• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant > Marvel > DC

88 posts in this topic

I can't add Image and other companies to the title because they do not have a shared universe like Valiant, Marvel and DC. Valiant is F'in KILLING IT with Harbinger!!!! The hell with speculation. The only thing that the big two has on their side is age and legacy iconic characters (means a lot). If Valiant can keep up this quality there could be trouble ahead. I just don't understand how some people aren't even giving it a shot. I will agree like most that the number of variants is a turn off (just don't by them) but the stories that they are telling is just awesome! This round of Valiant comics puts the original to shame IMO. Sure there are some classic stories but this modernization is just flat out killer. :headbang:

Probably sadly because they have already been down this road with this company. Just saying what everyone else is thinking.

The thing is, it's not even the same company. It's a new company that owns the property. They are doing things the right way and I think that in time they will get things where we want them.

As for the lack of popularity in contrast to the original Valiant line. It's hard to gain a lot of traction with lesser known creators. The original Valiant had guys like Jim Shooter and Barry Windsor-Smith to draw attention to their line.

As for the lack of popularity in contrast to the original Valiant line. It's hard to gain a lot of traction with lesser known creators. The original Valiant had guys like Jim Shooter and Barry Windsor-Smith to draw attention to their line.

Is Cary Nord still on X-O? I wouldn't necessarily call him a lesser known creator at this point. But your point is valid.

I really tried with X-O and Harbinger this time around. Gave both books a try through the first arc and even read the intro issue for Ninjak in X-O. I had to drop em though. They both started out excellent, but both were dragging by issue 3. It was difficult to justify $3.99 a piece for two books that eventually fell to the bottom of my reading pile. I feel guilty saying that, but at the time, as well as now, there is ALOT of good stuff to read being put out by DC, Marvel, and Image. I replaced both of them in my pullbox with Bedlam and Revival, for perspective.

I do hope that the new Valiant stays around for a long, long time though. If cover prices were to dip to $2.99, I might give them a second peek.

I can't add Image and other companies to the title because they do not have a shared universe like Valiant, Marvel and DC. Valiant is F'in KILLING IT with Harbinger!!!! The hell with speculation. The only thing that the big two has on their side is age and legacy iconic characters (means a lot). If Valiant can keep up this quality there could be trouble ahead. I just don't understand how some people aren't even giving it a shot. I will agree like most that the number of variants is a turn off (just don't by them) but the stories that they are telling is just awesome! This round of Valiant comics puts the original to shame IMO. Sure there are some classic stories but this modernization is just flat out killer. :headbang:

My man! Keep spreading the love broski.

Lets be honest here, once the movies start popping up 95% of the haters will jump on board. The back issues will sky rocket with their modest print runs and those that have been there since day one will say......we told you so. Awesome stories, great characters, modest print runs, good publicity, toy lines, and movies = golden.

Anyone that thinks Valiant wont be around in a year or two is totally clueless as to whats going on. Ill check back on this post a year from now [around the time the movie news is in full swing] and give a fresh thumbs up bump.

Give it two years and Valiant 3.0 will go the way of Crossgen

I am with Bosco. What are you basing this off of? Do you not think another company can't be successful in this industry?

It seems the world is stuck in the grip of the big 3.

Plus if its not even a year in and they are allready making a cross over seems to indicate to me they think the books cant stand on their own.

I hope I am wrong but not counting on it

Give it two years and Valiant 3.0 will go the way of Crossgen

I am with Bosco. What are you basing this off of? Do you not think another company can't be successful in this industry?

It seems the world is stuck in the grip of the big 3.

Plus if its not even a year in and they are allready making a cross over seems to indicate to me they think the books cant stand on their own.

I hope I am wrong but not counting on it

Not true. Do you read them? I can't agree with your assessment. These books can more than stand on their own. Valiant is a shared universe and the simple fact that they incorporated Bloodshot with Harbinger is F'in genius. It is no different how they have Wolverine affiliated with the Weapon X program and all of the other books that he is in.

Here is the main problem with most new comic books.

$3.99 That killed it for me real quick on mostly everything.

I can't justify it. Haven't bought new comics in 5 years besides Saga #1.

I am sure I will read the trades once I pick them up for 50% off at conventions.

Yeah the cover prices have me rethinking my purchases constantly. I get carried away and cut back and do it again...I need to just buy them online for a better discount.

Or just wait to buy them in issue lots on eBay a year later which usually translates to 60% off cover prices.

Yeah the cover prices have me rethinking my purchases constantly. I get carried away and cut back and do it again...I need to just buy them online for a better discount.

Or just wait to buy them in issue lots on eBay a year later which usually translates to 60% off cover prices.

And that's the reality of comic book collecting.

:(

I wonder if Valiant could publish comics that are cost-sensitive by having half in printed form, the other half online. So they could charge less for the comic books, and charge a small fee for online subscriptions.

Then at least you get the best of both worlds with digitil content mixed with printed content that can be collected.

Could you point me to lots of pre-Unity RAI comics that I can get for 60% off of cover... ever?

:D

-slym

Here is the main problem with most new comic books.

$3.99 That killed it for me real quick on mostly everything.

I can't justify it. Haven't bought new comics in 5 years besides Saga #1.

I am sure I will read the trades once I pick them up for 50% off at conventions.

Or something like 50% right now on Amazon.com (two regular issues cost $8, these trades with 4 or 5 issues cost $8):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Valiant%20Entertainment%20TP

What Valiant needs is for Barry Windsor-Smith to at least do some covers, then they'd be set

:eek:

Good luck with that...

-slym

I think once Valiant attempted to take legal action against Jim Shooter after the Dark Horse relaunch of Magnus/Solar/Turok, any of the original creators may be turned off to doing anything for the new universe.

But maybe times and expectations may change. And other motivators. :blush:

137007.jpg.cf32c057e63936dd4fdd6667a70fde29.jpg

What Valiant needs is for Barry Windsor-Smith to at least do some covers, then they'd be set

:eek:

Good luck with that...

-slym

I think once Valiant attempted to take legal action against Jim Shooter after the Dark Horse relaunch of Magnus/Solar/Turok, any of the original creators may be turned off to doing anything for the new universe.

But maybe times and expectations may change. And other motivators. :blush:

Why did they do that. Its not like Valiant owned the characters

Why did they do that. Its not like Valiant owned the characters

Jim Shooter was on the Valiant payroll prior to the relaunch. Part of his job was to develop a plan for Magnus/Solar/Turok because Valiant wanted to acquire the licenses at some point. Dark Horse had not produced any new works for those characters, they had only created reprints of Dell/GoldKey. The right to create new stories was a separate licensing issue. There was also a Valiant plan for not having Magnus/Solar/Turok... both contingencies were in place.

Jim Shooter suddenly quit Valiant and went to work for Dark Horse on new stories for Magnus/Solar/Turok, so Valiant had potentially paid Jim Shooter to create product for Dark Horse. Valiant sued Jim Shooter, in part, to make sure the work he had done at Valiant would not be used at Dark Horse.

The lawsuit was eventually dropped.

Sort of lowered my opinion about the guy. I recall a post where he got all steamed that he was asked to stay in the bathroom a few minutes while someone was touring the company as they didn't want to leak that he had started working there. Shooter thought that was lame and pretty much decided to jump ship at that point. I think 90% had to do with ego but that's just my opinion based on nothing really.

The best part about the Jim Shooter Dark Horse relaunch was that--by and large--the books were lame.

It disabused anyone of the notion that Shooter could give the rebooted line the same magic he had in the early 1990s--that Wizard-fueled lightining in a bottle. The failure of his books at Dark Horse cleared the way for the current (more successful) Valiant line, unencumbered by the ghost of a mythologized Shooter.

(Note too that Dark Horse was Shooter's _second_ failed Valiant reboot, after the unfinished Unity 2000.)