• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venting about sellers

23 posts in this topic

It really depends on what the seller paid for the book. If he paid $120 for it for example, And he sells it for $120, and then add say $10 shipping cause it's a CGC book, So the total is now $130 with shipping, then tack on 10% eBay fees, now it's $117, then 3% for paypal, now the price for the seller is $113.10, Then he has to make a trip to the post office and pay $11.20 for priority mail, now he walks away with $101.90 from a book he paid $120.00 for. So for him to go through all that and still walk away with some kind of profit, he might only have had a $5 window.

I think that's why surfer99 was annoyed with this transaction. If the seller only had a $5 window - why even offer the OBO option? It wastes everyone's time - especially the seller's. Whenever I sell BIN with OBO I use auto-reject option for anything below my break-even price. That way when I get any off on a BIN book I know it's a serious buyer - and I rarely counter or reject that offer. I think some sellers who are aware of this option don't use it to reel in buyers at higher prices than they were originally willing to purchase for.

I am curious to see how this works outside of the bay - good luck surfer :popcorn:

It really depends on what the seller paid for the book. If he paid $120 for it for example, And he sells it for $120, and then add say $10 shipping cause it's a CGC book, So the total is now $130 with shipping, then tack on 10% eBay fees, now it's $117, then 3% for paypal, now the price for the seller is $113.10, Then he has to make a trip to the post office and pay $11.20 for priority mail, now he walks away with $101.90 from a book he paid $120.00 for. So for him to go through all that and still walk away with some kind of profit, he might only have had a $5 window.

I think that's why surfer99 was annoyed with this transaction. If the seller only had a $5 window - why even offer the OBO option? It wastes everyone's time - especially the seller's. Whenever I sell BIN with OBO I use auto-reject option for anything below my break-even price. That way when I get any off on a BIN book I know it's a serious buyer - and I rarely counter or reject that offer. I think some sellers who are aware of this option don't use it to reel in buyers at higher prices than they were originally willing to purchase for.

I am curious to see how this works outside of the bay - good luck surfer :popcorn:

Thank you, and you are correct on the point I was trying to make. :grin:

I also like the to use the auto reject for offers that aren't worth considering.

There are a few topics that have come up in this thread that I want to discuss.

First, on the best offers.

I have bought and sold using this system. I don't sell with it too much because I feel I price my books pretty close to what the market seems to be asking for them. But, I will entertain all offers, even if someone emails me when I don't have a best offer listed. I don't accept all offers, but I do consider them.

When buying, If the seller comes down at all off his original asking price, then he is negotiating. Just because it's not how much you wanted him to come down, doesn't negate the fact that there is a negotiation going on. This is regardless of how much the asking price was.

What does irritate me, is when someone has a Best offer option and just declines it outright with no counter. Of course it's called best offer, not best negotiation so I guess I can't be too upset.

As for the creators who get upset because others make too much money off them?

Boohoo! Especially in the case of SS books. Although it may happen, I don't know many SS books are done without the seller charging for his autograph. The seller sets that price so it's his fault. Also, a lot of times the big $$$ depends on the book being signed and the condition. A signed Jim Lee X-men #1 would have a different price than a signed Jim Lee 268. The condition effects it etc.

Like a previous poster mentioned, they could go around and buy up high-grade copies of the key books the worked on and pay to have a CGC rep come over to their house and verify their signature and start their own side business. Plus, we already profit off their work when their $3.99 book goes up to $25.00 and we sell it then.

As for no international shipping. I don't understand it myself. Everybody hears horror stories about international shipping and, in my experience, they just aren't true. I have had more issues with domestic shipping than international. (granted my domestic orders are probably 3:1 my international, but it's still a higher %) I just think sellers who don't ship international cut off their nose to spite their face.

But that's just my opinion.