• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

IMHO, when you have a favorite character, the Human Torch in Robot Maniacs case, you become so well acquainted with the way that character looks, you become so familiar with the characteristics, facial complex, and yes, skin color, that you actually prefer it. I wouldn't want a white woman to play Storm. I wouldn't want an Asian guy to play Thunderbird. Im just so accustomed to what I think "should be" it makes me slightly uncomfortable when I see a variation of what im already used to. It has nothing to do with racism, it has everything to do with not straying away from my preconceived ideas.

Just to prove that it's not about racism, I would much rather have a black guy that can act, play a white character than a white guy who cant act worth , play a white character.

But that isn't what Cracked (or some people here, I imagine) thinks.

:(

-slym

I'm sure there are people for whom the race is an issue though frankly I don't see any of them in this thread. What I do see are some people who are 1) twisting things to suit some agenda or 2) looking for things to get butthurt over.

"Also, making Sue taller and changing Reed's hair color don't sound that weird to us because, you know, they're fictional people. That's like being upset when January Jones got cast as the White Queen despite her skin not actually being made of diamond."

lol

Yeah,that one made me laugh too lol

Also,Cracked.com isn't a site to take seriously (most of what they post isn't really all that serious lol )

"Also, making Sue taller and changing Reed's hair color don't sound that weird to us because, you know, they're fictional people. That's like being upset when January Jones got cast as the White Queen despite her skin not actually being made of diamond."

lol

Yeah,that one made me laugh too lol

Also,Cracked.com isn't a site to take seriously (most of what they post isn't really all that serious lol )

Indeed.

Comic books - they should be taken seriously. :sumo:

Indeed.

Comic books - they should be taken seriously. :sumo:

lol

tumblr_lus5j6Q1Ap1qhpx45o1_250.jpg

Good old Wonder Pets to the rescue!

As long as they don't change the fur to green and gave him a top hat.

lol

It's such an easy thing to do...cop out that is.

Wait. You were serious with the eye-rolling?

No cop out here with discussing the topic. I just assumed you were kidding around.

lol

It's such an easy thing to do...cop out that is.

Wait. You were serious with the eye-rolling?

No cop out here with discussing the topic. I just assumed you were kidding around.

It's a little annoying when you're in a debate and someone essentially says " c'mon guy, it's just comic books, who cares"?

I like when they keep the characters as they are in the comics. I wouldn't want to see a white Luke Cage either. I don't think the OP was being racist but just wanted characters as they are in comics.

I like when they keep the characters as they are in the comics. I wouldn't want to see a white Luke Cage either. I don't think the OP was being racist but just wanted characters as they are in comics.

I agree 100%. What saddens me is seeing alleged comic book fans not caring and even going so far as to jump through an elaborate series of hoops to justify the changes.

The average moviegoer doesn't care and shouldn't be expected to care because their knowledge of the characters is limited to little to none. A lot of the people who should care just seem to be happy enough to accept the dross H'Wood keeps chruning out.

It's all about the opening weekend box-office numbers, seemingly.

-slym

An interesting quote from John Byrne on this subject:

"We" don't matter. Casting in Hollywood is done with two things in mind: the cash register + who's available.

Bob McAuthor might have written a character specifically with, say, Clint Eastwood in mind. Everything about the character is tailored to Eastwood's particular skill set. But if Eastwood is not available, and, say, Peter Dinklage is burning hot at the box office at just this moment, then we'll get Peter Dinklage, and we'll get the makers of the movie telling us why he is PERFECT in the role.

Worse, we may even get Bob McAuthor telling us Dinklage is perfect, too. That his very specific Eastwoodian description of the character was "just a metaphor".

Sad fact is, if casting an albino woman with no legs as Johnny Storm would get ONE MORE PERSON into the theater, there would be Hollywood executives who would give it serious consideration."