• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for the Valiant reboot?

634 posts in this topic

I personally love the Valiant reboot. Every title is solid, the universe is growing, and they are really thinking outside of the box when it comes to Variants. My favorite book of the bunch is Harbinger which is funny because I didn't really like the original Harbinger series all that much. I was more of an X-O Manowar, Magnus, and Bloodshot fan.

I would love to see an all-new character receive their own book in the VEI universe, but we need to remember, that these guys are trying to get established in the industry, one that doesn't seem to be all that eager for a return of Valiant, so they need to play on the familiarity with some of these characters in order to garner readers before getting too experimental.

If all they put out were books with all-new creations, then people would be screaming for the original characters. So it is definitely a fine line they need to tread while they get on their feet. I think that the end of this year and the beginning of next will introduce a lot of new characters to the Valiant universe.

I personally love the Valiant reboot. Every title is solid, the universe is growing, and they are really thinking outside of the box when it comes to Variants. My favorite book of the bunch is Harbinger which is funny because I didn't really like the original Harbinger series all that much. I was more of an X-O Manowar, Magnus, and Bloodshot fan.

I would love to see an all-new character receive their own book in the VEI universe, but we need to remember, that these guys are trying to get established in the industry, one that doesn't seem to be all that eager for a return of Valiant, so they need to play on the familiarity with some of these characters in order to garner readers before getting too experimental.

If all they put out were books with all-new creations, then people would be screaming for the original characters. So it is definitely a fine line they need to tread while they get on their feet. I think that the end of this year and the beginning of next will introduce a lot of new characters to the Valiant universe.

Agreed. Comic nerds are whinny bastards.

But I do miss Magnus and Solar. Otherwise I think this new reboot is trucking along at 100%. Loved it so far.

Agreed. Comic nerds are whinny bastards.

But I do miss Magnus and Solar. Otherwise I think this new reboot is trucking along at 100%. Loved it so far.

Have to agree. I do miss old Solar and Magnus.

And even the other day I was rereading Magnus #12, and had to think back to the fun issues that involved Turok. I would love to see the three back under the Valiant umbrella with the right creative team driving them forward.

I guess it comes down to me not being interested in Ninjak and the rest of the newer announced titles so I'd rather have something new offered instead. Ideally they would introduce some new characters in the current books and if they prove popular enough then spin them off like that have the Eternal Warrior, Ninjak etc.

If Unity is a crossover through every book I dont know that I'd bother with it. When the original Unity came out I was already buying everything and that is not the case with the current stuff. Having said that I am buying Bloodshot during the Harbinger Wars crossover so I guess I might be the kind of sucker they are looking for after all.

Having said that I am buying Bloodshot during the Harbinger Wars crossover so I guess I might be the kind of sucker they are looking for after all.

:cloud9:

But you're a Valiant sucker. So that's not bad.

Having said that I am buying Bloodshot during the Harbinger Wars crossover so I guess I might be the kind of sucker they are looking for after all.

:cloud9:

But you're a Valiant sucker. So that's not bad.

The best flavor there is. :cloud9:

I guess it comes down to me not being interested in Ninjak and the rest of the newer announced titles so I'd rather have something new offered instead. Ideally they would introduce some new characters in the current books and if they prove popular enough then spin them off like that have the Eternal Warrior, Ninjak etc.

If Unity is a crossover through every book I dont know that I'd bother with it. When the original Unity came out I was already buying everything and that is not the case with the current stuff. Having said that I am buying Bloodshot during the Harbinger Wars crossover so I guess I might be the kind of sucker they are looking for after all.

Well, they have introduced some new characters in the different stories. None of them have series potential at this point, but you never know what they have in mind for the future of these characters (at least not until CBR has a preview that spoils the whole thing).

One of the coolest things about the old Valiant was the surprise first appearances. I'll never forget Bloodshot kicking down the door at the end of Eternal Warrior #4 and thinking WTF? Issue 5 couldn't come fast enough!

Sadly, I think moments like that are ancient history. At least for those of us who read about comics on the internet.

One of the coolest things about the old Valiant was the surprise first appearances. I'll never forget Bloodshot kicking down the door at the end of Eternal Warrior #4 and thinking WTF? Issue 5 couldn't come fast enough!

I feel the same exact way about how Valiant was slipping in early appearances. It was such a wild and fun time. Eternal Warrior #4 & 5 especially stand out, and are some of my favorites. But later on when I found out Rai #0 goes in-between these books, I had to have one.

Another fun 1st appearance is Turok. That is the highest one on my favorite list. Magnus #12 is a great book, up there with X-O #4 as that one initially slipped by me until Shadowman came out. And that was definitely sneaky marketing, as nothing was even said at first to trigger a buying frenzy.

Fun times!

:luhv:

After posting that Eternal Warrior customized action figure, I had to dig in further about the rest of the Valiant characters.

Man, you really have to be a fan to go for these. And I so want one of each.

SOLAR.jpgXOmanowar.jpg

armstrong.jpgrai.jpg

shadowman.jpgstingharada3.jpg

I recently picked up the trades from the reboot and they're all very good. I was pleasantly surprised. Really liked X-O volume 2, Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong. (thumbs u

Am I the only one who thinks Peter is a whiny brat? I mean, at least Hadara tries and saves these kids, what does Peter do? He and moans about how he feels and no one gave him a hug when he was young. What a waste. :P:grin:

Am I the only one who thinks Peter is a whiny brat? I mean, at least Hadara tries and saves these kids, what does Peter do? He and moans about how he feels and no one gave him a hug when he was young. What a waste. :P:grin:

What issue of Harbinger are you up to?

(#11 and #12 might change your mind.) :whistle: