• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions/Advice on selling to fund collection

31 posts in this topic

If you're really looking at going after a complete Batman run, sell everything you can and put those proceeds towards a #1 (you'll, obviouskly, have to have more money than the sales will generate).

Go for the keys first. They appreciate the fastest and will cost you more the longer you wait.

THE BEST advice ever! Don't worry about commons,go for the big fish first.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Do you collect Captain America Comics? ;)

lol Just don't say his name three times. :eek:

If you're really looking at going after a complete Batman run, sell everything you can and put those proceeds towards a #1 (you'll, obviouskly, have to have more money than the sales will generate).

Go for the keys first. They appreciate the fastest and will cost you more the longer you wait.

Pfft, you loved the attention :baiting:

Pfft, you loved the attention :baiting:

Stalker like tendencies is always a fun time. (thumbs u

It seems there's some debate about whether the WD will continue to go up in value, has topped out, or will go down. But I venture that almost 99% here would agree that Batman is probably NEVER going to go down in value.

About 12 years ago I managed to put together a pretty nice collection of Neal Adams Batmans and Detectives. I was able to pick up most Adams Tecs for about $50 to $80 in NM-, and I could pick up a NM- copy of Batman 232 or Detective 400 for $200-$300, a Batman 251 for about $100. Then my ex-wife and I got divorced and I had to sell the bulk of my collection to pay for the divorce.

Flash forward to a couple of years ago: things have settled down and I get a hankering to get rebuild my collection. All those Adam's Tecs I was picking up for $80 are now going for $150 to $200. High-grade copies of Batman 232, 251 and Detective 400? Forget it, waaaay out of my price range. In just a few years I had been almost completely priced out for similar grades.

The lesson? If you're going to go after of run of Batman, the longer you wait, the more compromises you'll have to make on condition or just accept that you're priced out.

As others have said, it comes down to what you TRULY love. It sounds like you're on a tight budget like I am. If you're satisfied with just having the one issue of WD, it would be cool if you could keep it and just move forward with your Batman collection. But if things are tight, that book could go a long way in helping you get a jump on the Batman stuff.

What will give you the most satisfaction to have in your collection? And will you feel that way years from now when WD is not longer the "hot" TV show?

It seems there's some debate about whether the WD will continue to go up in value, has topped out, or will go down. But I venture that almost 99% here would agree that Batman is probably NEVER going to go down in value.

About 12 years ago I managed to put together a pretty nice collection of Neal Adams Batmans and Detectives. I was able to pick up most Adams Tecs for about $50 to $80 in NM-, and I could pick up a NM- copy of Batman 232 or Detective 400 for $200-$300, a Batman 251 for about $100. Then my ex-wife and I got divorced and I had to sell the bulk of my collection to pay for the divorce.

Flash forward to a couple of years ago: things have settled down and I get a hankering to get rebuild my collection. All those Adam's Tecs I was picking up for $80 are now going for $150 to $200. High-grade copies of Batman 232, 251 and Detective 400? Forget it, waaaay out of my price range. In just a few years I had been almost completely priced out for similar grades.

The lesson? If you're going to go after of run of Batman, the longer you wait, the more compromises you'll have to make on condition or just accept that you're priced out.

As others have said, it comes down to what you TRULY love. It sounds like you're on a tight budget like I am. If you're satisfied with just having the one issue of WD, it would be cool if you could keep it and just move forward with your Batman collection. But if things are tight, that book could go a long way in helping you get a jump on the Batman stuff.

What will give you the most satisfaction to have in your collection? And will you feel that way years from now when WD is not longer the "hot" TV show?

I think this sums it up along with others of course. I'm going to sell the book. It will help achieve my ultimate goals. Thanks for all your opinions, that's why I love this place. Now to put it on eBay or sell it here. :taptaptap:

Sell it and buy a really nice double digit Batman. You'll never look back.

It never ceases to surprise me how quickly I get over selling books I'm in two minds about at first. Once gone they are easy to forget - for me at least.