• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the REAL 1st app. of Gambit?

52 posts in this topic

I see different guides that say Uncanny X-Men #266 is, others say UXM Annual #14 is, but all have #266 priced way more than the annual.

Opine here, if you will! :)

-slym (no, he didn't 'search' for older threads) :P

I see different guides that say Uncanny X-Men #266 is, others say UXM Annual #14 is, but all have #266 priced way more than the annual.

Opine here, if you will! :)

-slym (no, he didn't 'search' for older threads) :P

if you mean which is the book to own, its the one that the market decides, and it was decided a long time ago, 266

Opine here, if you will!

if you mean which is the book to own, its the one that the market decides, and it was decided a long time ago, 266

Nope, question is just as I asked it.

:)

-slym

Isn't this a topic for the Copper thread? I don't care if it's here, but I feel like that thread needs some love/traffic.

Probably... I wasn't really thinking about it properly, I don't venture down here much...

:sorry:

-slym

Starts off in X-Men Annual #14, and then continues into X-Men #266. But with X-Men #266, it is a full appearance.

To be a little more specific, it actually starts off in X-Men 266 and continues into X-Men Annual #14 but because of a scheduling goof, the Annual hit newstands before X-Men 266.

I'd argue that the Annual is also a full appearance, as Gambit gets just as much panel time as many of the other 20+ characters running through that book. As much as I argue that the Annual should be his first appearance, it's obvious that it was a continuation of X-Men 266.

Starts off in X-Men Annual #14, and then continues into X-Men #266. But with X-Men #266, it is a full appearance.

To be a little more specific, it actually starts off in X-Men 266 and continues into X-Men Annual #14 but because of a scheduling goof, the Annual hit newstands before X-Men 266.

I'd argue that the Annual is also a full appearance, as Gambit gets just as much panel time as many of the other 20+ characters running through that book. As much as I argue that the Annual should be his first appearance, it's obvious that it was a continuation of X-Men 266.

I do agree with you Annual #14 hitting the market first makes it a 1st appearance. I think the gap between the two books is only a few weeks from everything I have read.

As far as the story tie-in goes, I see what you are saying as doesn't Ororo meet Gambit in X-Men #266, and then it continues on into X-Men Annual #14?

X-Men Annual #14 Marvel wiki summary:

At the X-Mansion, Gambit and the younger Storm arrive and survey the damage since they have been gone and Mr. Sinister destroyed the mansion. They enter in a secret hatch and go underground. They are met by Cable and the New Mutants who think of them as intruders and attack. Forge stops them and they go over a plan of attack on Franklin Richards.

X-Men #266 Marvel wiki summary:

In her attempt to steal back some stolen paintings, Ororo has run right into the Shadow King's trap. She desperately struggles against the attacks of his Hounds and, after hurting the King with her haphazard weather power, she falls into a pool, from which she is rescued by a charismatic young thief who calls himself Gambit and has mutant powers himself. Gambit almost manages to mesmerize the King's aide Lian with his charm, but is attacked by the King himself. Together, though, the two thieves manage to trick their attackers and flee via the roof and Storm's parachute.

# 266 is the 1st appearance storywise but the annual hit the stands first because of the shipping schedule. The annual is never going to be worth much.

It was discussed in depth in a recent thread, I think it might've been in the Copper forum. It'll probably show up with a search.

It happens first chronologically, but if the annual came out first, it came out first. Still, it's just a cameo, right?

It happens first chronologically, but if the annual came out first, it came out first. Still, it's just a cameo, right?

It's been years since I looked. But now after it came up a few times, now I want to see for myself. I think it was only a few panels, but we shall see.

Well, it's a lot more than a brief cameo. His appearance even involves some speaking parts, though sometimes without the traditional Cajun accent.

Based on X-Men Annual #14 hitting the market first, here is the first glimpse of Gambit.

yGKYB07.jpg

He then learns a few things about tangling with Cable.

OgxhoPIl.jpg

Is in two panels when the teams are meeting to talk about next steps.

sZ1Xcb7l.jpg

Has to duck Reed Richard's right elbow.

1eAOHU7l.jpg

Appears to be making a non-Cajun taunt.

mDw8HsOl.jpg

And then seems to be watching on as the drama continues.

T747MxWl.jpg

So more than I remembered in what was an already jam-packed appearance annual. Pretty impressive for a new character, though nothing to indicate how popular he was to become.

If Marvel says 266 is it, then that is what I would go with!

:)

-slym

Sorry, but someone else had a question.

You may have missed this.

X-Men #266 is definitely the one most fans would lean towards more than Annual #14. But you can see now why there is confusion since the timing was so close.

(thumbs u

Common sense dictates that if X-Men Annual #14 was published first and he was mentioned as well as appeared in a few panels and spoke then surely that is his first appearance (shrug)

I can understand completely where you are coming from. Timing-wise, X-Men Annual #14 hit the market first.

But when you read the story, it references portions of X-Men 265-267. So I think this is where the market made a decision based on the content.

Blame Slym.

:baiting: