean a 9.6/9.9 can be big $$ and perhaps CGC might be a little loose. lol

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

136683.jpg

Who determines the FMV (owner or CGC) and is it before or after the grading? I can see the owner undergrading and CGC overgrading to pocket so serious cash :baiting:

who decides the FMV the owner or CGC? Is it decided before or after grading? I mean a 9.6/9.9 can be big $$ and perhaps CGC might be a little loose. lol

CGC make the decision and it's made after grading. I'd imagine GPA is used as one data point, as is market awareness.

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

136683.jpg

CGC make the decision and it's made after grading. I'd imagine GPA is used as one data point, as is market awareness.

Not in my experience. I've always put the FMV on the submission form when submitting the books.Minimum charge is $150, max charge is $3000

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

136683.jpg

Not in my experience. I've always put the FMV on the submission form when submitting the books.Minimum charge is $150, max charge is $3000

And if you put $1,000 down as the FMV on your 9.4 Hulk #1, CGC would take your word for it?

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

136683.jpg

And if you put $1,000 down as the FMV on your 9.4 Hulk #1, CGC would take your word for it?

IDK, never had a 9.4 Hulk. I try to either list what I think retail or guide is, or something close to what I paid. Whichever seems the most fair. I've never been questioned by CGC about it.

If you have had a book for 40 years and decide to get it slabbed, but still want to keep it.

It sounds like a bit of a rip off. :(

I never look at values at all as I have no plans to sell.

Thanks for the response FT. I have asked the cgc in the sub forum so hopefully they will reply as to how they reach a decision.

@ chris I don't have the books yet.

Please be sure to posts scans when it comes back from CGC.

Good luck with grading (thumbs u

Thanks for the response FT. I have asked the cgc in the sub forum so hopefully they will reply as to how they reach a decision.

Won't be until August, if at all. The stars will have to align just right for me to pull it off.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jake

Won't be until August, if at all. The stars will have to align just right for me to pull it off.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jake

I've sub'd high dollar books. Figure out what the low end for the final grade is likely to be and use your best guess for fair market value. I've used GPA in the past. Send it in and pay the 3%. If your FMV is too low and CGC disagrees with your FMV, they'll call you and let you know how much more that you owe to cover the grading fees. They will not call you if your FMV is higher. As with most things in life, estimate low (but be fair) and be willing to negotiate.

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Jake

136683.jpg

had a wd 1 9.8 submitted for me and when i got the invoice back, the fmv was marked between $200-$300 cant really remember. was shocked though. dont think any problems arose though.

Not sure how they determine value. My guess would be GPA. You could always call them.

In any case, if it were me, if I had a book that fell into that price range, I can't see myself using anything but walkthru.

I wouldn't even entertain the thought of sending it to them thru a postal service. I would hand-deliver it all day, everyday.