• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ah, the good ol' days...

22 posts in this topic

when i was younger and buying an old comic that was a key issue as long as it had a cover i was fine with it.i remember my younger brother buying hulk#181 for $30 in the 80s that was in nm-m and when he had it cgcd it came back a 7.0. he sure did read that one a few times though.

Does this happen to everyone as they get older? Is it a sign of responsibility, say the same thing as when you get a new car and want to keep it washed & waxed, and not have any scratches or dings on it? Or is this part & parcel of being a collector?

Opine here, please!

-slym

I think it has more to do with "preservation", or that’s how it’s for me.

I was already a bit orderly as a little kid, but I started, little by little, to keep things I cared more about (comics, books, etc.) in order when I started collecting Disney comics more systematically when I was about 15-16 years old.

This, however, did not produce immediately a fascination for the "most mint" books, as 1930s italian Disney comics are hard to come by in grade, and also I had little cash when I was 15, so I was just happy when I could afford one…

I may say that my attidude sharpened when I picked up once again comic books (US editions) collecting. Since conservation is a more sensitive issue I started to care more about it, but I am usually happy with comics (or books) in mid to high grades, and settle with no problems to lower grades when we are speaking of 1930s or 1940s material (and older). :)