• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

...by casting a black Human Torch.

Honestly, just let the rights go back to Marvel...PLEASE.

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Because the original story still works? I'd much rather have a retelling of FF than see another movie which tries to shovel that idiotic rubbish about a brother, sister, her soon-to-be-boyfriend, and his college roommate being shot into space.

We saw this same veiled racism when they announced Jessica Alba was going to be the Invisible Woman in the previous films... and it only got worse when they dyed her hair blond.

This is a sad, gross conversation to me.

Have you seen The Incredibles?

I have... what's your point?

Wow, is that an act?

Oh man!

You wait until CGCMOD22.5 shows up. That video is gone!

I guess he does curse a little.... But it is very apt video considering it is made by a comic book writer about a comic book panel.

And the thing is on youtube....

:gossip: I posted it here a few weeks ago when the discussion focused too much on skin color.

Oh man!

You wait until CGCMOD22.5 shows up. That video is gone!

I guess he does curse a little.... But it is very apt video considering it is made by a comic book writer about a comic book panel.

And the thing is on youtube....

:gossip: I posted it here a few weeks ago when the discussion focused too much on skin color.

I figured someone had to have come up with it already.

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Because the original story still works? I'd much rather have a retelling of FF than see another movie which tries to shovel that idiotic rubbish about a brother, sister, her soon-to-be-boyfriend, and his college roommate being shot into space.

We saw this same veiled racism when they announced Jessica Alba was going to be the Invisible Woman in the previous films... and it only got worse when they dyed her hair blond.

Wow, is that an act?

So, you have no point? Are you presuming that the mere existence of "The Incredibles" somehow validates a point you have yet to make?

sw50sw8sw578.gif
No it's not.

Johnny Storm is Caucasian.

The Kingpin is Caucasian.

Nick Fury is Caucasian.

Electro is Caucasian.

Studios feeling the need to cram diversity down our throats is racist. There are many other hero's who are African-American that I would love to see, The Panther, The Falcon.

Sorry rantrant over

I don't think for a second this is some sort of affirmative action thing. Just pick the best man for the job. I'm color blind when it comes to casting as long as the choice is good.

+1 to you Kramerica

With what I've read about Stan, Jack and Steve, is that if they created the Marvel universe now, there would be more racial diversity in the characters, just like the movies are doing.

It just wasn't prudent back in the '60s.

If we really want to stay true to the start of the Marvel universe, almost half the villains should represent the "Red Peril" and the "Yellow Menace".

You know, angry Communist comrades threatening to bury the capitalists, along with fearsome Commissars and their slant eyed, buck toothed underlings vowing to defeat the freedom-loving Americans.

Those images might not play too well today.

If the modern retelling of these stories has dramatic action with humor and satire, and includes characters that have human problems and imperfections, then the movie makers achieved their goal of capturing the tone that made the Marvel silver-age popular.

That is what I enjoy about the latest Marvel movies, and I believe that's why they are so successful, despite the deviation from Marvel cannon.

That being said, I too would have enjoyed a fully realized Mandarin in IM3 (as I stated in another post) but it didn't ruin the story for me.

(thumbs u

Money will continue to drive the casting decisions in these movies. So-called "canon" (a laughable idea in comics) will lose over profitability every time.

Fixed.

What part of "profitability" did you not understand? Demographics drive casting decisions. If you're not casting a wide net with your casting, you're potentially alienating vast segments of the audience. You alienate your audience, you don't make as much money.

Please, never fix my posts. They are perfect as they are, you probably just don't understand them.

Really, please tell me which demographics they're going after. I probably won't understand your answer, but I'm sure I can get one of the smarter boardies here to dumb it down enough for me.

Just by your having asked that question, I'm not sure that there's anyone on earth who could dumb down the answer enough for you to understand it. (shrug)

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Wow, is that an act?

So, you have no point? Are you presuming that the mere existence of "The Incredibles" somehow validates a point you have yet to make?

Because The Incredibles was basically a retelling of the FF?

sw50sw8sw578.gif
No it's not.

Johnny Storm is Caucasian.

The Kingpin is Caucasian.

Nick Fury is Caucasian.

Electro is Caucasian.

Studios feeling the need to cram diversity down our throats is racist. There are many other hero's who are African-American that I would love to see, The Panther, The Falcon.

Sorry rantrant over

I don't think for a second this is some sort of affirmative action thing. Just pick the best man for the job. I'm color blind when it comes to casting as long as the choice is good.

+1 to you Kramerica

With what I've read about Stan, Jack and Steve, is that if they created the Marvel universe now, there would be more racial diversity in the characters, just like the movies are doing.

It just wasn't prudent back in the '60s.

If we really want to stay true to the start of the Marvel universe, almost half the villains should represent the "Red Peril" and the "Yellow Menace".

You know, angry Communist comrades threatening to bury the capitalists, along with fearsome Commissars and their slant eyed, buck toothed underlings vowing to defeat the freedom-loving Americans.

Those images might not play too well today.

If the modern retelling of these stories has dramatic action with humor and satire, and includes characters that have human problems and imperfections, then the movie makers achieved their goal of capturing the tone that made the Marvel silver-age popular.

That is what I enjoy about the latest Marvel movies, and I believe that's why they are so successful, despite the deviation from Marvel cannon.

That being said, I too would have enjoyed a fully realized Mandarin in IM3 (as I stated in another post) but it didn't ruin the story for me.

(thumbs u

Money will continue to drive the casting decisions in these movies. So-called "canon" (a laughable idea in comics) will lose over profitability every time.

Fixed.

What part of "profitability" did you not understand? Demographics drive casting decisions. If you're not casting a wide net with your casting, you're potentially alienating vast segments of the audience. You alienate your audience, you don't make as much money.

Please, never fix my posts. They are perfect as they are, you probably just don't understand them.

Really, please tell me which demographics they're going after. I probably won't understand your answer, but I'm sure I can get one of the smarter boardies here to dumb it down enough for me.

Just by your having asked that question, I'm not sure that there's anyone on earth who could dumb down the answer enough for you to understand it. (shrug)

Just this once, why don't you amaze me with your rapier wit.

I won't hold my breath (thumbs u

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Wow, is that an act?

Was it? I don't remember it being set in the Marvel Universe, for starters... hm

Does it just take four people with superpowers to constitute a "retelling" of the FF story for you? If so, you should have no problem with a black Human Torch...

Ooh, Logan's sarcasm is turned back on him as an ad hominem attack!

:popcorn:

-slym

Trouble is, I'm not being sarcastic (shrug)

You're just emphasizing the wrong words a little too much.

(:

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Wow, is that an act?

Was it? I don't remember it being set in the Marvel Universe, for starters... hm

Does it just take four people with superpowers to constitute a "retelling" of the FF story for you? If so, you should have no problem with a black Human Torch...

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

-slym

And that's the saddest part. :(

Why is it sad?

-slym

You're just emphasizing the wrong words a little too much.

(:

Examples :taptaptap: