• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for the Valiant reboot?

634 posts in this topic

CGC largely ignores the bindery corner issues (the tears at the corners). Magnus 12 is not particularly difficult in grade. They do not ignore spine splits though.

I have not subbed moderns, but I have noticed they will ding my SA and BA books down to 9.6 if the bindery tears are more than tiny. :frustrated:

WRT Magnus #12, I should have said spine splits instead of bindery corners, but I personally consider them the same when grading books - a tiny split/bindery tear has the same effect on a grade IMHO.

I agree with you. It's rare to find a 9.8 in the master set that has one. I sub almost all my own books, and I just don't sub those when I can help it.

just to show you how subconsciously jaded i am 20 years after the valiant collapse (and other than buying a couple of those cool chrome covers for $3.50, i didn't have much invested in valiant...)...I passed over the red unity retailer issue in a dollar box this weekend figuring it was just some overprinted promo item...oops.

I know you are speaking highly of most Valiant comics. I used to own Harbinger #1 with the coupon and Harbinger #0 the pink copy before it became hotter.

However, I didn't see anything hot ever since Harbinger #1. I know Bloodshot #0 Platinum and Pink (Gold) error variants are extremely rare and expensive. X-O Man #0 variant covers are notably selling well.

Any issues that start at #2 are not that well for selling but it is certainly easy to catch up with all ongoing issues at any titles under Valiant and it gets you to complete your collection quickly.

What are the most important Valiant issues? It started my attention.

There are some later issues in a series that have collectible value.

- Eternal Warrior 4: 1st Bloodshot cameo

- Eternal Warrior 5: 2nd full Bloodshot appearance

- Rai 0: 1st full Bloodshot appearance

- Solar 3: 1st Harada

- Solar 10: 1st Eternal Warrior

- X-O Manowar 4: 1st cameo Jack Boniface

- X-O Manowar 19-25: 1st Armorines storyline

- Outcast 1: 1st appearance of The Outcast (sorry - just joking)

And there is so much more.

Most of those books can still be had for 50 cents to a dollar.

If you have any of those books I will buy them off you for double your stated price. (thumbs u

If you don't point me in the direction of where your saw them.

I would but it wouldn't be worth my time to ship a bunch of 50 cent-$1 books...two weeks ago I bought solar 6 and 8 in NM- for a buck a piece. And I was on the fence about it...

And I will gladly post all cheap deals - a few years back on the VF boards of a seller listing Pre-Unities for .99-2.99/each....they ended up selling, but I wasn't the buyer nor was it some of the other hoarders. And they didn't sell nearly as quick as you'd expect.

There's an overwhelming sentiment on the VF boards that everyone wanted to see an increase in price in the books in which they could dump their extras. Releasing the valve at the hoover dam.

I always see one guy chime in that the rarer Valiant books are found for .50 to a 1.00 in today's market. They never seem to have any proof or in this case willing to sell their "Valiant Drek". Tell you what. List me a book that is just about worth your time to ship me and you can throw in those worthless Valiants along with it and I'll add in an extra 10.00 for your trouble. According to your pricing that should be good for 10-20 Valiant books.

If you found those exact issues listed for .50/1.00 I can almost guarantee they are priced based on their condition or it was an anomaly and the comic shop decided not to dig them out of the dollar bins.

I think my argument was less euphemistic, something along the lines of: stupid, retarded, huge waste of money...anyways I could go on.

"What you collect sucks and what I collect rocks."

-slym

You really missed the mark on that one Slym...

You are so right about that! (thumbs u

Please go ahead and send me all of your $.50 high-grade examples of these three books. I'll take them since they don't mean much to you two.

;)

those really aren't 50 cent/$1 box books. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I'm not saying you can't get lucky, I think I got my magnus 12 out of a dollar box (along with a turok 47) within the last 2 years, but i think the shop owner just wasn't paying attention. he would have made the solar 3 and x-o #4 $2-$3.

what do they sell for on ebay? the x-o #4 seems to be a solid $5-$20 book. solar 3, not so much.

i think there's a difference between a book you might luck into in a dollar box and what is typically found there (and doesn't go for much more on ebay, for example)

THIS

I know you are speaking highly of most Valiant comics. I used to own Harbinger #1 with the coupon and Harbinger #0 the pink copy before it became hotter.

However, I didn't see anything hot ever since Harbinger #1. I know Bloodshot #0 Platinum and Pink (Gold) error variants are extremely rare and expensive. X-O Man #0 variant covers are notably selling well.

Any issues that start at #2 are not that well for selling but it is certainly easy to catch up with all ongoing issues at any titles under Valiant and it gets you to complete your collection quickly.

If you have any of those books I will buy them off you for double your stated price. (thumbs u

I would but it wouldn't be worth my time to ship a bunch of 50 cent-$1 books...two weeks ago I bought solar 6 and 8 in NM- for a buck a piece. And I was on the fence about it...

And I will gladly post all cheap deals - a few years back on the VF boards of a seller listing Pre-Unities for .99-2.99/each....they ended up selling, but I wasn't the buyer nor was it some of the other hoarders. And they didn't sell nearly as quick as you'd expect.

There's an overwhelming sentiment on the VF boards that everyone wanted to see an increase in price in the books in which they could dump their extras. Releasing the valve at the hoover dam.

I always see one guy chime in that the rarer Valiant books are found for .50 to a 1.00 in today's market. They never seem to have any proof or in this case willing to sell their "Valiant Drek". Tell you what. List me a book that is just about worth your time to ship me and you can throw in those worthless Valiants along with it and I'll add in an extra 10.00 for your trouble. According to your pricing that should be good for 10-20 Valiant books.

If you found those exact issues listed for .50/1.00 I can almost guarantee they are priced based on their condition or it was an anomaly and the comic shop decided not to dig them out of the dollar bins.

lol when did I ever say a 50 cent book is rare? I didn't know Unity/Post-Unity books were rare...$10-20 is irrelevant, it's the time to go over the books, package them, and ship the books...I will make you a promise since you think I'm blowing smoke. Next June I'll go over all the commons I have and ship them to you for cost (although I don't shipping from Canada would be worth it to you), how's that sound? I'm just busy as hell right now, working a full-time job, writing investment articles, and CFA Level 2....

I think my argument was less euphemistic, something along the lines of: stupid, retarded, huge waste of money...anyways I could go on.

"What you collect sucks and what I collect rocks."

You really missed the mark on that one Slym...

If you are saying that it is "stupid, retarded, a huge waste of money" for someone to buy a comic they want, a comic that other people also want at a similar price (not some one-off weird-Alice sale) then that's how it comes off to me.

:shrug:

-slym

lol when did I ever say a 50 cent book is rare? I didn't know Unity/Post-Unity books were rare...$10-20 is irrelevant, it's the time to go over the books, package them, and ship the books...I will make you a promise since you think I'm blowing smoke. Next June I'll go over all the commons I have and ship them to you for cost (although I don't shipping from Canada would be worth it to you), how's that sound? I'm just busy as hell right now, working a full-time job, writing investment articles, and CFA Level 2....

These are the issues you commented on that are .50 to $1.00

Eternal Warrior 4: 1st Bloodshot cameo

If you are willing to sell them for that price, I'm willing to buy. Send me a list of what else you got along with estimated condition and I will happily look it over and make you an offer.

There are plenty of stores that put out back stock in dollar boxes, bundle them as sets, or just price entire runs of Copper and Modern books at $3 or $4 per book and do not break out the higher $$ books or keys for the simple fact that they just want to blow out the hundreds or thousands of long boxes they have in storage from the 80s and 90s glut. Case in point, one of the LCSs I bin dig at on a regular basis put out a new run of Batman Adventures this summer they pulled from the back for $4 apiece, including a NM or better #12 which I snagged immediately (along with a New Mutants Annual #2 for $2). This is the same store I landed an Uncle Scrooge #179 form a couple of years ago for $1 in the Disney dollar boxes (along with most of the other Whitman pre-pack only issues). If the store employees/owners have to clear out back stock they will inevitably overlook some good stuff in all of the bad. You just have to be patient enough to find them.

Unfortunately, that same store keeps promising to pull out their Valiants but has never gotten around to it. I wonder how much of the big $$$ books they still have left since I cleaned them out a few years back at 3 books for $1 including all of the #1s, early pre-unity, late run, VVSS, Retailer incentive and other books (e.g. Harby #0 pinks). I have seen them in dollar bins or sold as sets at other stores for cheap over the past few years, but since I sold off my last three long boxes a few years back I have not paid much attention to Valiants at the LCSs to be honest.