• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant > Marvel > DC

88 posts in this topic

I think the BWS part is quite different than the Jim Shooter part...

:(

-slym

Well, in 2012 the new leadership team of Valiant were talking about BWS coming onboard to work on something.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54379

(March 19, 2012)

And in a "What is he talking about?" moment Simons first states that he couldn't mention the first thing he was most excited about, but the second thing he did mention was Barry Windsor-Smith. "I'm a gigantic Barry Windsor-Smith fan and I love ARCHER & ARMSTRONG. We may have something in the pipeline with them."

If anything ever came of this, I never heard of it as that would have been big news.

BWS had some bad feelings about the older VALIANT, not helping was a VF.com board member who possibly...

ah, that is an old story best left forgotten. Sorry.

Anyway, lets hope BWS can move on and if he does end up working with the "new" Valiant, more power to all of them!

-slym

The best part about the Jim Shooter Dark Horse relaunch was that--by and large--the books were lame.

It disabused anyone of the notion that Shooter could give the rebooted line the same magic he had in the early 1990s--that Wizard-fueled lightining in a bottle. The failure of his books at Dark Horse cleared the way for the current (more successful) Valiant line, unencumbered by the ghost of a mythologized Shooter.

(Note too that Dark Horse was Shooter's _second_ failed Valiant reboot, after the unfinished Unity 2000.)

I don't hold Unity 2000 against Shooter. He was hired by Acclaim to KILL his own creation so they could focus on video games and comics that went well with their video games.

It would be like forcing Stan Lee to write the death of Spider-man because Marvel wanted to make him easier to sell to minorities as a half-black, half-mex... oh, never mind. :facepalm:

BWS had some bad feelings about the older VALIANT, not helping was a VF.com board member who possibly...

What? Oh, we need to have a PM conversation about this, as I am not in the loop.

:ohnoez:

Why did they do that. Its not like Valiant owned the characters

Jim Shooter was on the Valiant payroll prior to the relaunch. Part of his job was to develop a plan for Magnus/Solar/Turok because Valiant wanted to acquire the licenses at some point. Dark Horse had not produced any new works for those characters, they had only created reprints of Dell/GoldKey. The right to create new stories was a separate licensing issue. There was also a Valiant plan for not having Magnus/Solar/Turok... both contingencies were in place.

Jim Shooter suddenly quit Valiant and went to work for Dark Horse on new stories for Magnus/Solar/Turok, so Valiant had potentially paid Jim Shooter to create product for Dark Horse. Valiant sued Jim Shooter, in part, to make sure the work he had done at Valiant would not be used at Dark Horse.

The lawsuit was eventually dropped.

Umm!! What you are telling me is that you don't know what he was doing while employed. Hmmm! Okay! I'm out of this thread. Keeping my mouth shut at this point.

Go about your merry discussions.

DG

What? Oh, we need to have a PM conversation about this, as I am not in the loop.

I would like to be included in that PM conversation. hm

Why did they do that. Its not like Valiant owned the characters

Jim Shooter was on the Valiant payroll prior to the relaunch. Part of his job was to develop a plan for Magnus/Solar/Turok because Valiant wanted to acquire the licenses at some point. Dark Horse had not produced any new works for those characters, they had only created reprints of Dell/GoldKey. The right to create new stories was a separate licensing issue. There was also a Valiant plan for not having Magnus/Solar/Turok... both contingencies were in place.

Jim Shooter suddenly quit Valiant and went to work for Dark Horse on new stories for Magnus/Solar/Turok, so Valiant had potentially paid Jim Shooter to create product for Dark Horse. Valiant sued Jim Shooter, in part, to make sure the work he had done at Valiant would not be used at Dark Horse.

The lawsuit was eventually dropped.

Umm!! What you are telling me is that you don't know what he was doing while employed. Hmmm!

I'm not telling you anything. You're a well-established Summer's Eve product.

Okay! I'm out of this thread. Keeping my mouth shut at this point.

DG

We'll hold you to it. Post again in this thread and it's doosh-tastic reply time.

Here's a preview:

Nozzleboy.

Short story... around 2004/2005, a member of the ValiantFans.com messageboard told a representative for BWS that he would like to have copies of Solar #1 signed by BWS to raise money for charity.

This FORMER member, let's call him -J, kept the money. He also made friends on the board and met up in person at conventions who were helping him financially with projects he was working on... not knowing that others were doing the same... and he kept all that money too.

Once he was found out... he was kicked off the board.

Several people were victims of his scams... and having this story told probably just makes him laugh at getting away with it.

The stolen money and items on the messageboard are nothing compared to the unpaid child support his ex-wife deserves. She'd rather live without it than have to look at his face in court.

He was a charmer and very friendly, but a crook... a real-life sociopath... I fear that he's moved on to find other victims.

Okay! I'm out of this thread. Keeping my mouth shut at this point.

DG

We'll hold you to it. Post again in this thread and it's doosh-tastic reply time.

Here's a preview:

Nozzleboy.

Well Greg, he proved you wrong!

:applause:

Short story... around 2004/2005, a member of the ValiantFans.com messageboard told a representative for BWS that he would like to have copies of Solar #1 signed by BWS to raise money for charity.

This FORMER member, let's call him -J, kept the money. He also made friends on the board and met up in person at conventions who were helping him financially with projects he was working on... not knowing that others were doing the same... and he kept all that money too.

Several people were victims of his scams... and having this story told probably just makes him laugh at getting away with it.

The stolen money and items on the messageboard are nothing compared to the unpaid child support his ex-wife deserves. She'd rather live without it than have to look at his face in court.

He was a charmer and very friendly, but a crook... a real-life sociopath... I fear that he's moved on to find other victims.

All apologies for bringing up bad memories.

:sorry:

-slym

All apologies for bringing up bad memories.

:sorry:

-slym

On the contrary, I think it is important to let fans know this happened so that others are aware of it and the same thing doesn't happen again.

I can't add Image and other companies to the title because they do not have a shared universe like Valiant, Marvel and DC. Valiant is F'in KILLING IT with Harbinger!!!! The hell with speculation. The only thing that the big two has on their side is age and legacy iconic characters (means a lot). If Valiant can keep up this quality there could be trouble ahead. I just don't understand how some people aren't even giving it a shot. I will agree like most that the number of variants is a turn off (just don't by them) but the stories that they are telling is just awesome! This round of Valiant comics puts the original to shame IMO. Sure there are some classic stories but this modernization is just flat out killer. :headbang:

"Modernization" is not the same concept as the fundational concept which was the quintessential quality of the Marvel age, i.e. "continuity". DC has never truly had it, so it’s an entirely different matter as well.

If you are thinking about this on a mere commercial level, I do think that Marvel should have valorized its own strength instead of wasting it. And I am quite convinced Jim Shooter has its share of responsibility in this.

I never said "sorry for bringing up the situation."

;)

But this -J character definitely screwed over lots of people, on the forums & IRL. Hopefully he will get his "just desserts" one day.

And no, that is not an implied threat! :P

-slym