• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for the Valiant reboot?

634 posts in this topic

Judging by the lack of activity in this thread, the declining sales makes a bit of sense. Lack of exposure?

With the bigger events from Marvel and DC, and the hype Image speculation, I think it's hard to get exposure. That and many collectors may have burned by the Valiant crash and wouldn't read the new books no matter the quality.

Judging by the lack of activity in this thread, the declining sales makes a bit of sense. Lack of exposure?

Sales seem to be on target for the last few months. I certainly dont see a large drop off even with the summer lull

Q&W did pretty well and I bet Unity will do very well.

Id say Valiant is pretty happy with where they are currently for a new company only 1.5 years in.

Sales seem to be on target for the last few months. I certainly dont see a large drop off even with the summer lull

Id say Valiant is pretty happy with where they are currently for a new company only 1.5 years in.

Happy, sure. But the last month's sales numbers are quite a bit alarming. Harbinger dropped 2k from last month, and it's one of the best damn books out there; A&A under 10k. It might not be a big deal, but those kind of 1-month drops raise concerns.

With the bigger events from Marvel and DC, and the hype Image speculation, I think it's hard to get exposure. That and many collectors may have burned by the Valiant crash and wouldn't read the new books no matter the quality.

Which, IMHO, is a stupid reason.

-slym

I've heard some great things about the Valiant titles but there are just an insane amount of other series out right now. I was hoping they would do some deluxe hardcovers collecting this stuff and it looks like the X-O one will be the first one. I plan on picking that up for sure and maybe some of the other hardcovers they put out.

There is no single dedicated thread to post in. I think we are having conversations about the books in four separate threads and then there is a lot of talk on the valiant boards.

You also have to realize that many of us are simply screwing around in Comics General.

I can't explain the decline in sales this last month, but I don't think it is a lack of exposure. I think every site has constant positive reviews for Valiant. It will take time for them to break through. It will be a slow and sometimes painful process, but I think with the quality that Valiant is putting out it shows the dedication they have to making Valiant a long term publisher.

Anyone who is holding back on Valiant because of what happened in the 90's needs to rethink who they are hurting. This is a different company then the one from the 90's. This is a company run by comic fans who constantly do cool things for their fans. Valiant succeeding is good for the overall industry. I only came back into comics because of Valiant. I buy other comics because of Valiant. If Valiant fails what does that say for the industry? This is a publisher that has a built in fan base after being a dead universe for nearly 20 years.

Anyone who is on the fence about whether they should make room on their pull list for Valiant needs to try them out.

Happy, sure. But the last month's sales numbers are quite a bit alarming. Harbinger dropped 2k from last month, and it's one of the best damn books out there; A&A under 10k. It might not be a big deal, but those kind of 1-month drops raise concerns.

The drop in Harbinger does not surprise me. I posted in one of the other Valiant threads that a LCS owner I talked to about the relaunch last week said this was the title he had seen the biggest drop in files for at his store. Remember, even though it started hot the first go round, Harbinger ran for fewer issues than Bloodshot, Turok, and Shadowman, let alone the three big guns - Magnus, Solar and X-O.

I can't explain the decline in sales this last month, but I don't think it is a lack of exposure. I think every site has constant positive reviews for Valiant. It will take time for them to break through. It will be a slow and sometimes painful process, but I think with the quality that Valiant is putting out it shows the dedication they have to making Valiant a long term publisher.

Anyone who is holding back on Valiant because of what happened in the 90's needs to rethink who they are hurting. This is a different company then the one from the 90's. This is a company run by comic fans who constantly do cool things for their fans. Valiant succeeding is good for the overall industry. I only came back into comics because of Valiant. I buy other comics because of Valiant. If Valiant fails what does that say for the industry? This is a publisher that has a built in fan base after being a dead universe for nearly 20 years.

Anyone who is on the fence about whether they should make room on their pull list for Valiant needs to try them out.

If Valiant fails it will not really say anything about the industry other than there was a lack of interest in the properties/creative teams it had to offer. I will be more concerned about the health of the industry if Image starts hitting the skids as they are the bellweather non-big 2 publisher. FWIW, Oni and BOOM seem to be picking up steam right now - at some point there are only so many dollars to go around with the small publishers and the market will decide who stays and who goes.

If Valiant fails it will not really say anything about the industry other than there was a lack of interest in the properties/creative teams it had to offer. I will be more concerned about the health of the industry if Image starts hitting the skids as they are the bellweather non-big 2 publisher. FWIW, Oni and BOOM seem to be picking up steam right now - at some point there are only so many dollars to go around with the small publishers and the market will decide who stays and who goes.

I believe the success Image is experiencing is a game changer for the industry. I think we'll see Image break the 10% barrier in market share this year. If they continue on the path they are on, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take even more market share. As a long time comic reader, I think the variety (i.e. non-superhero) they are bringing to comics is refreshing. I'm more excited about new comics today than I've been in quite a few years.

And all they had to do was let the creators create and market those books. Such a simple concept!

There is no single dedicated thread to post in. I think we are having conversations about the books in four separate threads and then there is a lot of talk on the valiant boards.

You also have to realize that many of us are simply screwing around in Comics General.

That's why I bump this thread periodically. The conversations are spread throughout a few threads, so to assume not having a steady discussion in one means lack of interest would be incorrect.

That's also not to mention that I think many of the Valiant fans stick to the Valiant fan forum.

I am also not worried about the July numbers. Q&W came out and did well and just about every other book I am reading [which is about 100 titles] experienced a loss in July

That's also not to mention that I think many of the Valiant fans stick to the Valiant fan forum.

I am also not worried about the July numbers. Q&W came out and did well and just about every other book I am reading [which is about 100 titles] experienced a loss in July

ValiantBooks201307.jpg

Individual titles broski ;)

Obviously with a new book coming out and hitting roughly 18k the overall sales are up....which is why I said Im sure the Valiant guys are happy.

Lets see if it can continue up before Unity comes out which should give it another big boost.

With how awesome A&A and Harby were [out today] I bet we will see just that!

ValiantBooks201307.jpg

Nice chartage, statistics brohem.

:cloud9:

Just got to this thread now. I've seen the explanation for the reported drop in sales, it makes a lot more sense now.

100 titles, holy christ, are you paid to read?

100 titles, holy christ, are you paid to read?

lol no. I probably could start a pretty good review blog but I prefer to stick to "that was awesome!" or " that was terrible!"

ValiantBooks201307.jpg

Interesting to see the two month drop for Harbinger and A&A. If I recall correctly, those two had the shortest runs of the original series as well. hm

I also am pleasantly surprised at the strength that Shadowman is showing.

While it is great for the company to see the monthly sales numbers tick up as new books are added, it does not appear that any of the books are really increasing in readership outside of maybe X-O. Hopefully this changes with Unity, but I really think they need to start evolving the characters soon or they risk losing whatever momentum they currently have.