• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 another series of comic book-based movies

169 posts in this topic

I didn't realize this was a graphic novel.

Oblivion (Release Date: April 19, 2013)

Cast: Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko, Zoe Bell, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Based on the graphic novel of the same name, Joseph Kosinski (TRON: Legacy) brings his visual eye and sci-fi chops to direct Tom Cruise in the sci-fi thriller Oblivion. The world has seemingly been emptied of humanity and while repairing drones, Jack Harper (Cruise) discovers a crashed spaceship with a human survivor that begins to unravel the mystery. We enjoyed Jack Reacher and look forward to meeting Jack Harper.

How did this slip by?

Riddick (Release Date: September 6, 2013)

Cast: Vin Diesel, Katee Sackhoff, Karl Urban, Dave Bautista, Bokeem Woodbine

The unique sci-fi thriller Pitch Black helped launch Vin Diesel's career and earned a big budget sequel in the under-performing Chronicles of Riddick. Years later, writer-director David Twohy and Diesel return to bring the last Furyan to the big screen in a more intimate (and hard R) return to form, in a tale of betrayal and revenge, loaded with darkness, bounty hunters and alien monsters.

Shaun of the Dead fans, watch out!

The World's End (Release Date: October 25, 2013)

Cast: Martin Freeman, Nick Frost, Rosamund Pike, Simon Pegg, Paddy Considine

North American viewers will have to wait a few extra months to see the third installment of the "Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy", the other two being Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but it's worth the wait to see Edgar Wright team with Pegg and Frost yet again. This particular comedy, about a pub crawl turned save-the-planet situation, riffs on the tropes and archetypes of your standard apocalyptic blockbusters.

The-Worlds-End.jpg

Halo-inspired film.

Elysium (Release Date: August 9, 2013)

Cast: Jodie Foster, Matt Damon, Michael Shanks, Sharlto Copley, William Fichtner

After the Halo film project was canned, Neill Blomkamp adapted one of his shorts into the successful District 9. His next project, Elysium, starring Matt Damon, promises to make those behind Halo's demise regret their decisions even more.

elysium-firstposter-full2.jpg

:whee:

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Release Date: November 22, 2013)

Cast: Amanda Plummer, Donald Sutherland, Elizabeth Banks, Jeffrey Wright, Jena Malone, Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Lenny Kravitz, Liam Hemsworth, Lynn Cohen, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Sam Claflin, Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson

Francis Lawrence's sequel promises more action, more excitement, and more elaborate set pieces, as Katniss and Peeta are forced to compete once again, for each other and for District 12.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Release Date: December 13, 2013)

Cast: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Benedict Cumberbatch

Now that moviegoers have been introduced to Peter Jackson's 3D 48fps version of Middle-earth and met young Bilbo and his 13 Dwarven companions, it's time to finally meet the mighty dragon in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. We expect many of the criticisms of An Unexpected Journey to be washed away with part two of the trilogy.

How did this slip by?

The unique sci-fi thriller Pitch Black helped launch Vin Diesel's career and earned a big budget sequel in the under-performing Chronicles of Riddick. Years later, writer-director David Twohy and Diesel return to bring the last Furyan to the big screen in a more intimate (and hard R) return to form, in a tale of betrayal and revenge, loaded with darkness, bounty hunters and alien monsters.

I am really looking forward to this.

I really like the Riddick movies (even the animated movie). So this is going to be high on my list to see.

Great character.

I felt they needed to do another Pitch Black style movie before embarking on a epic like "Chronicles".

Although I enjoyed the movie it just felt like too much and I think that's why it under performed at the box office.

This is why I don't agree with all these people that keep saying the industry is dying. Each year we see more and more quality movies from comic books. The spotlight has been turned on the industry and the films are hitting it out of the park. And with all the attention on Comic Cons, I only see good things coming.

We could be at the apogee right now. And it is all down hill from here. I am not saying we are. Just that it is a possibility.

How did this slip by?

COR Was a bigger flop then DREDD and Vin Diesel is getting a sequel!?

How did this slip by?

I really liked Pitch Black, especially when

it didn't follow predictable Hollywood formula by killing off the strong female lead at the end.

I thought Chronicles was terrible, almost didn't bother watching it to the end. It felt like it was just thrown out there to cash in on the surprisingly compelling character of Riddick that was introduced in Pitch Black.

This newest offering could be really good.

I thought Chronicles was terrible, almost didn't bother watching it to the end. It felt like it was just thrown out there to cash in on the surprisingly compelling character of Riddick that was introduced in Pitch Black.

I can understand the concern. But it had one hell of an ending!

The Creed of the Necromongers tagline "You keep what you kill" definitely leads to a situation they didn't foresee.

Could this drive even more focus on comic book properties to the big screen? It just seems like 2013 is jammed with comic content.

- Bullet to the Head (Release Date: February 1, 2013) - of course out already

- Oblivion (Release Date: April 19, 2013)

- Iron Man 3 (Release Date: May 3, 2013)

- Man of Steel (Release Date: June 14, 2013)

- Kick-AZZ 2 (Release Date: June 28, 2013)

- The Wolverine (Release Date: July 26, 2013)

- R.I.P.D (Release Date: July 19, 2013)

- 300: Rise of an Empire (Release Date: August 2, 2013)

- Red 2 (Release Date: August 2, 2013)

- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Release Date: October 4, 2013)

- Thor: The Dark World (Release Date: November 8, 2013)

I'm not sure if we have had this many movies like this in one year that are based on our hobby's focus.

So far, the scorecard looks like a mixed bag.

- Bullet to the Head (Release Date: February 1, 2013)

IMDB: 6.2/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 47%

- Oblivion (Release Date: April 19, 2013)

IMDB: 7.2/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 56%

- Iron Man 3 (Release Date: May 3, 2013)

IMDB: 7.7/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 78%

If Star Trek: Into Darkness was comic book-based...

IMDB: 8.4/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 87%

Hopefully, June and July delivers as strongly as Star Trek has to date.

:wishluck:

This movie is sounding better and better as we get closer to its release.

Thor-Dark-World-41.png

The film promises a more “viking feel” than the first one, and looking at the theatrical trailer, audiences clearly see a lot more battle sequences and action than the first installment of this franchise.

:applause: