• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for the Valiant reboot?

634 posts in this topic

When I say I like something, ears perk up and pay attention. If you sift through my comments, my advice is aimed at reaching the largest audience

All must BOW before the comic book industry savior who performs his miracles via comic book message boards!

Just figured I would lift my head up from the bow and say lmao

As far as a Shadowman movie goes... MTV was the people promoting a Harbinger movie. Let's wait and see if this "rumor" is more publicity they bought. I'm inclined to think they can't buy enough publicity to make anyone invest in their properties.

DG

As far as a Shadowman movie goes... MTV was were the people promoting a Harbinger movie. Let's wait and see if this "rumor" is more publicity they bought. I'm inclined to think they can't buy enough publicity to make anyone invest in their properties.

DG

Isn't that what most companies do in promoting their products while also trying to determine roadmaps and campaigns that will make them a success?

I would hate for Valiant's leadership team to just sit back and hope someone comes to them one day, asking if they want to make a movie. Then there would be complaints they weren't really business leaders, but rather kids playing in the comic store.

(shrug)

:applause:

Interesting reading going through the comments at the bottom.

-----------------------------

I don’t remember any of my friends liking Bloodshot. Or Valiant Comics.

Actually, after their “Deathmate” crossover with Image Comics, which tricked me into spending my 6th grade allowance on garbage comics, I actively didn’t like Valiant’s characters.

Let’s see if a good movie can come out of this.

If you hated Deathmate, it wasn’t Valiant that you hated. It was Image. Valiant 1992 were the best books on the market, far better than Image, Marvel, or DC.

Injected with nanites, blah, blah, blah. I’m bored with this comic book mess. When will it end?

You mean stuff like Road to Perdition, A History of Violence and Ghost World you you say “This comic book mess,” right?

Dark Horse has the same book The Machine. Published about 10 yes ago. Set up with LG but nothing happened.

Bloodshot is from 20 years ago.

lol

Comics General has spread across the internets.

An interesting comment.

Bloodshot is one of the best characters in the Valiant library. People forget that Valiant sold hundreds of thousands of copies of their books because of great characters and because they were taking chances Marvel and DC weren’t at the end of the day. This is a great property if done right. Congrats to Valiant on bringing their business back in a big way this year.

Comment by Stephen — Thursday March 1, 2012

I see this company being gone in a year, as all they do is print multiple variant covers and characters they don't truly understand. I know. I'm a professional critic.

Don't hate me because I am beautiful!

Comment by dgarthwaite — Thursday March 1, 2012

Just kidding.

:blush:

Ahhh! A Valiantfans member appearance.

lol

Anyone who bashes Bloodshot is obviously a insufficiently_thoughtful_person and never actually read ANY Valiant Comics in the early 90s. If done PROPERLY this movie could lead to a whole expansive Valiant Movie Universe, which would be awesome! Future movies and tie ins could be made with Eternal Warrior, ShadowMan, Ninjak, X-O Manowar, Harbinger Archer & Armstrong and so many others!

Comment by MarrowMan — Wednesday March 14, 2012

But I do agree with his take on how great these movies could be, if handled appropriately.

:wishluck:

As far as a Shadowman movie goes... MTV was were the people promoting a Harbinger movie. Let's wait and see if this "rumor" is more publicity they bought. I'm inclined to think they can't buy enough publicity to make anyone invest in their properties.

DG

Isn't that what most companies do in promoting their products while also trying to determine roadmaps and campaigns that will make them a success?

I would hate for Valiant's leadership team to just sit back and hope someone comes to them one day, asking if they want to make a movie. Then there would be complaints they weren't really business leaders, but rather kids playing in the comic store.

(shrug)

Normally, they try to jump on the bandwagon of something that has already proven it has an audience. Creative talent aligns with a property. Actors read a -script and start talking about it because they'd like to do it and stay employed. That pulls in fans of the actors and any fanbase they have. Marvel makes money because their characters have multiple generations that grew up with them. There is a familiarity. VEI can bring maybe 10,000 fans to the theaters at best. Anyone over and above that requires a huge investment of advertising capital. Hollywood can hire their own writers. They have no shortage of options. Chances are they are going to change a -script many times before a product is released. If they can call up a writer on the spot and say "make something to compete with X-men or Evil dead", then they don't need all the strings attached and the contracts they'd have to negotiate with a company who is just there to pay back their debts and leverage for as much of the pie as they can.

Maybe they will impress someone and leverage to get a movie made. I know that if I was investing my money, I'd start from scratch and make sure I had full rights to the characters and licensing.

If you actually read things Brett Ratner attached his name to, you could see there was no way he could do everything tied to his name. For him it was a flip of the coin between Youngblood or Harbinger. His name was linked to both. I see a huge difference there, but maybe he wasn't able to see it. I'm sure if you gave him some kind of incentive (financial?), he'd put his name on a Mary Poppins remake.

Regardless, I wish VEI luck in getting to the screen. I'm not sold on what they are doing, but I have friends that like it so good luck to them. Even though I was one of the biggest Valiant fans around in 1992, I really feel that the properties are a bit dated now. I'm not really going to be impressed by ANY new comics until creators at all levels lock themselves into a room and live... breathe... and fully understand what Stan Lee teaches in the "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" video. Stan Lee was a marketing prodigy for comics.

DG

How exactly does having multiple variant covers hurt a book?

Is the average reader going to stop reading a book because there are too many covers?

Does it affect the story in any way?

To me, variant covers are all about generating buzz, whether people buy the variants or not. If someone sees the Harbinger 8 variant sold for $100.00, they might not necessarily buy that variant, but they may check out the series based on the reports of that book selling for a good amount of money since they are wondering what would make someone spend that kind of change on a book that they may. or may not, have heard of.

Also, the kind of publicity that they get from things like their upcoming 8 bit covers is basically free publicity. They also can draw in someone who is maybe a retro gaming fan as well, who picked the books up because they looked cool and happened to read it.

Sure 2 or 3 different covers for each book is a nightmare for completeists, but they are a VERY small portion of the comic buying population. In fact, the majority of the people who buy comics aren't even active, message board participants. They may read CBR or Newsarama once in a while, but they aren't the ones who we are hearing from every day on the internet.

I agree, of all the valiant movie rumors, bloodshot has the most potential, but harbinger can be really cool especially since Harada is such a awesome antagonist.

Not sure I would call them rumors. These are confirmed in the works projects. Whether or not everything lines up is another story.

Just my .02