• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

He could be an adopted brother of Sue Storm.

That isn't really the Fantastic Four then is it?

Im confused by this statement.

Both my sister and I were adopted. Doesn't make us any less of a family.

(I could honestly care less what these movies do as long as I get some kind of enjoyment out of them.)

Not to mention regardless of lineage, four = four.

lol you should have let this die.

It is a spectrum. You have the die hards who demand fidelity at one end and those who don't care as long as it is a good movie at the other.

I find the fidelity argument hard to stomach unless it is a radical form, that insists not only on maintaining race but also all other trivial attributes like height, weight, eye color.

For me race and even if they are a biological family does not matter.

It is enough that source material I love is going to be reproduced on the big screen. Even if some elements, like race, are lost.

I don’t love the source material because Sue Storm is white; I love the sense of adventure, the sci-fi tech and the memories. These attributes should translate regardless.

Ah yes, you again. Your argument is silly on it's face and I should not have to explain why. As a comic book fan you should know this.

I'm a comic book fan. I've been reading comics since 1969.

Please explain it to me, as I can't find a real fault with his argument? (shrug)

(I could honestly care less what these movies do as long as I get some kind of enjoyment out of them.)

It is a spectrum. You have the die hards who demand fidelity at one end and those who don't care as long as it is a good movie at the other.

I find the fidelity argument hard to stomach unless it is a radical form, that insists not only on maintaining race but also all other trivial attributes like height, weight, eye color.

It is enough that source material I love is going to be reproduced on the big screen. Even if some elements, like race, are lost.

I don’t love the source material because Sue Storm is white; I love the sense of adventure, the sci-fi tech and the memories. These attributes should translate regardless.

Ah yes, you again. Your argument is silly on it's face and I should not have to explain why. As a comic book fan you should know this.

Please explain it to me, as I can't find a real fault with his argument? (shrug)

:popcorn:

"Thor - Norse god - He's got to be Scandinavian I think? "

Is Heimdall Scandinavian? Apparently the movie makers didn't think so.

Only the noble lines were Norse gods.

Not every citizen of Asgard is a Norse god.

Or would Volstagg be the god of.... gluttony? :insane:

An Aesir shapeshifter.

That's why his look in the movie works fine for me. (thumbs u

An Aesir shapeshifter? Is that something they did in the modern comics, because that is not what he was originally based on?

Falstaff

I'm talking about Heimdall.

Heindall was always a god in Norse mythology.

In Norse mythology, Heimdallr is a god who possesses the resounding horn Gjallarhorn, owns the golden-maned horse Gulltoppr, has gold teeth, and is the son of Nine Mothers. Heimdallr is attested as possessing foreknowledge, keen eyesight and hearing, is described as "the whitest of the gods", and keeps watch for the onset of Ragnarök while drinking fine mead in his dwelling Himinbjörg, located where the burning rainbow bridge Bifröst meets heaven.

Did Marvel change this and alter his origin where he was something other than a Norse god? I ask because I didn't realize this.

Oh, and just to be picky, picky, picky...

Regarding the actual mythology, Heimdallr was one of the Aesir and his father - like many of the Norse gods - was Odin. But he had nine mums.

Go figure...

You want me to explain why I feel that characters that have been portrayed a certain way for over 50 years should continue to be portrayed that way? Seriously?

You want me to explain why I feel that characters that have been portrayed a certain way for over 50 years should continue to be portrayed that way? Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

Because they haven't been portrayed a certain way for over 50 years. They have been tinkered with continually by writer after writer, changed to suit personal agendas or changing times, so I see no problem with a film-maker wanting to do the same thing.

Furthermore, slavish devotion to the source material is lazy, uninspired and also potentially ruinous.

Imagine Sue Storm being portrayed on the screen the way Lee & Kirby portrayed her in their classic run. Imagine Luke Cage in a bright yellow silk shirt open to his navel using jive speak. Imagine Thor in his original costume with January Jones hair. Imagine Superman being spanked by Lois Lane. Imagine Batmite taking care of Bane in DKR.

These are creations that have been continually mutable within their original media, so there is zero reason why they can't be changed for film. Hell, given what can and cannot come across on screen as believable, I'd say that certain changes have to be made.

So tell me why that isn't the case? (shrug)

Yes, seriously.

Because they haven't been portrayed a certain way for over 50 years. They have been tinkered with continually by writer after writer, changed to suit personal agendas or changing times, so I see no problem with a film-maker wanting to do the same thing.

Furthermore, slavish devotion to the source material is lazy, uninspired and also potentially ruinous.

Imagine Sue Storm being portrayed on the screen the way Lee & Kirby portrayed her in their classic run. Imagine Luke Cage in a bright yellow silk shirt open to his navel using jive speak. Imagine Thor in his original costume with January Jones hair. Imagine Superman being spanked by Lois Lane. Imagine Batmite taking care of Bane in DKR.

These are creations that have been continually mutable within their original media, so there is zero reason why they can't be changed for film. Hell, given what can and cannot come across on screen as believable, I'd say that certain changes have to be made.

Why don't you tell me why changing the race / sex of a character that's been around for 50+ years is a positive thing.

I do not mean any offense but you sound like one of those guys who probably should've given up reading superhero comics a long, long time ago.

But I will add that you pack comics for shipping very well.

I can't see how changing a costume or hairstyle is anywhere near the same as changing the race of a character.

I can't see how changing a costume or hairstyle is anywhere near the same as changing the age of a character (Rogue in the X-Men.)

I can't see how changing a costume or hairstyle is anywhere near the same as grossly changing the physical appearance of a character (Logan/Wolverine & Tony Stark immediately come to mind.)

Personally, I would watch Lois Lane spank Superman, but I am a bit of a perv, so...

:D

-slym (the above is his personal opinion, and knows many do not share it) ;)

Yes, seriously.

Why don't you tell me why changing the race / sex of a character that's been around for 50+ years is a positive thing.

I do not mean any offense but you sound like one of those guys who probably should've given up reading superhero comics a long, long time ago.

But I will add that you pack comics for shipping very well.

What does that mean? Really, what does it mean?

Are you saying that because I don't agree with your personal preferences, I should no longer be reading comics? ???

Marvel characters haven't been portrayed consistently throughout the years. Not even close.

Back in my early reading days, there was a character named Senator Byrd who wanted Tony Stark to divulge the secret of the Iron Man armor and name who Iron Man really was.

Tony refused, believing the government had no right to demand this of him. This was an ongoing subplot in Tales of Suspense for years.

Years later, in Marvel's Civil War crossover event, Tony is spearheading an agenda to have the Marvel heroes reveal their identities and register with the government. Some heroes are even killed resisting this action.

One example of many.

Sometimes I don't even recognize a current Marvel character that I grew up with in the '60s due to the way he is portrayed. Many have been radically changed.