• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGA !?!

80 posts in this topic

I've got about ten CGGs left to sell. I'm gonna get those out the door quick on Ebay. Pretty soon, among all their other PR concerns, the old CGG labels are gonna look like dinosaurs and nobody is gonna want an old label, especially one with a now defunct name.

Some people don't even want to buy a book with an old CGC label. Image does count with some people.

I know that some of you (whether you'll admit it or not) do have a few CGG graded books. Does this name change make you feel anything differently about those slabs? In a year when no one will even remember CGG? Like I said, the ten or so I have left are going. No big deal since they are not my focus books anyway. Bubbye CGG. -------Sid

I know that some of you (whether you'll admit it or not) do have a few CGG graded books. Does this name change make you feel anything differently about those slabs? -------Sid

I'm going to send 'em all into PGA to get re-slabbed with the new label. insane.gifinsane.gifstooges.gif

I have 6 or 7 CGG slabs. Doesn't matter to me. I was thinking about cracking some of them anyway. Slabs take up too much space.

I've got about ten CGGs left to sell. I'm gonna get those out the door quick on Ebay. Pretty soon, among all their other PR concerns, the old CGG labels are gonna look like dinosaurs and nobody is gonna want an old label, especially one with a now defunct name.

What do you have left. tongue.gif

Actually, I go my first CGG book last week. Basically, it was a book that I got for 1/2 of what a CGC copy (in the same grade) sold for about two months ago, and the book does not come up for sale very often.

Obviously, the big fear with CGG / PGA is how good is their restoration detection?

That said, I would easily pay more money for a CGG book than an unslabbed book anyday. And I would pay more for a CGC book than a CGG anyday.

smirk.gif

That said, I would easily pay more money for a CGG book than an unslabbed book anyday. And I would pay more for a CGC book than a CGG anyday.

smirk.gif

Perfect quote. Thanks for summing that up. Back "in the day" when I was a huge CGG supporter it really was only for that reason you stated above. That is a reason to support both companies actually, and what you stated, for the most part is fact, generally speaking. That's why I have sent my best to CGC, and my second tier to CGG, although I have used CGG very little in the last six months. I may put one order together to try out "the new" CGG/PGA or whatever you call it, and even that is to only give a certain number of books a chance to sell for more than raw. It appears to be an allright method for slabbing a select number of books quickly and cheaply while waiting for the better ones to come back from CGC.-----Sid

I'm surprised no one pointed out that although the former CGG referred to themselves as "CGGroup" in this explanation, the fact is... no one else really did. At least not enough to make the point that they were better known as "CGGroup" in the marketplace. They were certainly "CGG" whenever I noticed. The auction titles I saw always said "CGG" too.

I assume the concern here was the possible confusion regarding either services identity on the part of the consumer. The one with the superior reputation obviously would not care to be "mis-identified" as the other company... particularly concerning online sales (eBay) where both experienced and "inexperienced" buyers exist. Its pretty easy to see how some wrongly assume CGG is CGC... or vice versa.

I'm guessing that if they were named "CG(anything else but G)" that there would not have been any action by CGC? I'm supposing its the fact that the "G", being so similar to a "C" after "CG" (viewed in 9-10 pt. type often) is obviously very easy to mis-identify whether that was intentional or not.

Even people on the forum, when discussing the 2 groups as "CGC" and "CGG" have mentioned that they have made mistakes (lost track) determining which company was which in various discussions.

Now that there's a drastic difference in the name, it will be much easier for the consumer to see the difference. That's a good thing for everyone and a inexpensive resolve for PGA. Just a little printing and a label change.

Good point Bruce. As I have sold CGC and CGG on Ebay, I have even had buyers e-mail me asking me when the CGC book they just bought (having bought a CGG book) was going to be shipped. I hope they were able to figure out the difference on their own without blaming me for some kind of "switcheroo". Luckily no one yet has complained. Maybe these were just typos. confused-smiley-013.gif

On another point. Concerning the PGA statement about "Flinging Poo" for a 5% discount? Well, Daniel, I'm sure you are reading this, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!??" When I read this above I thought that the whole thing was a joke. There is no way some up and coming business trying to gain some respect would use juvenile language like this. But then I saw it on the website. Holy Sheet. You should change that ASAP. It looks ridiculous and VERY unprofessional. Not a good way to change things around for the better. ----Sid

On another point. Concerning the PGA statement about "Flinging Poo" for a 5% discount? Well, Daniel, I'm sure you are reading this, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!??" When I read this above I thought that the whole thing was a joke. There is no way some up and coming business trying to gain some respect would use juvenile language like this. But then I saw it on the website. Holy Sheet. You should change that ASAP. It looks ridiculous and VERY unprofessional. Not a good way to change things around for the better. ----Sid

he's trying to save face. boo.gif

Now that there's a drastic difference in the name, it will be much easier for the consumer to see the difference. That's a good thing for everyone and a inexpensive resolve for PGA. Just a little printing and a label change.

Somehow I doubt it's that simple. From everything that has been said in the past, there are clearly patent violations on the part of CGG/PGA for their holder. From the press release it appears CGG/PGA has teamed with bladewave in developing a new patent pending holder.

It will be interesting to see what develops of this.

Now if PGA will just make sure to use an archival quality material in their inner well, that wouls make their product much better. Also, if they would clear up some q's about the qualifications of their resto guy. If they do that, then they have a great shot at competing with CGC in the prograding marketpalce. I sure hope thay do, and this is coming from a person who own no pro graded book. Although I am working on getting some books ready to send.

Now if PGA will just make sure to use an archival quality material in their inner well, that wouls make their product much better.

Lipstick on a pig, my friend. Lipstick on a pig. 893naughty-thumb.gif