• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

Man, but those Curator books are unbelievably well-preserved. Congrats on picking up a bunch of them!

Continuing with the unencapsulated Pedigrees, here is a White Mountain TTA (thanks to Nochips/Stuart for a great transaction). It is unusual in that it lacks the written arrival year on the front cover - still has the characteristic arrival date on the splash page, as well as the original White Mountain sticker stuck to the mylar in which the book was first sold. Finally, I think the cover is cool. You think Porky uses that cover blurb as a pickup line at his local club?:

Beautiful looking copy (great colors and perfect centering). I have the Northand of that one and lots of White Mountain TTA's, and while I don't mind the arrival dates, I'd prefer not to have them on the front cover.

thumbsup2.gif

Man, but those Curator books are unbelievably well-preserved. Congrats on picking up a bunch of them!

Continuing with the unencapsulated Pedigrees, here is a White Mountain TTA (thanks to Nochips/Stuart for a great transaction). It is unusual in that it lacks the written arrival year on the front cover - still has the characteristic arrival date on the splash page, as well as the original White Mountain sticker stuck to the mylar in which the book was first sold. Finally, I think the cover is cool. You think Porky uses that cover blurb as a pickup line at his local club?:

TTA48.jpg

Don't forget that distinct WM smell. I can't really describe it, but they all have the same fresh smell to them. Very cool.

Don't forget that distinct WM smell. I can't really describe it, but they all have the same fresh smell to them. Very cool.

Hey, Stuart, thanks again for the terrific WM TTAs. The White Mountain smell, as I've waxed about poetically (?) before, is the heady blend of mothballs mixed with incredibly fresh newsprint.

For those of you too young to know about mothballs, they were used most commonly about forty to fifty years ago by our grandparents and such for closet storage - typically clothes, wedding dresses, fur coats, etc. The "smaller than golf ball" mothballs contained camphor and naphthalene, and not only did a great job of preventing any bugs from getting at valuable clothing, but apparently kept newsprint in an extraordinarily preserved state. Oh, yeah, and they stunk something awful (in my family, you'd always smell Grandmom from across the room wearing her winter coat).

While the Green River pedigree has an amazing backstory, it is not the only Silver Age pedigree collection identifiable by a characteristic date stamp on the front cover. The Bowling Green books mostly have a small-lettering black arrival date, typically placed adjacent to or within the title letters. This collection doesn't have ultra high grade representatives from the earliest Silver Age period, but has some stunning mid-Silver examples, and for that period the preservation of cover colors is the best I've ever seen for any Pedigree collection. Until I saw some of these BG books, I didn't realize the degree to which most books from the sixties have suffered from at least a little color fading and/or yellowing.

Just added the book on the left to my grouping of 3 early BG X-Men:

BGX-Men.jpg

Sweet Bowling Greens. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's a pretty decent pedigree because it has some early issues (tho most not in CGC 9.4), but has lots of later issues that are the highest grade copies and look brand spanking new.

Congrats on the new addition to your pedigree family. thumbsup2.gif

An odd little addition to the Green River collection...... this book was on ebay, unidentified, but with Rob React's help (he as another copy of the book, a CGC 9.2 with a date stamp that matches up to this one), I was able to ID it as having come from the Spokane WA. drugstore where the GR collection originated.

ZeMan once asked if books that hadn't been gathered together (actually, stolen by the store owners sons) and sold as part of the pedigree collection (ie, a book that might have been sold directly from the store) would be considered part of the pedigree collection. My instinct is to say sure, why not.

If Shin is out there.....I would assume this is not one of the copies sold to Hauser & Haack.......it might have been sold by Craig Barnett in the mid 90's, but because of it's less than stellar condition.....(maybe a 3.0, 3.5?), I'd say it just could be one of the books that sold directly from the store in the 60's. And those of course, would carry the same date stamps that the more pristine copies do.

Since Kenny(Zeman) first raised the queston, about a year ago.....I am designating this the KennyCopy of the Green River Pedigree DD10's. And thanks again, to Rob.

daredevil10bigkennycopy.jpg

An odd little addition to the Green River collection...... this book was on ebay, unidentified, but with Rob React's help (he as another copy of the book, a CGC 9.2 with a date stamp that matches up to this one), I was able to ID it as having come from the Spokane WA. drugstore where the GR collection originated.

ZeMan once asked if books that hadn't been gathered together (actually, stolen by the store owners sons) and sold as part of the pedigree collection (ie, a book that might have been sold directly from the store) would be considered part of the pedigree collection. My instinct is to say sure, why not.

If Shin is out there.....I would assume this is not one of the copies sold to Hauser & Haack.......it might have been sold by Craig Barnett in the mid 90's, but because of it's less than stellar condition.....(maybe a 3.0, 3.5?), I'd say it just could be one of the books that sold directly from the store in the 60's. And those of course, would carry the same date stamps that the more pristine copies do.

Since Kenny(Zeman) first raised the queston, about a year ago.....I am designating this the KennyCopy of the Green River Pedigree DD10's. And thanks again, to Rob.

daredevil10bigkennycopy.jpg

Hokey smokes, Redhook! 893whatthe.gif What a tremendously cool find! Have you asked the eBay seller where they got it from?

Stuart D. (nochips) told me about some collection of books out of Nevada (?) that was original owner but had Mile High-like markings on them. The belief was these books were part of the same distribution network that fed Denver while old Edgar was buying his hoard. (Or something like that ... somebody get Stuart over here to clarify!)

What an odd, odd hobby comic collecting is ....