• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

‘Holy Grail’ of video games valued at $38,000 bought at Goodwill for $8

78 posts in this topic

b1nU56J.png

Who made this chart?

UNICEF spends $0.90+ from every dollar on the services they exist to provide.

Less than $0.10 of every dollar goes to administrative costs and fundraising efforts.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4617'>http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4617

Most of the charities listed have LOCAL chapters, unrelated to the claims made in this chart.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Let's spread unfounded rumors that charities don't do anything...

because that's what it means to be truly charitable.

A poorly created chart with poorly worded statements comes from a poorly functioning head.

Abraham-lincoln-internet-quote1_zps346e737a.png

b1nU56J.png

Who made this chart?

Less than $0.10 of every dollar goes to administrative costs and fundraising efforts.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4617'>http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4617

Most of the charities listed have LOCAL chapters, unrelated to the claims made in this chart.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Let's spread unfounded rumors that charities don't do anything...

because that's what it means to be truly charitable.

A poorly created chart with poorly worded statements comes from a poorly functioning head.

Abraham-lincoln-internet-quote1_zps346e737a.png

No kidding... let's post anything we can find that's full of lies and makes others look bad without doing any research at all because you know ... it's what Jesus would do. :foryou:

(Jesus Garcia, of course... that sneaky prankster. Who did you think I meant?)

it's what Jesus would do. :foryou:

(Jesus Garcia, of course... that sneaky prankster. Who did you think I meant?)

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were talking about that fictional character from the best selling book of all time.............The Walking Dead.

The journalist that wrote $38k should be embarassed, its valuable but nowhere near that valuable. It would have to be sealed and mint to get that price, and this is opened not sealed.

As I posted in the 'all purpose video game thread', a copy of the cartridge with a torn box sold for $11,500 within the last month on ebay. That's the most recent point.

This copy (NOT the copy pictured, which incidentally belongs to me) that is currently for sale is up on gamegavel at a starting bid of $12,000, and has one bid last I checked.

Its very tough to say what it will go for, but we are talking some number between 12 and 20k, certainly not 38k.

Regardless, a mighty fine 7.99 purchase.

If I read right, the game was loose with no box.

Who made this chart?

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4617

Note that's the United States Fund for UNICEF.

The sub-division run directly by the USA.

The big organization is run by the UN.

From wiki:

"The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF; pron.: /ˈuːnɨsɛf/ YEW-ni-sef)[1] is a United Nations Programme headquartered in New York City, that provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries. It is one of the members of the United Nations Development Group and its Executive Committee.[2]

UNICEF was created by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 1946, to provide emergency food and healthcare to children in countries that had been devastated by World War II. In 1954, UNICEF became a permanent part of the United Nations System and its name was shortened from the original United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund but it has continued to be known by the popular acronym based on this old name."

They have been plagued with scandal, fraud, and abuse for a long time.

Think "Oil for Food" to understand how the UN runs a relief program. doh!

German Charity's Mounting Woes: UNICEF Loses Vital Seal of Approval

Unicef staff 'misappropriate' more than $1m

And if it's not money it's something else:

June 25, 1987 <--- way back

CHILD SEX SCANDAL ROILS UNICEF UNIT

This is the fundamental problem with large organizations. There's always some good being done somewhere in it so people turn a blind eye to the bad things.

This is the fundamental problem with large organizations. There's always some good being done somewhere in it so people turn a blind eye to the bad things.

I'm with you... let's shut UNICEF down... right AFTER permanently closing the doors of the Catholic Church. :acclaim:

(We've really got to get that Jesus Garcia.)

I'm with you... let's shut UNICEF down... right AFTER permanently closing the doors of the Catholic Church. :acclaim:

(We've really got to get that Jesus Garcia.)

One can leave the Roman Catholic Church or any other Church.

We are forced to pay taxes to support the UN.

Anyways I'm done here.

Commenting upon this is borderline political I suppose.

I don't want a fanny slap.

:slapfight:

The journalist that wrote $38k should be embarassed, its valuable but nowhere near that valuable. It would have to be sealed and mint to get that price, and this is opened not sealed.

As I posted in the 'all purpose video game thread', a copy of the cartridge with a torn box sold for $11,500 within the last month on ebay. That's the most recent point.

This copy (NOT the copy pictured, which incidentally belongs to me) that is currently for sale is up on gamegavel at a starting bid of $12,000, and has one bid last I checked.

Its very tough to say what it will go for, but we are talking some number between 12 and 20k, certainly not 38k.

If I read right, the game was loose with no box. [/quote

you are not reading it right.

hi joseph, no, that's inaccurate, its in excellent condition complete with box and manual, I've seen pictures of it.

How much would you value your copy at? I know you like games and it's facinating to see collectibles like this but to most people it looks like junk (not to say it is of course, just what most people would say).

25k maybe? Its tough to say. You don't really know til you sell it

Do you own it because you like the game or because you like having the rarest game? Just curious as to why you own it.

hi joseph, no, that's inaccurate, its in excellent condition complete with box and manual, I've seen pictures of it.

You're right, I went back to reread and he was simply stating it wasn't factory sealed.

The lesson to be learned here is that not everything posted on the Internet is necessarily accurate. Do your own research kiddies....

That's not actually the lesson.

The lesson is that POSTING something on the internet makes you either the author or the accomplice.

Whether you create a lie or just xerox it... you're still spreading it.

Why should 1,000 people have to do the same research about a "xerox post" when all it took was 1 to research before copying it in the first place?

How much would you value your copy at? I know you like games and it's facinating to see collectibles like this but to most people it looks like junk (not to say it is of course, just what most people would say).

Do you own it because you like the game or because you like having the rarest game? Just curious as to why you own it.

Well, there are several reasons I appreciate it.

- Even if I didn't know the release date I could date it just from looking at the box the same way I can look at a marvel and basically know if its a 1962, 63, 65 just by looking at it, and that 1987 year was a great time full of terrific releases.

- the backstory

- the rarity as you said

- I appreciate the bandai set and like collecting all of the mini subsets from the early publishers that were created with those uniform template looks. You'll notice those first five bandais have a large screenshot, line art figure lower left, gradient black or white to grey box,etc.

As for why I bought it in the first place, well, I was putting together, or trying to put together, a complete set of factory sealed NES titles at the time. I lost interest in the unlicensed chunk so I sold those off but I have almost everything in the licensed set, which are the ones most people, myself included, care about.

So if this were silver age marvels we were talking about, well, I like collecting most all of 'em :) although this would be noteworthy for its place in history the same way a rare early book (say detective 1) would be noteworthy to a comic collector. Part of the reason we give a dam about certain things is because of the context.

For example, if superman 1 was a 1946 book it would be drastically less valuable. But it's not, its a 1939 book, and that makes a huge difference to its look, its rarity, and its value. So too here. Even if I wasn't trying to get all the licensed releases and wasn't interested in some of the drek, I'd still want everything released up to, oh, mid 1988 or so, just because they were on the ground floor. A common with poor gameplay from 1991 has pretty much no redeeming qualities so I could live without those types of titles. But the early ones have a little special magic even when they aren't great games, due to their context.

Well, there are several reasons I appreciate it.

- Even if I didn't know the release date I could date it just from looking at the box the same way I can look at a marvel and basically know if its a 1962, 63, 65 just by looking at it, and that 1987 year was a great time full of terrific releases.

- the backstory

- the rarity as you said

- I appreciate the bandai set and like collecting all of the mini subsets from the early publishers that were created with those uniform template looks. You'll notice those first five bandais have a large screenshot, line art figure lower left, gradient black or white to grey box,etc.

As for why I bought it in the first place, well, I was putting together, or trying to put together, a complete set of factory sealed NES titles at the time. I lost interest in the unlicensed chunk so I sold those off but I have almost everything in the licensed set, which are the ones most people, myself included, care about.

So if this were silver age marvels we were talking about, well, I like collecting most all of 'em :) although this would be noteworthy for its place in history the same way a rare early book (say detective 1) would be noteworthy to a comic collector. Part of the reason we give a dam about certain things is because of the context.

For example, if superman 1 was a 1946 book it would be drastically less valuable. But it's not, its a 1939 book, and that makes a huge difference to its look, its rarity, and its value. So too here. Even if I wasn't trying to get all the licensed releases and wasn't interested in some of the drek, I'd still want everything released up to, oh, mid 1988 or so, just because they were on the ground floor. A common with poor gameplay from 1991 has pretty much no redeeming qualities so I could live without those types of titles. But the early ones have a little special magic even when they aren't great games, due to their context.

:applause:

I just appreciated the accurate description of what draws us to collect certain things.

If I'm correct, an Atari 2600 game called Air Raid with box and instruction manual has sold the most. Yes you hear about what a game was bid up to, but sometimes the bidders didn't pay. I think Air Raid went for the most and the deal actually went through. It was earlier this year I believe, I'd have to check the atariage forums.

Well, its a bit complicated.

There was a $41,300 stadium events sealed (nicer condition than mine for sure) auction a few years back. There's no doubt that auction didn't complete. But, the owner found it for 25c at a garage sale (seriously) and just wanted cash. So what happened to it and why has it never surfaced. A friend of mine emailed the seller a couple weeks after the auction ended offering 30k and never even got an email back. If you found something for a quarter and somebody offers you 30k, I'm pretty sure you send an email back unless you've already sold it elsewhere. Maybe one of the underbidders? There were three or four bidders between 39k and 41k.

Truth is, its a bit of a mystery as to whether it sold or not.

The air raid sold at 31k. The first one. This was a cart and a box and it was the first box found. It was assumed no manual existed. There is one guy with pretty big bucks that it was assumed would, and did, win it.

Then another boxed copy was found and without that bidder in play (I think its fair to say the atari market is thinner than the nintendo market) the price plummeted down to 13k. Then, a third copy was found, this time with a manual (the first manual known to exist). IIRC that put daddy warbucks back in play and it went around 30k.

So yeah, it got 30k or so twice, but only because both of those auctions had a never before seen component for sale. The one auction without that claim to fame did far worse and I don't believe another copy if found would go more than 20k (speculating).

Now these are all public sales. But there have been several private sales in excess of the air raid amounts. I sold one myself for 41,301 (demanded $1 more than the record ;) ). (ugh, have to pay taxes on that shortly).

And a buddy sold one for low six figures. (buyer hugely overpaid though).