• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which auction houses press?

22 posts in this topic

I thought as much. If this something they do as a default as I see lots of improvalble books on cc and cl? Or do they target the high dollar books and leave the crumbs?

Your question seems to assume that the books listed on these sites are being sold by Heritage, ComicLink, or ComicConnect, but for the most part, they aren't. They're on consignment. It isn't the consignment company leaving the money on the table by not pressing, it's the consignors. Sometimes the consignment company notices this and buys the book themselves from customers. I don't know if any proactively recommend pressing to consignors or not. hm

I thought as much. If this something they do as a default as I see lots of improvalble books on cc and cl? Or do they target the high dollar books and leave the crumbs?

Your question seems to assume that the books listed on these sites are being sold by Heritage, ComicLink, or ComicConnect, but for the most part, they aren't. They're on consignment. It isn't the consignment company leaving the money on the table by not pressing, it's the consignors. Sometimes the consignment company notices this and buys the book themselves from customers. I don't know if any proactively recommend pressing to consignors or not. hm

It does not assume that.

Given that the sale fee is proportional to the final sale price if the auction house does not recomend pressing then it is both the consignor and the auction house that is 'leaving money on the table'.

I've sold books through Clink and have never had them recommend pressing to me. I am small fry to them, but have sold decent books when I have put stuff in auction ($500-1000 books). My experience may not be typical, but it is my experience.

There are questions of liability when pressing someone elses book. If the press damages the book, who is responsible ? I'm sure many pressed books are on these sites, but many are not pressed. That's why you see many books relisted with higher grades....because they weren't pressed to begin with. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Unless you buy a book from the original owner or you ARE the original owner, there's really no guarantee.

There are questions of liability when pressing someone elses book. If the press damages the book, who is responsible ? I'm sure many pressed books are on these sites, but many are not pressed. That's why you see many books relisted with higher grades....because they weren't pressed to begin with. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Unless you buy a book from the original owner or you ARE the original owner, there's really no guarantee.

I don't mind buying pressed. I Was just curious. I assumed they pressed their own books so I guess my question was really whether they actively encourage consignors to CPR their books?

Given that the sale fee is proportional to the final sale price if the auction house does not recomend pressing then it is both the consignor and the auction house that is 'leaving money on the table'.

Or the consignment company is making money by leaving it on the table and buying the book themselves. Obviously they wouldn't win every book this way, so it's tough to say which practice would yield them more money. hm

I think regular ComicLink listings go straight up for sale when you list them, so there's no review by ComicLink either way. Or at least it used to work that way a few years ago, not sure it still does. I don't know if ComicConnect reviews listings before they go up or not. I know Pedigree reviews listings.

There are questions of liability when pressing someone elses book. If the press damages the book, who is responsible ?

If any consignment houses were to ever advise their consignors to press--and I don't think any do--they'd have to shift liability for damage or lost value due to a downgrade to the owner.

Ah good point, I didn't think of that.

I know it is disclosed on their sites that employees can bid but I still don't like it. Especially if they then resell the book through the same auction house. In that case the interests of the consignor and consignee are in direct conflict.

Also, if they leave the book unpressed then there is a chance that the book will turn up at another auction, pressed. They will then receive their percentage TWICE for the same book. GOD BLESS...

All of them.

I don't believe any of the other auction houses presses consigned books. I've submitted to all of them, except Heritage and not one of them has ever told me a book I submitted would benefit from a pressing. They may sell pressed books or even press their own books, but your answer implies that they will press books for consignees, which I do not believe to be the case.

I know it is disclosed on their sites that employees can bid but I still don't like it. Especially if they then resell the book through the same auction house. In that case the interests of the consignor and consignee are in direct conflict.

Yep, the house buying their lister's books, pressing them, and re-selling them does seem unethical. hm Which venues do this? I wouldn't be surprised if they ALL do it, but I don't really know.

Yep, the house buying their lister's books, pressing them, and re-selling them does seem unethical. hm Which venues do this? I wouldn't be surprised if they ALL do it, but I don't really know.

hm

The best way to determine if a book has been pressed is to run the label through the CGC look up thingy search engine. If the book was slabbed recently before auction there is a higher chance that the book was pressed.

This gets into the territory of that Mound City thread a bit. I'm not sure I see how it is unethical if the auction house is bidding to win the book and will follow through with the sale. They are a legitimate good faith buyer in that case that helps determine a true market for the book in that slab/grade on that day. Shill bidders are bidding without wanting to win in order to drive up the price in order to make more money for the seller, whereas if the auction house is buying to resell driving the price higher is hurting their bottom line ultimately (less profit on resale). Many sellers wouldn't want to or know to press a book, and pressing does not guarantee a grade/price bump. If a seller is selling a book in good faith, and a bidder is bidding in good faith, where is the ethics problem?

I guess the way I see it the auction house is providing a venue for sale, and that is not a promise that they won't buy the book themselves. In an open and competitive auction it is a good market value sale. Hell, if the buyer gets 90% of any additional bumps the auction house provides with their bids they are still coming out better than if every good faith bidder did not participate.

All of them.

I don't believe any of the other auction houses presses consigned books. I've submitted to all of them, except Heritage and not one of them has ever told me a book I submitted would benefit from a pressing. They may sell pressed books or even press their own books, but your answer implies that they will press books for consignees, which I do not believe to be the case.

I'm sorry, I was being somewhat flip. All auction houses sell pressed books.

It does not assume that.

If an auction house sells lots of unpressed books that are pressed, come back higher, and are resold, that's just twice the money on one book. Why would they want everything pressed up front? That would be bad for repeat business.