• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for the Valiant reboot?

634 posts in this topic

You vastly overpaid for the Turok 1.

If the Solar 10 is a 1st print, you did good on that one.

lol

You guys are way too harsh when it comes to Valiant prices.

$1 for a Turok 1 is just fine, as long as it is a high-grade example. Average that out with paying $2 for a Solar 10 first print ($25-$30 in NM), and he did amazingly well.

Solar 10 can routinely be found for less than that on E-Bay if one waits.

A solid NM example? There are plenty that sell from those stating "I am not a professional grader" as these are probably sports collectors that stocked up during the 90s.

But a solid, guaranteed NM - easily $25-$30.

You vastly overpaid for the Turok 1.

If the Solar 10 is a 1st print, you did good on that one.

lol

You guys are way too harsh when it comes to Valiant prices.

$1 for a Turok 1 is just fine, as long as it is a high-grade example. Average that out with paying $2 for a Solar 10 first print ($25-$30 in NM), and he did amazingly well.

Solar 10 can routinely be found for less than that on E-Bay if one waits.

A solid NM example? There are plenty that sell from those stating "I am not a professional grader" as these are probably sports collectors that stocked up during the 90s.

But a solid, guaranteed NM - easily $25-$30.

You might be right about this. Valiant did just release Eternal Warrior 1 a few months back, so that release may have generated some demand for this book. Earlier this year, that book was easily a $15 - $20 book. Guess we'll see where that book lands on the next update of the Valiant Fans price guide.

The older valiants would be worth a lot more if they kept the continuity from the original universe at least for part of the line or something. As it is I have some interest in a few old issues and my interest in the current line is currently down to having runs I need to finish reading but not buying anything new at all. I would pick up a title if they came up with an interesting new character to give it a try but stuff like already doing a Unity book just turns me off.

I think my argument was less euphemistic, something along the lines of: stupid, retarded, huge waste of money...anyways I could go on.

"What you collect sucks and what I collect rocks."

You really missed the mark on that one Slym...

If you are saying that it is "stupid, retarded, a huge waste of money" for someone to buy a comic they want, a comic that other people also want at a similar price (not some one-off weird-Alice sale) then that's how it comes off to me.

:shrug:

-slym

I said paying a premium of 25 times vs a 9.6/9.8 is retarded. Investments must be made with alternatives in mind, and no matter how much you justify the cost (in your mind), valuations have to be made. Holding off, and saving yourself 500-$1000 on that same book (I doubt anything has changed in your mind in terms of need), would have been the smart thing to do....

it's reckless use of money like this that is responsible for the over-leveraged economic mess-show we call the global economy.

I always see one guy chime in that the rarer Valiant books are found for .50 to a 1.00 in today's market. They never seem to have any proof or in this case willing to sell their "Valiant Drek". Tell you what. List me a book that is just about worth your time to ship me and you can throw in those worthless Valiants along with it and I'll add in an extra 10.00 for your trouble. According to your pricing that should be good for 10-20 Valiant books.

If you found those exact issues listed for .50/1.00 I can almost guarantee they are priced based on their condition or it was an anomaly and the comic shop decided not to dig them out of the dollar bins.

There are plenty of stores that put out back stock in dollar boxes, bundle them as sets, or just price entire runs of Copper and Modern books at $3 or $4 per book and do not break out the higher $$ books or keys for the simple fact that they just want to blow out the hundreds or thousands of long boxes they have in storage from the 80s and 90s glut. Case in point, one of the LCSs I bin dig at on a regular basis put out a new run of Batman Adventures this summer they pulled from the back for $4 apiece, including a NM or better #12 which I snagged immediately (along with a New Mutants Annual #2 for $2). This is the same store I landed an Uncle Scrooge #179 form a couple of years ago for $1 in the Disney dollar boxes (along with most of the other Whitman pre-pack only issues). If the store employees/owners have to clear out back stock they will inevitably overlook some good stuff in all of the bad. You just have to be patient enough to find them.

Unfortunately, that same store keeps promising to pull out their Valiants but has never gotten around to it. I wonder how much of the big $$$ books they still have left since I cleaned them out a few years back at 3 books for $1 including all of the #1s, early pre-unity, late run, VVSS, Retailer incentive and other books (e.g. Harby #0 pinks). I have seen them in dollar bins or sold as sets at other stores for cheap over the past few years, but since I sold off my last three long boxes a few years back I have not paid much attention to Valiants at the LCS to be honest.

It wasn't that long ago (within a year) when I was at the LCS and they had a bundle of 20 Rai 0s bundled for $15 or $20 dollars. And this is a large (the largest?) LCS in the Phoenix area. I can believe X-O Manowar 4, 19-25 and Solar 3 are $0.50 fodder as none of these books had huge demand in the past. I would be skeptical about some of the other books however, but after seeing the bundle of Rai 0s, it is possible.

We are coming up on the 25 years rule for the early Valiants. If a few years go by and these earlier key issues don't start rising in price, I'm going to assume they never will. I have entire runs of the early Valiants with many duplicates. Unfortunately, so do many, many other Valiant fans. This was a line of comics that was collected and hoarded early on (and hoarded even more when the line stopped), so it will be interesting to see if there is nostalgia for this line outside the already dedicated fans that managed to stick around through today.

Barring some significant event (like a movie or highly popular syndicated show) I really don't see any significant increase in Valiant prices. There has to organic interest, so far there's been very limited buying of back issues since the relaunch.

Also, the supply is still pretty high, 70,000 for X-O Manowar#1 is very high compared to print runs of today. Would Saga#1 First Print in 9.8 sell for around the $70-80 if the print run was 70k? Furthermore the supply is concentrated, and easily available -VF boards. Any buyer looking to pay market value will have a line of sellers stepping up to offer.

Solar 10 can routinely be found for less than that on E-Bay if one waits. But it is still a great pickup for $2. I agree, Turok is easily worth the $1 for the read alone. And if it is in high-grade, all the better.

-----

huh? I don't think I've ever seen a turok 1 that isn't at least NM and I've seen about 172,000 of them (and most of that was just at my local shop circa 1994...)

but yeah, if we're going to get into "is it a good read for $1?", fine, but there's plenty of valiant stuff that is literally dime box material (including turok 1) that fits that bill....true, most of the image stuff from that period doesn't!

it's worthless because there are 3 copies for every potential reader/collector, not because it is bad

Would Saga#1 First Print in 9.8 sell for around the $70-80 if the print run was 70k?

----------------------------------

Didn't it have a print-run that big? One of my local shops literally had 100 copies on the rack a week after it was released and in my area in general #1 was still on the rack in big numbers when #2 came out. it was heavily ordered around these parts at least.

Solar 10 can routinely be found for less than that on E-Bay if one waits. But it is still a great pickup for $2. I agree, Turok is easily worth the $1 for the read alone. And if it is in high-grade, all the better.

-----

huh? I don't think I've ever seen a turok 1 that isn't at least NM and I've seen about 172,000 of them (and most of that was just at my local shop circa 1994...)

but yeah, if we're going to get into "is it a good read for $1?", fine, but there's plenty of valiant stuff that is literally dime box material (including turok 1) that fits that bill....true, most of the image stuff from that period doesn't!

it's worthless because there are 3 copies for every potential reader/collector, not because it is bad

You know, all I was doing was agreeing with Bosco685, adding that if someone watches and waits on E-Bay, deals routinely show up, and expanding on the "value" the book has for a $1 since it is a good read. Why are some people here always so intent on arguing every minutia of every post they see? (shrug)

Anyway, since this is on the modern boards where people are accustomed to buying new comics which routine are sold for $3 to $4 or more, I thought I'd point out that a comic for a dollar that is a good read is not a bad deal even if several million of them were made. IMHO, the person who bought the Solar 10 and Turok 1 for $2 and $1 respectively got a good deal for two good books and I don't feel the $1 spent on the Turok 1 worthless. I know I've spent more than $1 on disposable entertainment. Someone could do much worse than buying these "worthless" Valiants for $1 each, enjoying the read, and storing them away in their collection.

Why are some people here always so intent on arguing every minutia of every post they see? (shrug)

Not all of us.

:foryou:

I just want to talk about how great these Valiant books are. The money discussion seems to take that off-point, as then all folks want to know is how much they can make off these books.

Barring some significant event (like a movie or highly popular syndicated show) I really don't see any significant increase in Valiant prices. There has to organic interest, so far there's been very limited buying of back issues since the relaunch.

Also, the supply is still pretty high, 70,000 for X-O Manowar#1 is very high compared to print runs of today. Would Saga#1 First Print in 9.8 sell for around the $70-80 if the print run was 70k? Furthermore the supply is concentrated, and easily available -VF boards. Any buyer looking to pay market value will have a line of sellers stepping up to offer.

I am assuming when you say 70k that you are including all of the additonal printings as there certainly wasnt 70k 1st prints [yet I get what you are saying]

I would also like to point out that it is widely known in the Valiant fanbase from multiple interviews that Valiant has in 3-4 movies being hashed out. We know of Shadowman, Bloodshot, and A&A but no mention of the 4th that slipped during an interview

Why are some people here always so intent on arguing every minutia of every post they see? (shrug)

Not all of us.

I just want to talk about how great these Valiant books are. The money discussion seems to take that off-point, as then all folks want to know is how much they can make off these books.

Yep. I just recommend buying one copy for reading or picking up the trades. Not buying because of the lack of a secondary market will leave you [not you Bosco everyone else] surely missing out on a wonderful universe thats being built.

Not all of us.

Yep. I just recommend buying one copy for reading or picking up the trades. Not buying because of the lack of a secondary market will leave you [not you Bosco everyone else] surely missing out on a wonderful universe thats being built.

I get where you are coming from.

These "Ebay sales tracker" threads can be interesting. But when that becomes the hottest thread in an Age area, something gets missed when it comes to having a decent discussion about the stories and characters.

I am assuming when you say 70k that you are including all of the additonal printings as there certainly wasnt 70k 1st prints [yet I get what you are saying]

I would also like to point out that it is widely known in the Valiant fanbase from multiple interviews that Valiant has in 3-4 movies being hashed out. We know of Shadowman, Bloodshot, and A&A but no mention of the 4th that slipped during an interview

If done well i think an X-O movie would be amazing

If done well i think an X-O movie would be amazing

It would be the one with the most widespread built in appeal, IMHO, as X-0 is basically the equivalent of Conan in Iron Man's suit. Tie in the Roman Empire history in flash backs and an alien invasion and you could have a winner.

That being said, as most speculators have learned the hard way this year, nothing is guaranteed with comic TV or movies until it is financed and in production............

Not all of us.

Unfortunately given the history of Valiant, it will always be associated with money. And Greg's board the active topics for a longtime centered around buying and selling activity (with no books for so long, every other topic had been covered to death).

I know, and as much as I'd like to see movies, I would rather they take their time to do them well, they slop together some for quick cash. Even though A&A is the only book not on my pull-list I think it would have the greatest appeal. Harbinger would be a favorite, but I question the feasibility (and cost) of executing Harbinger and X-O successfully.

I know, and as much as I'd like to see movies, I would rather they take their time to do them well, they slop together some for quick cash. Even though A&A is the only book not on my pull-list I think it would have the greatest appeal. Harbinger would be a favorite, but I question the feasibility (and cost) of executing Harbinger and X-O successfully.

I think its safe to say that they will be taking their time on the movies judging by how long they took to put books out

I thought Chronicle was Harbinger when it came out (Ok It was wishful thinking) So that can be done. X-O? Yea that one would be tougher.

I thought Chronicle was Harbinger when it came out (Ok It was wishful thinking) So that can be done. X-O? Yea that one would be tougher.

I thought the same thing. But I would love to see a well-delivered X-O Manowar movie before any other character.

Okay. Not with that guy. But with the same passion of the smartphone QR code.