• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant > Marvel > DC

88 posts in this topic

I can't add Image and other companies to the title because they do not have a shared universe like Valiant, Marvel and DC. Valiant is F'in KILLING IT with Harbinger!!!! The hell with speculation. The only thing that the big two has on their side is age and legacy iconic characters (means a lot). If Valiant can keep up this quality there could be trouble ahead. I just don't understand how some people aren't even giving it a shot. I will agree like most that the number of variants is a turn off (just don't by them) but the stories that they are telling is just awesome! This round of Valiant comics puts the original to shame IMO. Sure there are some classic stories but this modernization is just flat out killer. :headbang:

I can't add Image and other companies to the title because they do not have a shared universe like Valiant, Marvel and DC.

No love for invincible's shared universe with savage dragon, witchblade, spawn, etc? Image United? Technically his universe is also shared with spiderman.

I'm just messing with you. I know what you mean with all the independent titles.

I can't add Image and other companies to the title because they do not have a shared universe like Valiant, Marvel and DC. Valiant is F'in KILLING IT with Harbinger!!!! The hell with speculation. The only thing that the big two has on their side is age and legacy iconic characters (means a lot). If Valiant can keep up this quality there could be trouble ahead. I just don't understand how some people aren't even giving it a shot. I will agree like most that the number of variants is a turn off (just don't by them) but the stories that they are telling is just awesome! This round of Valiant comics puts the original to shame IMO. Sure there are some classic stories but this modernization is just flat out killer. :headbang:

Well Said

100% agree

Thanks for the tip. I'll give Harbinger a read and let you know what I think.

Been busy with DC's new 52 (last on your list!) and more recently Image (currently just picked up and reading Glory 23-34 - great stuff!). Revival's next, and then perhaps Mind MTMG, and then I'll pick up and get caught up on Harbinger...

This round of Valiant comics puts the original to shame IMO. Sure there are some classic stories but this modernization is just flat out killer. :headbang:

Another Valiant thread? I'm going to swoon.

swoon.gif

I like the relaunch, but don't really care for Harbinger. X-O is better, A&A is a decent read in a campy/funny way, and Bloodshot is an interesting twist as well. Mind you, I did not like Harbinger the first go round either so that may play a part in it.

Probably sadly because they have already been down this road with this company. Just saying what everyone else is thinking.

[ Just pointing out the mountain they gotta climb.

Getting more than one book to place in the top 150 titles sold each month would help.

Perspective: Today's Valiant wouldn't even show up in Previews' list of top 100 titles of the month.

At under 16,000 copies, last month's best-selling book, X-O, had a print run less than half of the legendary "low print" Rai 3-4 print runs back in the day.

No matter how good the stories, if folks don't start reading soon, the line will die.

I don't know. It goes back and forth on if the new Valiant is going to be successful. To me, after collecting through the first launch and then the purchase by the accursed Acclaim, they seem to be making the right decisions.

It just feels like the market wants to move them along to something much bigger, and some are getting frustrated. Maybe I'm wrong. (shrug)

Is Valiant involved in some financial scheme? (shrug)

======================

CrossGen Bankruptcy

In 2003, CrossGen found itself in a scandal over freelancer payments, exposing systemic financial problems. As this news reached comics fans, sales were affected and creative staff began abandoning the company (including co-founder Gina Villa, Brandon Peterson, and Ron Marz). The root cause for CrossGen's financial collapse has never been publicly disclosed, but some industry observers have noted its difficulties became apparent shortly after the Borders and Barnes & Noble bookstore chains discontinued stocking CrossGen's trade paperback collections and returned huge numbers of unsold books for credit/refund, more than wiping out the publisher's optimistically low reserves against returns.

In late 2003 the company restructured, selling MegaCon to show organizer Elizabeth Widera.