• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

Someone like CGC needs to step up to this challenge and clear the air. This will end all debate and set the record straight. Not doing so is only tarnishing the name of these great Pedigree's, File copies & Collections.

I disagree for this reason:

LET THE MARKET DECIDE.

CGC has provided information on the label, it's up to the collector to determine what to do with this information.

I also understand why CGC only gives MHII designation to Chuck, since there are probably thousands of MHII certificates floating around, and there are no distinguishing marks on the books. Do I like that, NO, but I understand it.

... and if hard-pressed for another might even be persuaded to throw in Green River, again, for the story and because I like Brad more than you (poke2.gif).

yay.gif

flowerred.gif Thanks Alan!

I have no dispute with the statement that Alan likes Brad more than I like Brad. thumbsup2.gif

Alan, thanks for the reminder about Curator. I always forget that pedigree for some reason. So my demand is therefore amended to state that Curator, WM, PC and Western Penn are recognized by you as legitimate pedigrees.

Tim the QPQG

Someone like CGC needs to step up to this challenge and clear the air. This will end all debate and set the record straight. Not doing so is only tarnishing the name of these great Pedigree's, File copies & Collections.

I disagree for this reason:

LET THE MARKET DECIDE.

CGC has provided information on the label, it's up to the collector to determine what to do with this information.

I also understand why CGC only gives MHII designation to Chuck, since there are probably thousands of MHII certificates floating around, and there are no distinguishing marks on the books. Do I like that, NO, but I understand it.

Hello Sfilosa.

Thanks for you viewpoint.

The problem I have with "Letting the Market decide" is that no binding decision will ever come from having the an individual person/s make their own opinion.

My view is that if we could nominate a deciding party EG: CGC or maybe an even better idea would be to let the Overstreet advisers reach a concensus about what is and what isn't a Pedigree. This could be reviewed each 5-10 years to include newer international pedigrees if one happens to appear.

Even though the hobby of collecting comics is quite new in relative terms (only 2-3 generations) we will have countless generations to follow in the footsteps that we have formed.

In my opinion making this decision will only get harder as time goes on. Why not make the mark in the sand & if you disagree with the choices that are made you still have the option to ignore the Pedigree title. For those of us that want this facet of the hobby to be taken seriously now & in years to come there will be some binding, factual information to refer to.

Remember that over time peoples views change and unles rules are made the air can become quite foggy.

As this trading comics internationally also becomes more prevalent the origins and lineage of each pedigree will become watered down if this is not quickly set in stone.

To my knowlege setting rules and guidelines has worked in many other areas of collecting not to mention the way we live our lives in general. (we may not be happy with some decisions that affect us but they are generaly made with our best intrests at heart)

If you would like to explain in a bit more detail why you think it best for individuals (the market) to decide on the future of our pedigree designations Vs having an elected body do it for us it would be appreciated. You could maybe also give your viewpoint on why having an elected body to do this for us would have negative affects on the future of this hobby. I would greatly appreciate to hear your opinions in detail as my view may be a little one sided on this topic.

Regards,

Aussie Russ thumbsup2.gif

Tonight I am listing my 4 Western Penn Pedigree Books. Not ultra high in grade but still quite nice.

This captain Action is down a grade on the Boston copy but has bone white pages thumbsup2.gif

829220-CaptainAction%231CGC94WPenn.jpg

Its amazing to compare the W/Penn + Northland Ironman&Sumariner books side by side. It looks like they may have been produced very close together in the production run as the page cutting marks are almost identical in their imperfections. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

829220-Ironman%26Subby94Westernpenn001.jpg

Picked the following 2 books up on E-bay in Jan 05.

829220-GSSuperstars9.4Wpenn.jpg

829220-KullTheConqueror9.2Wpenn.jpg

829220-KullTheConqueror9.2Wpenn.jpg.cf188deac5ad2250863aca225861b127.jpg

Edited by AussieRuss

I don't have the book yet it should get here this week.

Amazing Fantasy #15 cgc 9.4 white mountain. I don't know how to post a scan and my scanner sucks anyway. The book is the one from heritages recent auction. They have a nice scan if anyone is interested.

x101

Wow, is all I can say, if you are the acquirer of the White Mountain AF15. hail.gif

Here is my latest lowly pedigreed acquisition, a substantial upgrade for me. I am very impressed with the quality of the whiteness preservation on the Oakland books. While I realize it can be found fairly easily in high grade, I still think the Thomas/Smith run on Conan is a tremendous one to collect (as well as to read):

conan5.jpg

If you would like to explain in a bit more detail why you think it best for individuals (the market) to decide on the future of our pedigree designations Vs having an elected body do it for us it would be appreciated.

There are several reasons but the main one is:

Whatever definition they determine NOW, would invariablyEXCLUDE some that are already recognized, or INCLUDE some that are not recognized by CGC.

Basically, I'm saying that I would rather have CGC give out more PEDIGREE DESIGNATIONS, and let the Market decide if a premium (or any worth) should be given to those books from that collection. While it might seem that they are diluting what a "pedigree" is, it's a case where more information is GOOD.

Well, the Northland X-Men run looks pretty darn nice, doesn't it? That is a terrific price you got, Nick, paying essentially the same as for a nonpedigreed copy in the same condition. thumbsup2.gif

Well, the Northland X-Men run looks pretty darn nice, doesn't it? That is a terrific price you got, Nick, paying essentially the same as for a nonpedigreed copy in the same condition. thumbsup2.gif

That was precisely what I was thinking, Bob. I was actually quite happy to go over $400, and bid accordingly, so was surprised to get it so low.

Mind you, got to pay the international shipping... frown.gif

I love raw books from the White Mountain pedigree. The collection was apparently stored in a closet or chest with mothballs. The smell of the mothballs lingers, but it clearly helped keep the paper fresh (it retains its' own newsprint smell) and remarkably white:

ST132.jpg

Sweet!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have to agree that, where possible, I much prefer to buy pedigrees raw. Usually, the colour, gloss, page quality and overall feel of a recognised pedigree is far superior to another similarly graded book...but if it's in a slab, you simply don't get the benefit of those factors.

A case in point...today in the post was a package received from our own Paul_Maul 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif, containing 5 unslabbed issues of Adventure Comics from the Northland collection. These puppies were simply stunning (two of them have shots at 9.6, I reckon), but I'm not even going to consider slabbing them, because slipped inside a mylar, they take your breath away!

If I can bear to handle them again, I might just scan them up.....

Back to the slabs, with another PC book with incredible structure and QP. Hard to believe this book didn't grade NM (more evidence that CGC has entered an especially strict period), and I suspect that there is not a dealer in the country who would have listed it raw as anything lower:

X14.jpg

Hard to believe this book didn't grade NM (more evidence that CGC has entered an especially strict period)

I hear you loud and clear with your statement

Back to the slabs, with another PC book with incredible structure and QP. Hard to believe this book didn't grade NM (more evidence that CGC has entered an especially strict period), and I suspect that there is not a dealer in the country who would have listed it raw as anything lower:

Bob, if you ever find out what the grader`s notes say, please pass it on. It looks pretty gorgeous to me too!